The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The QE11 4-runner race

Home Forums Horse Racing The QE11 4-runner race

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    dilysb
    • Total Posts 51

What absolute rubbish, surely designed to put off even the most ardent fan.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2215

So the 28 runner handicap was preferable to the most "ardent fan" then?

gumshield
    • Total Posts 119

I’m more of a jumps enthusiast these days, but I have to agree with Clive. A small field, but a good race. Plenty of excitement and high-class performances from the first two.

The addition of a couple of pacemakers and a handful of second-raters would not have made it a better race. Quite the opposite, in fact.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2215

Yes. Just to add, i thought it was a cracking race.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3329

This has the makings of a great reminiscence thread. I’ll start the ball rolling with :

Arkle v Mill House Cheltenham Gold Cup 1964 – 4 runners

Secretariat Belmont Stakes/Triple Crown 1973 – 4 runners

AP

sberry
    • Total Posts 1800

Good point though…

The QE2 today was effectively a racecourse workout/gallop for 4 smart horses, the best one of which finished in front as most sensible people thought, 1 of the others running a bit better than observers may have thought but that happens in gallops – and nearly 240k of prize money was wasted on this workout.

There’s a nice little 8 race card at Kempton tonight which has attracted over 100 runners from the top stables, with ratings of up to 110 and Kieran Fallon et all are riding there and the total prize money for this is about 35k.

So, for the same money wasted on the 4-runner workout today we could have 6-7 eight-race cards like we have at Kempton tonight for over 700 horses/runners and all the money and employment that brings into racing plus all the action it brings for the punters/fans.

I’ve got a feeling I know what your ‘average’ racing fan or punter would like to see…

gumshield
    • Total Posts 119

I’m not going to guess what the average punter wants to see.

But, personally, I’d keep the curtains shut if I lived in a house overlooking Kempton Park.

Gerald
    • Total Posts 4293

AP

Ooh, I’ve got a vaguely connected story from the Pedigree Query websire:-

Sham

Ran the second fastest Kentucky Derby time while finishing second to Secretariat: 1:59:4, despite smashing his face on the gate at the start and losing teeth in the incident.
    Retired after the ’73 Belmont S.

Also:-

25Aug07 Curragh (7Sft ,RPR121)
    I see New Approach as a European version of Secretariat. Like him, he’s a chestnut with white legs, and I think his style of racing is the same. We will have to choose between the National Stakes and the Goffs Million two days before the National Stakes. We’ll have a good think about it before deciding. He is a very strong colt and will go on improving. I think he will stay middle distances, as his dam Park Express won the Irish Champion Stakes for us – [trainer]

In addition to which, The Big Red One is my favourite Lee Marvin film, apart from the ones with Angie Dickinson in :wink: , and The Dirty Dozen, obviously.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Just come back from attending both Ascot and Kempton today/tonight. As much as I enjoyed the laid back ambience of Kempton the difference in the attendance and level of excitement showed that people want quality and they got it in spades at Ascot.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Give me quality over quantity any time and tomorrow’s Ascot card looks to be a cracker as well – can’t wait to be there.

bbobbell
    • Total Posts 591

This has the makings of a great reminiscence thread. I’ll start the ball rolling with :

AP

Not to mention Arkle V Mill House Cheltenham Gold Cup 1965 4 runners

ArKle v Mill House 1965 Gallagher Gold Cup 7 runners – track record easing down by 20 lengths carrying 12st 7lbs.

Brigadier Gerrard V Mill Reef V My Swallow 1971 2,000 Guineas 6 ran

Rob V
    • Total Posts 173

Anyone remember the 3 runner 1985 Prince Of Wales Stakes … when Bob Back sprung a 33-1 shock by beating Pebbles and Commanche Run?

I thought Zacinto was gonna pull off a similar shock in the QE2 :lol:

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

AP

Secretariat’s was a one horse race :wink:

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5628

Benson & Hedges Gold Cup 1972 5 runners

Crap race long forgotten

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3140

Give me quality over quantity any time and tomorrow’s Ascot card looks to be a cracker as well – can’t wait to be there.

Couldn’t agree more, how can the BBC not want to cover it, bring back Jonathan Martin.
    It’s spoiled by having to make do with ATR covering the meeting, the coverage is great until the actual races, they’d gone a furlong on the BBC while they were still in the stalls on ATR :evil:

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Desert Orchid beating Panto Prince in the Victor Chandler – 5 ran

Dubai Millennium winning the QEII in 1999 – 4 ran

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Dawn Run beating Buck House in a match at Punchestown- forget the year!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.