The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Three sporting events that should be dumped…

Home Forums General Sports Three sporting events that should be dumped…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    insomniac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1453

1) University Boat Race

2) FA Charity Shield

and

3) Shergar Cup

closely followed by the Olympic games.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4515

How about all Grand Prix races? In comparison the boat race is exciting.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

The American Football Pro-Bowl between the NFC and AFC. It is just a chance for the players to take the missus to Hawaii.

Jockey Club Challenge Whip.

I don’t see why the University Boat Race should be gotten rid off. On the other hand, I don’t see why it should be on television.

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6226

The Charity Shield was renamed the Community Shield years ago.

I thought the Challenge Whip had been dropped recently?

We all have different opinions on sports events. What I consider a waste of time might be what others consider the centre of their sporting year. Each to their own.

Rob

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

One down, two to go, then. :wink:

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6226

I was wrong. The Challenge Whip has been run as a handicap in recent times. Last renewal was in October 2008, a 0-85 handicap with seven runners. Before it was cahnged to this format it was a complete non-event, along with the Challenge Cup which appears to have been ditched after the 2003 renewal.

Rob

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2215

Formula one
    A vile "sport" run by Hitler sympathisers and followed by spotty creeps in denim jackets and thick salesmen who find football too complicated. Noisy, stupid, dirty and crass. huge waste of licence fee too

Boxing
    Good to watch but hammering someones head is not sport

TT Racing
    More like one long body count

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

Tour De France – drug problems and disqualifications mean that few take this seriously anymore.

Davis Cup – enjoy tennis a lot but I think that team events do not work at this type of sport. Existing format is boring anyway.

Arc De Triomphe – over-hyped, over-rated and more atmosphere at a Newton Abbot bank holiday meeting.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

No sporting event should be dumped, just given less television coverage. So the following are occassions I would give less tv coverage too:-

Cricket (The Ashes in particular) – I just aint a cricket fan (especially test match cricket). Perhaps my hatred stems from when it used to interrupt the racing coverage when channel 4 had test match cricket!

The Commonwealth Games – Its a very poor mans Olympics. How can it be classed as a major event when all the good countries cant enter? Its like staging Royal Ascot without any Ballydoyle, Michael Stoute, Mark Johnston, Richard Hannon and Godolphin runners. It becomes 2nd rate.

The Community Shield – most pointless game in the world!

CarryOnKatie
    Participant
    • Total Posts 570

Formula 1, Coca Cola Championship & Olympics.

Maybe the BBC would then have some of their sports budget left for racing!

Seriously, I would dump:-

Ice Skating – It’s not a sport, it’s belongs under the Arts

Any Oxbridge Sporting Occasion (Boat Race, Rugby Union match etc…). Nobody would care if it was University of Gloucestershire vs Bristol uni would they?

Snooker:- Fine in a pub, but not on the telly!

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6226

Tour De France – drug problems and disqualifications mean that few take this seriously anymore.

Ah, so you mean they actually catch the cheats and ban them. So that makes it an event that can’t be taken seriously any more? Slightly better than some sports where cheating on a regular basis is apparently accepted, football for instance.

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

Ah, so you mean they actually catch the cheats and ban them. So that makes it an event that can’t be taken seriously any more?

Yes in my opinion which is why I included it. I didn’t expect to have to explain this…..a lot of tour de france cyclists have been banned because they are cheating by taking drugs etc – footballers and other sports players ( including golfers now ) are drug tested regularly but the results for the vast majority are negative and they are therefore not cheating by taking drugs.

I don’t agree that other types of cheating on a regular basis is acceptable but as the title of the thread asked for 3 sporting events then 3 sporting events is the total that I gave.

douginho
    • Total Posts 1046

Snooker:- Fine in a pub, but not on the telly!

Think your confusing snooker with pool there mate. Pool is played in pubs, not snooker. And I like snooker so I feel its my duty to support it!

crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 788

Ice skating of any kind

:?

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Badminton (the horsey kind) and the other more recent crap fest.

Any sport that approximately 2% of racing viewers bother to watch doesn’t deserve one seconds coverage IMO.

AfleetTreet
    • Total Posts 41

Haha! you think you guys have it rough! LOL! Over here (in the USA) sometimes we have more televised Volleyball or Little League (kids) Baseball than we do haorseracing and RARELY will they even show the horse races on National television but insdtead putting in cable TV channels that many don’t have anyway because they are considered add-on premium channels and therefore a specialty channel. It is tragic ( I have the horse racing channels) to hear about so many people who have to wait to replay a certain race or two over the web because they was no avalability. Sorry but I would MUCH rather watch horse racing than Volleyball or Kid’s Little League Softball! UGH!

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Association Football

– I just fail to see the attraction of a group of overpaid, ill-educated, semi-literates kicking an inflated bag round a field.

Watching a litre of Dulux drying on a humid day holds more attraction.

Formula One

– a criminal waste of money for a "sport" which is not competitive enough because the design of most tracks prevents any decent chance of overtaking and the artificial constraints applied to try and create a level playing field.

Olympic Games

– the true Olympic ideal has been lost as it becomes a cash cow for sponsors and competitors. In August 2012 I will make sure I am on holiday somewhere the other side of the world, preferably somewhere without television, for the duration of the games. I will, however, be back to watch the para-Olympics live as I believe they have not been sufficiently sullied by money and are a more accurate reflection of the Olymipc ideal.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 36 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.