The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Time for Francome to go?

Home Forums Horse Racing Time for Francome to go?

Viewing 17 posts - 375 through 391 (of 865 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 201

Less than 5 minutes in and we’ve had the horses galloping on concrete again, and a repeat of the wanky poetry from last year. Bet they do the same as last year and replay that awful poem again, just as they’re circling at the start.

Roll on channel 4.

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 921

Good to see Sir Peter O’Sullevan reflecting on the years of BBC Grand National coverage since 1960. The BBC seems to be marking the passing of its Grand National years in a dignified and restrained fashion, and letting the pictures and commentaries tell their own story.
    Pity the contributions from him on Thursday were so short.
    One thing I will be glad to see the back of during races is having Richard Dunwoody and Mick Fitzgerald popping up at least three times during races to give their in-racing comments. Totally unnecessary and self-indulgent. Admittedly, Mick Fitzgerald, in particular, does it very well and fluently but we don’t need it, certainly not three times during a race.
    Just let the commentary tell its own tale, without expert analysis during the race as well as interminably afterwards.
    John Parrott and Gary Wiltshire seem determined to maintain their shallow, superficial and uninformative betting "information" to the end. Facing pulling, gurning and weak jokes are no substitute for proper betting analysis.
    Mind you, it will be Tarns next year…..

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Why do the BBC show footage like that ?

CrustyPatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 921

The emphasis has inevitably and rightly been on the tragic aftermath to the Grand National but the BBC should be praised for its excellent coverage of the three days at Aintree.
    The programmes were professional, interesting and well handled. Clare Balding did a very good job, bringing a sure-footed, well-informed approach to the task.
    Mick Fitzgerald surprised and impressed me. His post-race analysis of the races was invariably detailed, confidently and fluently delivered. He mastered the colours and names of the horses to such an extent that he could instantly identify them in what were often distant aerial shots where many people would be hard-pressed to name them in any sort of correct order.
    That’s obviously what he is paid to do but not everybody in that position does it so well. As we all know, ex-jockeys can often be extremely mealy-mouthed, gaffe-prone and hesitant.
    Ian Bartlett, of course, deserves similar praise because, for the detailed fence-by-fence reviews of the races over the Grand National course, he would have had to make his way over from his race commentary position to the studio, no doubt having to fight his way through crowds.
    Richard Pitman was on good form for his swansong and Richard Dunwoody and Rishi Persad also played a valuable role.
    John Parrott and Gary Wiltshire are obviously the weakest links, providing only a tiny fraction of the statistics and information you would expect from McCririck.
    I had to smile that Jim McGrath managed to excel himself by getting in several mentions not only of "scraping the paint" but also a rogue mention of "lucky last". In one race, the leading horse came to jump the "lucky last" (which is the first time I have heard him use the expression at that point during an actual race commentary).
    It was poignant to hear 94-year-old Sir Peter O’Sullevan reminiscing about Aintree magic moments. He struck the right note, provided a valuable insight and did not overdo it.
    It’s the end of an era because the race is heading to Channel 4 next year. Leaving aside the ad breaks and sponsorship plugs, which we will have to accept, I very much doubt that Channel 4 will be able to match the professional and polished programmes that the BBC has managed to do this week, in the teeth of a lot of criticism.
    It won’t be the same on Channel 4 but obviously I realise that most people on this forum are relishing the thought of seeing the back of the BBC in racing. It’s a sad day for some of us but let’s hope Channel 4 proves the doubters wrong.

fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

To be honest, I reckon C4 will do a great job – if we can have Balding hosting for the National, that’ll be ace – but what I really want is, that Saturday in April next year, is for Channel Four to start and finish the show with this…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E84G72QYF5E

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Kopwas
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

Does anyone know if James May’s piece on the horse, from the National coverage, is available to see anywhere?

Blocked
    • Total Posts 1667

Less than 5 minutes in and we’ve had the horses galloping on concrete again, and a repeat of the wanky poetry from last year. Bet they do the same as last year and replay that awful poem again, just as they’re circling at the start.

Roll on channel 4.

