The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Oaks 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion The Oaks 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 164 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

That’s a shame Equi cos I just looked at the fielid and there’s only 12 horse. Couple may come out yet and this is going to be like a stroll in the park for Rainbow View. She’s now only 3/1 and that is generous.

I can’t see there being an exceptionally strong pace in this. Waddat might go of at a rate of knotts but will be ignored. O’Briens got home by the skin of her teeth against the Soute maiden when she made all and I can’t see her even placing in this.

When Jimmy Fortune says go this race will be over in a flash.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

The race doesn’t have the class it looked liked it was going to be, with the ground getting quicker and another hot day tomorrow I think the ground will come GD-FM on the day as the rain isn’t going to be bad and will be light at best.

High Heeled who I like would be ruled out cause she hates it.

Rainbow View doesn’t like GD-FM but I think she is still a player none the less.

Sariska is a worthy favourite in my book after a very good win.

Midday, not sure her form is patchy but ran her Derby trial well, I think Rainbow View and Sariska are a better filly though in terms of class.

Phillpina – No real form for me, and although she lost to some good jockeymanship from Johnny Murtagh, again I find it hard for her to trouble the top 2 in the betting.

Perfect Truth – Think Johnny Murtagh made her look good, and it wasn’tt a good sign how she was tiring which could be a indicator she won’t get 1m4f at Epsom. Again another with pretty poor form prior to Chester.

Oh Goodness Me – If she can get 1m4f she could get some place honours again.

None of the others do much for me.

Sariska and Rainbow View look the obvious choices.

The others dont really interest me.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Perfect Truth – Think Johnny Murtagh made her look good, and it wasn’tt a good sign how she was tiring which could be a indicator she won’t get 1m4f at Epsom. Again another with pretty poor form prior to Chester.

Ah come on, she’s a typical Aidan O’Brien improver. She burnt them all off at Chester over 1m 3f which quite frankly is extremely impressive for a horse that could quite easily get 2m+ on breeding. She had them outpaced 6 out for goodness sakes. I really think this horse will be throwing a lot of eggs and a lot of faces come Friday afternoon.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

That trial was full of horses with poor form going into it, its hard to get excited about the winner or second. Took Perfect Truth 8 runs to lose her maiden tag and her relatives didnt do much either.

The only thing with second was the strong market moves prior for The Oaks.

I should correct myself she won the race at 1m3f so it would enhance her claims but I can’t see the trial being better than The Musidora or Rainbow View’s Guineas run if you take how fast Ghanaati actually finished the 1000 Guineas and how Rainbow View stayed pretty well.

Think Phillpina was the one to take out the race though, she finished pretty strongly.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

RR, you state that Rainbow View doesnt like Good-to-firm (as did JG before and after the Guineas) yet say she’s a big player in your book.

Can I ask why? Surely another negative on top of the trip questions isnt a good thing?

I personally havent wrote RV off yet but just wondered

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

That trial was full of horses with poor form going into it, its hard to get excited about the winner or second. Took Perfect Truth 8 runs to lose her maiden tag and her relatives didnt do much either.

Well she finished a head 2nd on her last start as a 2yo.

And by the way, do you know what else has poor form? That entire Rainbow View-Fantasia form-line. It’s so unbelievably bad.

What won the 1000 Guineas? A 87-rated horse who’d only won on the AW at Kempton. 2nd? Cuis Ghaire, got absolutely mullered vs Rip Van Winkle and he’s done sod all as well. Super Sleuth, Heart Shaped, Lahaleeb, Serious Attitude – all of them have done absolutely nothing. Fantasia beat a load of rubbish in the Nell Gwyn and then disappointed big-time in the Pouliches.

I’d far rather back something that’s light years away from them all.

• Total Posts 2184

I think you have to take too much on trust as far as Rainbow View is concerned. Sariska looks a far more solid option as far as I’m concerned and she may still represent some value even at her current odds. She ran a good trial at York and I don’t think there’s an awful lot else in the race. You’d have to respect Cecil’s filly but it wasn’t as strong trial and I feel she’s short enough for what she’s done.

The fillies on this side of the Irish Sea don’t look an exceptional crop either. Anything Aidan runs deserves respect but Perfect Truth’s form is ordinary. That said, it did take the great Peeping Fawn several runs to break her maiden tag.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Well she finished a head 2nd on her last start as a 2yo.

