The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

THIS WEEKS GOLFING ROADSHOW

Home Forums General Sports THIS WEEKS GOLFING ROADSHOW

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    wakeman
    • Total Posts 434

Good Morning all, as always to Pete, Mike and Crizzy.

Well after last weeks near miss for Mike And myself and a welcome first winner For Crizzy, sadly Pete had one of those :cry: , but it’s onwards and upwards I say.

Will begin this week with the Ballantines Championship.

K J and Pod dominate the Market here and it is well documented that Mike and myself are both staunch followers of both, but I will pass Master Harrington over this week because I feel that a bit further down there is a winner waiting to happen.

The person in question is Jyoti Randhawa, so he will be my first selection.

Another who acquitted himself well last week was Daniel Vancsik , so while he is on reasonable terms with himself I will give him a run out.

Completing the voting here will be Anthony Kim.

On next to the first of the two supposed shoe ins if the betting is to be believed, this being the Arnold Palmer Invitational.

Right I presume we are all in agreement that Tiger will win, but we will get him beat one way or the other :lol: , with what remains to be seen.

First up here for me will be Vijay Singh, in the hope that he can repeat last years success.

The back up to Vijay is for me a bit tricky, I was just slightly miffed that Sean O’Hair managed to rub my nose in it last week, SWINE, but I am not sure that he can follow up.

My old mate Jim Furyk has had a wretched time of it lately so given the Odds at present is a rather hopeful than confident choice but I cannot pass him up at 40’s.

My 3rd choice will be a small investment on Vaughn Taylor, who performed with credit in this last year, although very hit and miss this year, i get the feeling that a return to one of his best tournament of last year may ignite a little spark :) .

It is with great reluctance that Hunter Mahan, Tim Clark and Daniel Chopra will be relegated to room 101 this week, so get on :wink: .

Moving on to the AT&T Championship and as with Sean O’Hair, Bernard to had to put the knife in, but it just goes to prove that you will not get it right all the time, as much as we would like to of course.

Whilst he and Jay Haas are more than capable of fighting out the finish again Fred Funk will be put in charge for me here, supported by a small investment on Nick Price.

Finally to the Second of the supposed shoe ins if again the betting is to be believed, this being the MasterCard Classic.

As with Tiger we are I presume in agreement that Lorena may as well be presented with the Trophy now given her demolition of all that crossed her last time.

Looking at the alternatives none really spring of the page, so a rather tentative vote will go on the shoulders of Stacy Prammanasudh to hopefully put up a good showing for me.

Well that will do me for now so as always whatever your picks BE LUCKY.

Cheers for now.

Adrian.

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

I’ll probably need to win at the golf this week to cover my Cheltenham losses.

The Ballantines Championship is a new event in S/Korea and Choi or Harrington are the class players who could easily win it but their odds are too short for me. I’ll bet e/way ( top 10 ) on 3 players – Jyoti Randhawa who has been consistent lately, Kane Webber who looks to be hitting form and finished 3rd last week + Scott Strange who should have won recently.

Over in the USA, the tour stays in florida and Tiger Woods hopes to continue this year’s unbeaten run in the Arnold Palmer Invitational which is a difficult par 70 course. Good accuracy and iron play will again be needed. Tiger has won this event in the past but has a poor recent record at this course by his standards and this will be the first difficult course on the pga tour that he’s played this year. I’ll take him on with 4 selections —

One guy who loves playing this course is Sergio Garcia who has finished in the top ten in each of the last 3 years. He would probably have finished 2nd last year if he had not messed up playing the final few holes on the run in……. I just hope he’s got his putter in order :)

This course suits Luke Donald who finished 8th last year and he could go close if continuing his recent improvement. I got in early on BF and surprisingly managed to get odds of 43/1 :o

I’ll continue to follow Hunter Mahan over a cliff and have bet on him at odds of 130/1.

My other selection is an optimistic one on Heath Slocum. This event may be too tough for him but he looks to be coming into form and I’ve bet at odds of 200/1.

