The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Observer on Godolphin

Home Forums Horse Racing The Observer on Godolphin

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569
    Kingston Town
    • Total Posts 1049

Thanks Bluechariot, that’s an extremely good read.

skubie
    • Total Posts 4

The article covers makes many excellent points. It would be very interesting to see the success of Godolphin trained horses versus those trained by outside trainers, is anyone able to produce such statistics?

Those trainers often get the supposed second strings yet the likes of Michael Jarvis, Mark Johnston et al. seem to get very good results, Boscobel for example would not be far off the best of his generation. The contrast with Juddmonte’s operation which sends its horses to a variety of trainers is an example of the benefits of spreading a diverse string.

I was also told by someone at tatts sales last year that John Ferguson has only purchased 11% winners for Godolphin. How true this is I don’t know but that seems suprisingly low considering the resources available.

I guess the moral of the story is that money alone can’t buy success!

the welsh wizard
    • Total Posts 352

I wonder what they had to fill those two pages with if Laverock would have won the King George……

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3772

I wonder what they had to fill those two pages with if Laverock would have won the King George……

They probably had a fair idea that he wouldn’t. :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

the welsh wizard
    • Total Posts 352

If we’d have taken those sort of risks on The Sportsman we wouldn’t have lasted five minu……

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

:lol: :lol: :lol:

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

One swallow doesn’t make a summer

Mr Frisk
    Participant
    • Total Posts 163

Since Crisford was basically conceding defeat earlier in the week, it was a fair chance to take. And even if the horse had won, they had his quotes to use again when they re-worked the intro.

ie. "For a few brief minutes yesterday, all seemed well in the Godolphin universe as they welcomed back Laverock, their winner of the King George at Ascot. But was this a sign of a Godolphin resurgence, or merely a measure of the desperate lack of quality in this year’s renewal of Ascot’s summer showpiece? Godolphin’s own spokesman seemed to suggest the latter explanation just a few days ago. The only Group One that Godolphin can win these days, it seems, is one that does not deserve the status in the first place.

At that point, you’re off and running……

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

Perhaps the Shiek needs to go back to the days when he had all of his horses with public trainers, much the same as his elder brother does and his late brother did. Khaled Abdullah, The Aga Khan, the late Fahd Salman and just about every other influential owner(except, of course, Coolmore) has gone down this road, seperating the training from the breeding.

There is no guarantee of this bringing about a resurgence in Godolphin’s fortunes and it may be impractical to uncouple the training from the breeding, but it is something that should be considered.

No disrespect to Saaed Bin Suroor, but he isn’t a Henry Cecil, Michael Stoute, Micheal Jarvis, Barry Hills or John Dunlop. I’m sure that given the horses, these men would produce better results than the present regime.

The Breeding could be a separate entity and no redundancies would be necessary. Oh, and get rid of those blue colours and send a few more horses to the Northern stables.

benbdb
    • Total Posts 164

While I’d agree that sending the horses elsewhere may have better results for the Sheiks horses that really wouldnt help him much. The point of Godolphin is that it is a living advert for sport in Dubai through being successful. Like Ballydoyle is a living advert for Coolmore stud.

If the horses were elsewhere they might win more but the commercial point of it would be lost.It is therfore more important if they are to survive they go back to their roots and have less horses that are given every possible chance.

And, as the article points out start buying yearlings out of coolmore horses. You only have to look at the stallion tables to realise if you don’t your not going to win as much as someone who does.

the welsh wizard
    • Total Posts 352

One swallow doesn’t make a summer

Makes all the difference to a BJ though

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.