The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tim Pitt

Home Forums Horse Racing Tim Pitt

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    alan1
    • Total Posts 167

Does anyone know anything about Tim Pitt, he seems to take these moderate horses from other trainers and not only turns them into world beaters, but is also able to run them every other day!!

He’s fast becoming the new Martin Pipe (flat version obviously!)

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Copied and Pasted this from Racing Post site.

IT DOES no harm to be well connected in racing and Tim Pitt, who saddles his first runner as a trainer when Genoa Star turns out at Southwell today, has powerful backing, writes David Lawrence. He has recently been appointed salaried trainer to businessman and football agent Willie McKay and, although unwilling to reveal specific names, Pitt admits that some of his other owners are "quite high profile".<br>Pitt has had the right grounding to cope with big players, as he learned his craft as assistant with the likes of P eter Chapple-Hyam and John Gosden, before polishing his skills in the role of head groom at Colin Tinkler’s stable.<br>However, having been granted his own licence three weeks ago, the 31-year-old is taking nothing for granted and said yesterday that he is content to "learn to walk before I think about running".<br>Pitt added: "Willie’s contacts in football and business, especially in Monaco, mean I have the support of some very important and quite high-profile owners, but I know results will be what I’m judged by.<br>"I think we’ve got some very nice horses here, including the eight yearlings, and it’s up to me to get the best out of them.<br>"I’m trying to be realistic about Genoa Star’s chances, because she’s running in an auction maiden and is rated 45 for a reason, but she’s been working nicely and if she runs well I’ll be satisfied that we’ve got off to a solid start."<br>Pitt added: "I’ve got some great staff, including Jamie O’Reilly, the apprentice who rides for us at Southwell. His 7lb claim will be an advantage in a race where Opal Warrior is the one to beat."<br>Debut trainer<br>Name: Tim Pitt<br>Age: 44 Stables: Martin Grange, Bawtry, Doncaster, South Yorkshire Background: Joined Jim Old as pupil assistant aged 20.<br>Subsequently assistant trainer to Peter Chapple-Hyam, John Gosden and Gerard Butler before spending two and a half years as head groom with Colin Tinkler. Granted licence November 10 Targets: "I’m aiming to finish a barn being constructed alongside the stables and fill the 42 boxes that will give us. We’ve got 16 horses in right now, eight yearlings and eight older horses, and I’m hoping we can win a few races on the all-weather before next year’s turf season."

John Egan has quite an involvement in the yard as well. Pretty sure it is more than just stable jockey. They have had an excellent year and rarely leave the money behind when they have a tilt at the ring.

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

He’s operating out of Vicky Haigh’s yard in Bawtry, from which Ms Haigh was evicted by Willie Mckay around Royal York time in 2005.

Originally the intention was for the Bawtry site to serve as a Flat-oriented satellie operation for Richard Guest (and that was still the stated aim for most, if not all that summer), but in the end McKay decided to advertise for a permanent trainer there to run Bawtry as a distinct entity.

At the start of this year Guest was still asserting that certain of McKay’s Flat horses would be returning to him from Bawtry to embark on hurdling campaigns, but the fact that the likes of Magnus Opus are now appearing in hurdles declarations as still trained by Pitt would suggest this is no longer the arrangement.

Most of Pitt’s initial string were indeed ex-Guest Flat horses – they included Les Arcs, of course, but also Genoa Star and Yassooma (owned by Tidal Jets), and one of B A Jordan’s numerous animals.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1877

Not sure O Reilly has ridden for the stable since Jordans Light was done under the non triers rule at Thirsk,he seems to be riding in the main for his Dad.<br>Of course the ill fated Eccollo was owned by a couple of Celtic players which led to quite an embarassing situation for Rab Havlin when he won on him at Kempton.

From the Daily Record:-

16 November 2006<br>OLD FIRM DERBY<br>Rangers-daft Rab is called in to ride Celt stars’ horse to stunning win<br>By Keith Jackson<br>LIKE every other die-hard Rangers fan, jockey Rab Havlin is grateful for any win right now.<br>But as the fanatical Bluenose romped home yesterday in the 3.45 at Kempton, he wasn’t sure whether to jump for joy or squirm with embarrassment.<br>Rab’s horse, Eccollo, is owned by two Celtic stars, midfielder Stephen Pearson and goalie David Marshall.<br>And the red-faced jockey had to wear the pair’s colours -green and white hoops.<br>Eccollo had won his last three races before yesterday’s opener at Kempton and was 2-1 on to make it four in a row.<br>So when his regular jockey John Egan called off with flu, Rab was delighted to be offered the ride.<br>But then Pearson’s agent, Willie McKay, broke the news about the silks he’d be wearing. Willie said: "Rab was a bit taken aback.<br>"But he said it would be OK – as long as there were no pictures taken. He’s a big Rangers fan and he didn’t want anyone to know."<br>Sadly for Rab, of Saltcoats, Ayrshire, no one told the press photographers at the meeting.<br>And he admitted afterwards: "Obviously, it was very difficult for me wearing the Celtic colours.<br>"I’ve supported Rangers all my life and I’ll have to keep my head down when I get back home.<br>"But on a serious note, I was delighted to ride a winner for the lads.<br>"I just wish Rangers were in their position."

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8820

Not Jim’s fav jockey then.

Grey Desire
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1877

Happy as Larry looks like another ex Godolphin horse that should be running up a sequence judged by the way it won yesterday at Wolves.

Shadow Leader
    • Total Posts 763

I think a lot of Tim’s success stems from him being a very good horseman and very shrewd.  He certainly knows the time of day when it comes to horses and is very good with them.  He’s an intelligent man, too.

non vintage
    • Total Posts 1268

Shadow, are you in lurve?

;)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.