The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Time for Francome to go?

Home Forums Horse Racing Time for Francome to go?

Viewing 17 posts - 205 through 221 (of 865 total)
  • Author
    clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

I am sure that the racing authorities will fight tooth and nail to keep it terrestial every saturday but they should definately had made RUK free to air. with its decent coverage it is a natural showcase for the sport, Like C4 cricket, it would draw in quite a few of those who would have been casual viewers before and firm up punters that might be drifting off to golf or whatever

How should it be funded?

Well racing has declining supporter base but more than plenty of horses and owners. Simple economics. Would the racing itself suffer if there was a decline in owners at the present time? Judging by the number of cards today i doint think so

So, cut prize money a little a fund a free to air channel

If some owners up sticks and a few trainers fck off, so what?

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

I watched the C4 jump races on Grand National Day and I do wish people would stop knocking C4 on this site. Some of us cannot justify the expense of Cable or Satalite channels. I cannot stand football so Sky is a non-starter as all the packages include huge chunks of the infernally boring activity.

C4 do us a good job and it is the BBC that should be got at. They had the Grand Prix in full in the morning and mid afternoon (I fell asleep) when a mid afternoon highlights would have done just as well. We are served very well by C4 for our sport, give them a break they do a good job.

runandskip
    • Total Posts 412

now that it seems that the craven meeting and indeed the silver trophy day at cheltenham will never be televised again,theres no reason why some of this racing cant be move to a sunday when people who work for a living can actually watch it.

Nick Baker
    • Total Posts 82

now that it seems that the craven meeting and indeed the silver trophy day at cheltenham will never be televised again,theres no reason why some of this racing cant be move to a sunday when people who work for a living can actually watch it.

that kind of makes sense, except you can’t have all the meetings on a weekend, so there are always going to be the odd good untelevised race midweek.

• Total Posts 980

I watched the C4 jump races on Grand National Day and I do wish people would stop knocking C4 on this site. Some of us cannot justify the expense of Cable or Satalite channels. I cannot stand football so Sky is a non-starter as all the packages include huge chunks of the infernally boring activity.

C4 do us a good job and it is the BBC that should be got at. They had the Grand Prix in full in the morning and mid afternoon (I fell asleep) when a mid afternoon highlights would have done just as well. We are served very well by C4 for our sport, give them a break they do a good job.

BBC also had a highlights programme of the F1 later on.

I agree that without Sky, Channel 4 is better than adequate although I perhaps should point out that the basic Sky package includes AtTheRaces for £1 extra a month, you don’t need the expensive Sky Sports pacakge, ATR is included in the ‘News & Documentaries’ pack.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1416

BBC are worse, in that they now hardly ever have a Saturday afternoon card. Even when they do, it usually gets shuttled over to BBC2. They have replaced racing with mundane field and motor sports.
    The beeb are worse than C4 in that respect, it is just that Newmarket is a C4 track so they were naturally in the firing line for dumping the Craven meeting.

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

I find motor sport unbelievably dull too, but unfortunately it isn’t the majority view.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1416

Today is a good example of the BEEBs shocking racing schedule. The poor ‘analogue’ punter is missing a great Ascot card that used to be a regular TV fixture, two listed races and the G3 Sagaro.
    BUT they get to watch that really exciting armchair sport of snooker all week :?
    WTF are they thinking?

Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

Totally agree that its amazing that neither the BBC (or Channel 4 for that matter) were bothered to televise today’s high quality card at Ascot. Unfortunately it just shows how far down the pecking order the idea of televised horse racing is nowadays.

I think the people who run snooker pay the BBC to televise thir sport, but the BBC has to pay racecourses and they can’t be bothered as no-one in BBC Sport either likes or cares about the sport.

Claire Balding says that once the 2012 Olympics has come and gone the BBC will be looking to extend their racing coverage again. I hope it happens, though will be amazed if it does.

• Total Posts 2432

I think the people who run snooker pay the BBC to televise thir sport, but the BBC has to pay racecourses and they can’t be bothered as no-one in BBC Sport either likes or cares about the sport.

