The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Time for a wage Cap?

Home Forums General Sports Time for a wage Cap?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Just read today that apparently Chelsea offered Kaka £10m a year and Man City offered Kaka £15m a year to sign for them.

The money has just got ludicrous in football and surely the time has come for a wage cap. Its destroying the competitive nature of the game and inflating the egos of men, making them think they are better than they are. Surely no one is entitled to get paid more than a couple million a year?

What do you guys think?

Steerforth
    • Total Posts 122

I think I wish I was Kaka :lol:

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

Can’t agree Doughino. If someone wants to pay an individual that sort of money, let them. Why should some third party (be it government or Football regulating body) interfere?
    How many times have you read that government ministers or sports bodies think that Golfers, Tennis Pro’s. Boxers, Basketball players, F1 drivers, Jockeys etc. should have a wage cap?
    Why are people against the free market when it comes to footballers?
    It may be silly money, but what right has a third-party to set a wage limit?
    Should pop-stars, film stars, classical musicians, authors, be subject to a cap?
    Next, people will be advocating that business entrepeneurs should not be allowed to earn above a certain figure!
    Sure, I’m envious of people earning mega bucks, but recognise that envy is no basis to legislate..

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

A wage cap is necessary because football clubs are going to the wall in attempting to entice players to their club. How are smaller clubs ever supposed to begin to compete if they can’t get the players.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

In the same way that small theatres who can’t afford Helen Mirren, etc. do. They will just have to buy the players who can’t command top wages. Cut ones cloth….etc.
    What percentage of professional footballers in the UK earn over £50k per week?
    " " " " " " " £20k " " ?
    " " " " " " " £10 k " " ?
    " " " " " " " £5k " " ?
    " " " " " " " £2k " " ? " " " " " " " £1k " ?
    What percentage of professional footballers in the UK end their career so rich that they need never work again?
    I don’t know the answer to those questions, but I suspect we exaggerate the wealth of the average pro. merely because we keep on reading about the excessive wages at the top of the game.
    The market will sortt hings out and we should let it.. No one forces little clubs to pay wages they can’t afford, anymore than say, the local fishmonger pays his staff more than he can afford. If they do, they’re chumps and deserve to go to the wall.
    Why should a well-run outfit than can afford to attract top soccer stars and pay them a top wage be stopped from doing so because some clubs are run badlyThe market will sort things out (it did with Leeds), and clubs will get the players they deserve, be it Kaka or the one-legged, part-time clogger.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Ok I agree that the best should get paid handsomely, and to my mind £2m a year is a good wage. Over 10 years thats £20m. thats not at all bad. Really the point is that paying £15m a year for one player is not healthy in the long run.

insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

It’s difficult to get an up-to-date, accurate list of the best paid sportsmen in the world although…
    http://amabute.wordpress.com/2009/02/25/top-10-of-everything-2009-top-10-highest-earning-sportsmen/
    is a start.
    The general impression I’ve got from trawling the internet is that Tiger Woods is way out in front and that only 2 footballers figure in the top 10 (Beckham and Ronaldinho), although that might now change.
    Golf, Basketball and motor sports are prominent and there’s one boxer. So, has anyone heard of calls for these sports to have wage caps?

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

I dont know about american sports but there is a slight difference between Football and Golf/Tennis/boxing etc. For one example, Tiger Woods wins so much because he is the best. He wins tournament after tournament. And as a result wins more money. In football a player can win nothing, play utter garbage, be injured, get suspended and yet still gets a whopping wage.

Maybe its not a wage cap but a pay as you play or greater emphasis on win bonuses thats required?? Give players a good basic and top it up with win bonuses, trophy bonuses etc…in much the same way golfers have???

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.