The wanky poetry was also featured during the Cheltenham Festival coverage. It doesn’t look like it’s going anywhere :(

Does anyone know if James May’s piece on the horse, from the National coverage, is available to see anywhere?

Here you go;-

http://transmission.blogs.topgear.com/2 … tary-team/

Kopwas
    Participant
    • Total Posts 148

Thanks a lot, that’s great :)

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Wondering who will do the commentary for next year’s National for Channel 4 and on the course? For C4 must assume Simon Holt will be the lead commentator assisted by Richard Hoiles and Stewart Machin, but those last two currently do the course commentary so wonder who will replace them?

• Total Posts 153

Wondering who will do the commentary for next year’s National for Channel 4 and on the course? For C4 must assume Simon Holt will be the lead commentator assisted by Richard Hoiles and Stewart Machin, but those last two currently do the course commentary so wonder who will replace them?

Think its about time we had a change Phil. I for one think its about time the wider audience were introduced to the other commentators on the roster. Albeit a lowly card yesterday at Gosforth, Mark Slater would have been a voice many have never heard on Terrestrial. Clearly politics, but nice too see the prominent ATR commentators getting a gig on C4. How many times have we heard Simon or Stewart shouting over the top of Mark Slater, Malcy T or Darren O???

• Total Posts 153

The emphasis has inevitably and rightly been on the tragic aftermath to the Grand National but the BBC should be praised for its excellent coverage of the three days at Aintree.
    The programmes were professional, interesting and well handled. Clare Balding did a very good job, bringing a sure-footed, well-informed approach to the task.
    Mick Fitzgerald surprised and impressed me. His post-race analysis of the races was invariably detailed, confidently and fluently delivered. He mastered the colours and names of the horses to such an extent that he could instantly identify them in what were often distant aerial shots where many people would be hard-pressed to name them in any sort of correct order.
    That’s obviously what he is paid to do but not everybody in that position does it so well. As we all know, ex-jockeys can often be extremely mealy-mouthed, gaffe-prone and hesitant.
    Ian Bartlett, of course, deserves similar praise because, for the detailed fence-by-fence reviews of the races over the Grand National course, he would have had to make his way over from his race commentary position to the studio, no doubt having to fight his way through crowds.
    Richard Pitman was on good form for his swansong and Richard Dunwoody and Rishi Persad also played a valuable role.
    John Parrott and Gary Wiltshire are obviously the weakest links, providing only a tiny fraction of the statistics and information you would expect from McCririck.
    I had to smile that Jim McGrath managed to excel himself by getting in several mentions not only of "scraping the paint" but also a rogue mention of "lucky last". In one race, the leading horse came to jump the "lucky last" (which is the first time I have heard him use the expression at that point during an actual race commentary).
    It was poignant to hear 94-year-old Sir Peter O’Sullevan reminiscing about Aintree magic moments. He struck the right note, provided a valuable insight and did not overdo it.
    It’s the end of an era because the race is heading to Channel 4 next year. Leaving aside the ad breaks and sponsorship plugs, which we will have to accept, I very much doubt that Channel 4 will be able to match the professional and polished programmes that the BBC has managed to do this week, in the teeth of a lot of criticism.
    It won’t be the same on Channel 4 but obviously I realise that most people on this forum are relishing the thought of seeing the back of the BBC in racing. It’s a sad day for some of us but let’s hope Channel 4 proves the doubters wrong.

For one Crusty, Claire didnt do a very good job, constantly interupting anything any one said, including Fitz and Dunwoody Could they actually get a word in???.

Two, Barty as usual had the colours in the back of his mind, job done.

Three, Jim made the terrible error of missing/mixing fallers AGAIN, no excuse. Barty didnt, neither Darren Owen.

BBC Racing into the wind, C4 has supported the Saturday cards(every week), and the very best of luck to them.

Old Applejack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 209

Thought the BBC coverage over the three days was pretty good all told. Clare was fine and Mick Fitz better than expected. Don’t think Dunwoody is quite suited to it and Persad gets no better for me.

