The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Real Premier League

Home Forums General Sports The Real Premier League

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    heffo
    • Total Posts 319

Not sure if there are many darts fans who frequent this site. I was just wondering what ye think of The Holsten Premier League.<br>Listening to all the hype, on Sky in particular, in relation to the football ‘premiership’, has got very boring and most annoying. Many of the big, extra hyped games disappoint. <br>In fairness Sky have done alot for many of the sports that they cover. Raising their profile and creating interest.<br>One of the biggest benifactors has been the sport of darts. <br>Alot of people don’t rate darts, say that it’s boring and what not. I know of no other game that can go through such dramatic swings. A game of millimeters, even a professional can look unbeatable in one leg and like the pub mug the next.<br>The PDC world final last January is a classic example of how brilliant the sport can be. 3-0 down and looking like he was going to be swamped by The Power, van Barneveld fought back, inspired by some memorable checkouts, especialy significant was a 170 max checkout. He won by a sudden death leg, 7-6 in sets.<br>This years Premier League Darts has continued on from the world championship. The standard exceptional. The averages high. Very rarely do the high profile games dissapoint. <br>I’d encourage anyone to go to a PDC tournament. Particularly a 1/4 finals, semis or final night. One of the best nights out you could have, especially if you like a pint.<br>Just realised that I would make an excellent PR man for the PDC…………..CV in the post.:biggrin:  

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2668

I’d generally agree with you, but I believe last night was Week 13 – I know it has a ‘roadshow’ feel to it, but they have to trim it down a bit.  It really is hard to maintain the interest.

Something to note next week as it’s at the Ally Pally which is the new site for the World Championship.

Only complaint is the continuous use of Sid Waddell who is truly a relic of the 70’s.  His attempts to live up to his own publicity by screaming gibberish are just out of date and embarrassing.

Mind the Beeb use Bobby George on the grounds that he’s ‘a character’.  His sole contribution is to repeat the phrase ‘lovely jubbly’ fifteen times a match.  His ability to analyse a game is non-existent.

Mike

heffo
    • Total Posts 319

A regular criticism by darts fans of Waddell, which I whole heartedly agree with,is his insistance on over complicating a simple sport. <br>"Under dipper dart"?"Reverse stacking"? etc. I think maybe he is trying his hardest to be seen as THE most knowledgable pundit in darts.<br>

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.