The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

This kinda thing does nobody any favours

Home Forums Horse Racing This kinda thing does nobody any favours

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

Kingsgate Native was favourite for the Nunthorpe, yet the people who backed him weren’t told he was carrying a ‘problem’ from his win at Goodwood.

How many of you would have parted with your money if you had been made aware of this ?

And they want to introduce youngsters to punting on the horses ?

KINGSGATE NATIVE is unlikely to race again this season after the star sprinter suffered the recurrence of an old injury.

The Sir Michael Stoute-trained dual Group 1 winner returned from an unsuccessful spell at stud to land Goodwood’s Audi Stakes, but he returned from that race with a problem that connections believe caused him to disappoint when only sixth in the Coolmore Nunthorpe Stakes last week.

Chris Richardson, managing director to owners Cheveley Park Stud, said: "We are awaiting the results of tests, but it’s probably likely that we’ll put him away for the year. He had swelling in a joint after Goodwood and that has been irritated again, so rather than persevere with him we’ll probably finish him for the year."

Asked if Kingsgate Native would have a second crack at stallion duties, Richardson added: "It’s too early to say. We haven’t made that decision yet, but it will be made in due course."

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

Problem started at Ascot

12 August 2009

However, Stoute said: "I thought it was a classy performance at Goodwood. He had twisted a joint at Ascot, but I knew the race there would make him fitter as he’d been out of training for such a long time.

"He had shown us some glimpses of real pace at home, but he wasn’t being very consistent in his homework. I think hewas just readjusting to being an athlete again, though, and we’re looking forward to the Nunthorpe."

Previous winners out for more Nunthorpe joy

By Jon Lees AND Judy Pearson6.06PM 20 AUG 2009

CONNECTIONS of the last three winners of the Coolmore Nunthorpe Stakes were on Thursday hopeful to varying degrees about their chances of a repeat win at York on Friday.

Borderlescott, whose Nunthorpe victory last year came at Newmarket, Kingsgate Native and Reverence are among 17 sprinters who will be vying for Group 1 glory on the Knavesmire, with the Nunthorpe carrying a first prize of £136,248.

Kingsgate Native is general 5-2 favourite to cap his return from a failed stud career with a second Nunthorpe victory, his first having come as a juvenile.

The four-year-old was an impressive winner of the Group 3 Audi Stakes at Glorious Goodwood last time, and shades two-year-old Radiohead at the summit of the Nunthorpe market.

Chris Richardson, managing director of Cheveley Park Stud, the colt’s owner, said on Thursday: "He came out of the Goodwood race well.

He had a little bit of swelling in a joint but that has settled down.

"Michael Stoute was happy with the way he blew out and can hopefully improve again. He impressed at Goodwood and if he can put his best foot forward again he should be right there."

"I don’t believe the problem has hindered his preparation. He has just been a bit ring-rusty as his muscles and joints are retrained to perform again After six months off it takes time for everything to click back into place."

Nor1
    • Total Posts 384

To be fair:
    if the connections had been negative about his chances, and his odds drifted, and he bolted up, what would have been said?

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Probably the same as what was said after Russian Rhythm won the Guineas!

Kotkijet
    • Total Posts 226

As far as I’m concerned, unless your ear is pressed against the horses mouth (so to speak) you should never allow words to influence your betting. Should you fall foul of this ethos then you should either give up serious gambling or make some friends.

Gambling is a shít business. It even says so in a book written two thousand years ago. If one doesn’t know this, one shouldn’t feel so pitiful when one gets gubbed. It’s one’s own fault.

But that’s just my opinion…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.