No disrespect chief, but the ONE person who didn’t like racing at the BBC has been moved. His name was Roger Mosey. If the Bradford transmetropolitan Mosey, (who was rumoured to have tried to instal a Starbucks franchise on his corridor through a sponsorship deal), had his own way, there would be NO horse racing on the BBC at all.

He was prevented from culling it further – a fellow who knows told me his long term action plan was to televise the Grand National and that’s it – before he was eventually relocated to the East London Redevelopment Agency.

Mosey

hated

horse racing – up till that point, BBC and horse racing were like Posh and Becks, Morecambe and Wise, Cecil and Cauthen. If Rodders gets his act together and doorsteps Barbara Slater, 2012/2013 should see a reversal.

Loads of people at the BBC love horse racing, philwalker. Read the other thread on this subject.

Interestingly, in a 2008 poll of long term inmates of Broadmoor and Rampton, snooker was THE number one televised sporting activity and Bargain Hunt the number one general interest programme.

• Total Posts 980

At least the BBC would never show the first circuit of the Grand National & then just as they go over Beechers for the second time go, ‘to see the rest of this, press the red button now so we can show Cash In The Attic’ which is effectively what they’re doing with the snooker (and darts)

• Total Posts 2432

The Broadmoor lunatics’ favourite show might actually have been "Cash in the Attic", Anthony. I might be mistaken.

Is that the one hosted by the bloke with the Panama Hat and the gap in his front teeth?

• Total Posts 980

The Broadmoor lunatics’ favourite show might actually have been "Cash in the Attic", Anthony. I might be mistaken.

Is that the one hosted by the bloke with the Panama Hat and the gap in his front teeth?

No, that’s Bargain Hunt. Or maybe he presents both. They all look the same after a while! Much like the snooker.

• Total Posts 2432

I’m sure I saw him rummaging about a confined space with Carol Vordermann the other week, just before a Plumpton meeting. Oh well…serial killers love him and the green baize, allegedly.

• Total Posts 2432

Riveting, this snooker.

Instead of the Sagaro Stakes in front of 20,000, boxer short-clad Scrumpy Jack drinkers and potheads were treated to this feast by the BBC on Wednesday afternoon.

Two commentators whisper to each other in the background, despite their being a Kevlar-Perspex viewing window six inches thick between them and the players.

"If he’s not careful Dennis, he’ll go in off the blue. And that would be a shame."

(A gap of about twenty five seconds ensues. The young well presented cueman contemplates the shot. A pin drops and you can hear it vividly. Someone coughs in the audience disturbing the quiet. Somewhere in Bilsthorpe, an unemployed teenager with twitchy thumbs holds his remote like a scimitar and contemplates switching to "Murder, She Wrote". The cueman bends; takes the shot. Another gap ensues of about twenty seconds.)

"Yes, you were right there John," whispers Dennis. "He’s gone in off the blue. That’s a shame. He was potting so well…"

No wonder residents of our most secure mental institutions revel in this stuff. Well done the BBC on catering for the minority interest. :D

• Total Posts 980

I hate to break it to you Max but racing is a minority interest too.

Incidentally, the commentators still have to whisper because they hand out earpieces to the crowd so they can listen to the commentary too.

• Total Posts 2432

Post by anthonycutt » 30 Apr 2010 17:09

I hate to break it to you Max but racing is a minority interest too.

Culturally, socially, economically and philosophically, horse racing is a massive pastime in this country – still the sixth largest industry in the fourth biggest economy in the world.

It is not a minority interest. Water polo is a minority interest.

Certain transmetropolitan executives in the media and press – with their meetings, ironed boxer shorts, forty five quid hair cuts and perma-warmed coffee beakers – have, in true Orwellian fashion, broadcast an alternative belief to suit their agendas.

It looks like you’re buying into the doublespeak too, anthonycutt. On a racing forum too – you should have more pride in your sport.

The Sagaro stakes should have been televised. As should the Craven. Taken in that context, a moribund seventies pub game should not have enjoyed two weeks of devoted wall-to-wall coverage – using our money too.

Viewing 17 posts - 205 through 221 (of 865 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.