The Mastercard classic in Mexico should be won by Lorena Ochoa who looks to have frightened off most of the other top players. I’ll look for e/way returns on Seon Hwa Lee at 25/1 and Eun Hee Ji at 70/1.

Good luck at the golf and also at the greatest show on earth in the Cotswolds :)

Pete

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Here are my quick selections guys – good luck to all.

Ballantines Championship

As much as I think KJ and Padraig will go well, I just can’t have them at the price – way too short for a competitive event.

Jyoti Randhawa continues in good form and is consistently around the top ten so he is my first selection at around 29 on BF. Daniel Vancsik is another who is proving to be a consistent player and I give him a definite each way chance at 40/1 and 46 on BF to win.

A couple of live outsiders I’m backing are Chris DiMarco and Pryad Marksaeng. DiMarco didn’t do himself justic last time he played in Europe but he is a class act and if he is on his game and isn’t jet lagged he should go well at around 80 on BF. Marksaeng is a plyaer who give me a good run for my money a few weeks ago and he is back out to a backable price at around 60.

Arnold Palmer Invitational

Call me a coward, but I’m not having a bet in the win market on Betfair. All my selections for this tournament I’ve backed only in the ‘top 5 finish market’ – the reason – well there’s a Tiger about!

So who’s going to finish in the top five? Well Geoff Ogilvy at last showed some signs of his old self last week on a very demanding course. He is available at 14.5 to place this week and he will do for me.

Now after you have called me a coward, now’s your chance to call me a broken record because once again I’m going for Scott Verplank. The reason I keep coming back to him is that he regularly makes the cut and just one good putting week and he will be right up there – he is 15.5 to finish top five this week and that looks good to me.

My other two selections to place this week are Ryuji Imada at 14 and Boo Weekley at 17.

AT & T Classic

I don’t usually have a punt in these ‘veteran’ events but I like the look of Fred Funk at around 8/1 and I will be backing him to win and I will be backing him big to place as I can’t see him finishing out of the top five – though with Betfair only offering a win market, it has to be an each way bet at the bookies.

Good luck all.

Mike

crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 789

Evening all.. What a day :? Thought I had bad wind :D

To the golf…Hopefully another winner!

Going to back against Tiger (Has to lose at some stage :shock: )?? :shock:

A Palmer

Singh
    Donald
    Campbell
    Pampling EW

Ballantines

Edfors
    McDowell EW
    Webber EW
    Barr EW

Good luck all

SwallowCottage
    • Total Posts 1008

Well done Crizzy with your win on McDowell. That’s two winners in a row for you on the Euro tour – hope you can get the hat trick next week.

Seems that drinking Grolsch really does help in finding golf winners so I’m off to the shops to buy some :)

Pete

wakeman
    • Total Posts 434

Hi all, yes a big pat on the back for Crizzy, maybe they should bring out a Grolsch Export the Carlsberg version seems to be a bit flat at the moment :lol: .

I was like Pete ready to venture to the Cliff Top if Jeev-Milkha had obliged :) i also think that Mike has invested in him recently as well.

I must say that although many burned it up what a Marvellous Course, look forward to next years Tournament.

Cheers for now.

Adrian.

crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 789

Thanks guys. What a thrill. Both in play- offs!
    Just need Mr Singh to oblige now….Won’t get too carried away though :shock:

wakeman
    • Total Posts 434

Morning all, well it appears that putting our eggs in to one basket backfired on this occasion :lol: .

As with yesterday mornings goings on i thought for a moment that Hunter was going to further embarass me as i did not do him this week :) , phew got that right in the end but could only master a place via Vijay, better than nothing though :D .

Will be at the office today so will be back later to see what has been priced up, will have to forward mine tonight or Tomorrow as i have to go to Swindon Tomorrow evening for a meeting on Wednesday and i am not sure what time i will be back.

Have agood day.

Cheers for now.

Adrian.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.