The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Tidal Bay – a losing tale!

Home Forums Horse Racing Tidal Bay – a losing tale!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    JimF
    Participant
    • Total Posts 111

My son placed a bet of £100@9/1 on Tidal Bay in the Arkle at 12.01 today. He placed the bet with Blue Square via Oddschecker, having clicked on ‘Tidal Bay’ in the Arkle market. The bet went through without incident.

After Tidal Bay won it remained unsettled, when he eventually phoned Blue Square he was told that the bet was for the Royal and Sun Alliance and that an email had been sent to him at 1325 saying:

"The link you followed from Oddschecker incorrectly placed the bet on the Royal and SunAlliance Chase rather than the Arkle Trophy. If you would like the bet to be replaced on the Arkle Trophy today please contact our customer service department on 08005870500."

Needless to say he didn’t see the email until Blue Square mentioned it to him on the phone, long after the race.

Presumably Blue Square have a catch all rule, but does anyone think that he might have a case if he goes to arbitration?

dandan
    • Total Posts 199

If they’ve any heart at all they’ll sort him out – assuming the link from oddschecker was from the Arkle market it and he was directed to the wrong place I think he should be paid, despite the fact that technically the hoeness is on the customer to check all bets. If they bothered to ring back, it’s a sign he has some sort of case at the very least. Let us know how this goes?

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

A complicated one, but if it was an administrative error at the bookmaker’s end you would have every right to claim the money. They are legally obliged to honour bets struck with them, and if the bet was agreed by all parties to be for the Arkle and it’s their own error, then you should be OK. If it is the fault of oddschecker or anything else, then Blue Square have something to hide behind and you might well struggle.

JimF
    Participant
    • Total Posts 111

they will argue if it lost would he be saying he actually meant to back him for the Sun Alliance for which he will undoubtedly be a non-runner?

They might do, but it was his intention, and obviously so from his actions, that he wanted to back Tidal Bay in the Arkle … As I said, he was viewing the Arkle market on Oddschecker. He then clicked on the Blue Square price to place a bet, that then opened a Blue Square betting slip, he completed the log-in details and amount, then placed the bet.

In these circumstances, would anyone even think of checking details beyond the correct selection name and amount?

Zoso
    • Total Posts 479

There would not be a case. All you can ask is for Blu Sq to pay out on the bet. If they refuse then your son loses. You wont be winning any legal case, so just have to hope Blu Sq have the decency to pay out, but that is totally at there own discretion.

Oddschecker have a disclaimer saying they cant be held responsible for anything that happens. So no getting any money from Oddschecker.

Blu Sq did contact your son to ask him before the race. Although it is an unfortunate incident, you dont have a leg to stand on in terms of getting paid out on the bet legally.

Only option is be nice and polite to Blu Sq and try and talk them into paying out. Do not threaten them with action as they will laugh at you and say bring it on, if you become aggressive. They either will or they wont but it cant hurt to try.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Surely it’s down to what time the overnight declerations are made.

If he was already declared a non runner for the RSA I would think if you very nicely explained to them you were not at home and never saw the email plus you couldn’t possible want to bet a horse you knew he wasn’t going to run then you have a chance. The fact that the whole world new he was running in the Arkle they should see sense and pay you out
    if the bet was made after the horse had not been declared how on earth was their website not up to date?

If it was notthen they are as much to blame IMO If everything as it seems If they don’t want to pay don’t threaten them will legals……talk to someone higher up if you can…….The person making the decisions just now are playing by the book and Management are the only people who can make a decision in your favour…….waste of time talking to staff.

JimF
    Participant
    • Total Posts 111

Thanks Zoso, I’ll pass on your good advice … it just seems so unfair to me.

FoF, I’ve just checked, and according to the Racing Post site, Tidal Bay is still declared for tomorrow!

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

I saw that…….probably with his jumping record they left him in incase he fell early on……..real bummer mate………going to be a tough one I’m afraid.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

So this was when the horse was generally 7/1 but Blue Sq were standout at 9/1 with no one offering 8’s. I saw the same and clicked on it, but when the Blue Sq bet slip came up it was clearly marked on it that the 9/1 was for the Royal and SunAliiance.

JimF
    Participant
    • Total Posts 111

So this was when the horse was generally 7/1 but Blue Sq were standout at 9/1 with no one offering 8’s. I saw the same and clicked on it, but when the Blue Sq bet slip came up it was clearly marked on it that the 9/1 was for the Royal and SunAliiance.

… I didn’t know that, many thanks, it makes a bit more sense now, so clearly the price was well out of line, but I suspect that my son simply ‘knew’ the race as the 2:35 at Cheltenham, rather than the Arkle or the Royal and SunAlliance, but I will ask him about it.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.