The features were good, partic those on GN day itself. Thought they laid on the safety review stuff a bit too thick on the first two days. Clare was quite aggressive in pointing out the loose horse that went round in the Topham having got rid of Tom Scudamore at the first. Given it was the Friday, just preaching to the converted…

I’m glad I’ll be hearing less of Jim McGrath’s commentary, as he’s lost it for me. Too many cliches and errors. In the GN, I think he twice referred to Postmaster as Treacle, who had fallen already. Not sure Treacle had been picked up as a faller earlier, but this was a bit annoying as my wife had money on the Taaffe horse, and was sure it was still involved while I was sure it wasn’t.

I hope C4 will do it ok. The commentary will be fine, and I hope the features will be more than just Francome/Plunkett/Whoever visiting a stable. We’ll have to live with the ads, but hope that 30-second Betfair(?) insert is done away with.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

I’m presuming C4 will use the course commentary, which probably does not bode well for Mark Johnson, as the preferred C4 team would undoubtedly be Simon, Richard and Stewart, which would be a shame as I think the current mix works well (that’s no disrespect to Simon)

I have to say I’m still tingling at Mark’s sublime commentary at the end of Big Bucks race.

The solution could be to adopt a four caller solution, similar to that on BBC Radio.

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

I’m presuming C4 will use the course commentary, which probably does not bode well for Mark Johnson, as the preferred C4 team would undoubtedly be Simon, Richard and Stewart, which would be a shame as I think the current mix works well (that’s no disrespect to Simon)

I have to say I’m still tingling at Mark’s sublime commentary at the end of Big Bucks race.

The solution could be to adopt a four caller solution, similar to that on BBC Radio.

Why do you think they will use the course commentary? I would think this would be most unlikely myself, they don’t do it for other big meetings why would they do it for the biggest race of the year?

Phil could be right with his C4 team but would think the excellent Johnson would be safe for the course one. Would like to see someone like Alan Howes given a chance, don’t whether this is feasible with him being a SIS man but he is very accurate and has an excellent voice. Hopefully they won’t bring Catt back (sorry Catt).

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Why do you think they will use the course commentary? I would think this would be most unlikely myself, they don’t do it for other big meetings why would they do it for the biggest race of the year?

Phil could be right with his C4 team but would think the excellent Johnson would be safe for the course one. Would like to see someone like Alan Howes given a chance, don’t whether this is feasible with him being a SIS man but he is very accurate and has an excellent voice. Hopefully they won’t bring Catt back (sorry Catt).

I think Aintree would want to retain their current commentary team if at all possible and with two of the team being in the C4 "first team" I’m sure there will be a desire to come to an understanding.

Also using the course commentary will reduce production and commentator costs and with C4 paying for the new coverage rather than being paid to cover the racing then costs will become more important and I think there will be more and more sharing of course and C4 commentary.

For example Simon and Richard have been the on-course callers at Royal Ascot for donkeys years now and I am certain Ascot will not want to lose them (bearing in mind Ascot only have three "preferred" commentators – the other being Jim McGrath, plus Mike Vince for Shergar Cup and Champions Day) – so I would go 1.01 that C4 will be carrying the course commentary from Royal Ascot.

If C4 did have their own commentary for the GN (assuming it is run of course) then my money would be of an on-course team of Mark Johnson, Ian Bartlett and Darren Owen (although if BBC Radio lose the radio rights I would make it John Hunt instead of Darren Owen)

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

I’m presuming C4 will use the course commentary, which probably does not bode well for Mark Johnson,

Mark Johnson might just be visible enough on the radar of C4 to be used in a three- or four-person commentary unit, for all that the his involvement with the channel has been primarily as an athletics anchor up to now.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

If C4 did have their own commentary for the GN (assuming it is run of course) then my money would be of an on-course team of Mark Johnson, Ian Bartlett and Darren Owen (although if BBC Radio lose the radio rights I would make it John Hunt instead of Darren Owen)

I would implore C4 to make use of Darren Owen, not least if the worst came to the worst in regard of the ongoing Racetech "death row" situation and he finds himself off the roster come the end of June (a bigger injustice commentator-wise it would be harder to envisage, IMHO).

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 17 posts - 375 through 391 (of 865 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.