And by the way, do you know what else has poor form? That entire Rainbow View-Fantasia form-line. It’s so unbelievably bad.

What won the 1000 Guineas? A 87-rated horse who’d only won on the AW at Kempton. 2nd? Cuis Ghaire, got absolutely mullered vs Rip Van Winkle and he’s done sod all as well. Super Sleuth, Heart Shaped, Lahaleeb, Serious Attitude – all of them have done absolutely nothing. Fantasia beat a load of rubbish in the Nell Gwyn and then disappointed big-time in the Pouliches.

I’d far rather back something that’s light years away from them all.

Having backed against her in France I wouldn’t argue that Fantasia is no world beater. The race at Newmarket fooled a lot of people which is often the case with early day trials.

As far as Perfect Truth is concerned she simply doesn’t have any piece of form that would suggest she can win this. Granted AOB can improve horse but when you look back to the filles he has won the oaks with she has an awful lot to find.

Both the unfancied Imagine 11/1 and Alexandrova 6/4 had much better form haing run in Group races the year before. She ran second last year once against a handicapper and the other wasn’t even worth discussing.

She’s gone to Chester and won by outstaying a pretty ordinary lot by the skin of her teeth in a race where the fav was a a maiden.

I think it’s a case that AOB has nothing else to send and if the horse wasn’t owned by CPS she would be running at Dundalk instead of Epsom.

Plus if she was trained by a lesser trainer she would still be the 25/1 on offer after Chester.

I cand find nothing bar the acciation of the names AOB and JM with her that would have me putting 10 pence on her to get a place never mind win.

as I said I agree about Fantasia etc but last season Rainbow View was always head and shoulders above everything she met.

I want keen on her for the 2000 guineas to be honest as she always seemed a too slow to pick up to me. Looking back I came to the conclusion the reason for that was is she actually needs further and found the pace of those races a bit too quick for her, hence he had to be pushed a bit before quickening.

I said after the guineas she looked like she had grown quicker than she had matured and it seems to have been the case. Gosden reckons she has finally come to herself which is encouraging.

Combine the two and you might just have the perfect Oaks horse.

I expect many will disagree on my assumption about the distance but that’s the basis I backed the horse on and we wont know if I am right until
    Friday.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Hello hello, Perfect Truth’s been bought by Coolmore.

And I was looking through O’Brien’s Oaks record. In all the Oaks since 1998, he’s had 3 winners. Shahtoush in 1998, Imagine in 2001 and Alexandrova in 2006. In all the other renewals, he had 2+ entries and failed.

Am so confident about this horse atm. Really think she’s got this in the bag.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

She could win its not the best Oaks, but if this was last year’s Oaks she would have had zero chance.

I still think she isn’t good enough but been at 1m3f already so that will give her experience, but still think Phillipina was the one to take out the race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Oh she wouldn’t have had a chance in last year’s Oaks, no way.

tenbob
    • Total Posts 156

my ludicrous points system

135 sariska
    134 oh goodness me
    131 perfect truth
    131 rainbow view
    129 midday
    124 wadaat
    118 the miniver rose
    114 phillipina
    112 high heeled
    111 tottie

will back sariska to win
    and oh goodness me ew

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I was ‘encouraged’ to back Stoute’s filly prior to her making a winning debut at Doncaster and am fairly content to sh*t on that for a good while yet.

Thats about all your Ante-Post vouchers fit for!

• Total Posts 4293

I think it is about time you were banned.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Encouraging interview with John Gosden. I’m actually not too concerned about her stamina. She doesn’t look like a filly who gets overly excited and as long Jimmy Fortune drops her in and settles her she’ll be fine.

Reading through the lines John Gosden wouldn’t mind if the ground had a bit of cut which leads me to think he isn’t too concerned either.

I do like both Sariska and Midday but this filly had blistering speed at a two year old.

I thought when she ran in the guineas, a race I never fancied her for ,she looked a different filly this year and had possibly grown faster than she had matured and would be a better filly later in the year. The fact John Gosden said more or less exactly the same thing in the press the next day pleasantly surprised me.

I’ve already had a considerable EW bet on her and now we have seen the quality of opposition I’ve decided to take the plunge again. I think Sariska is a huge danger but I am trusting that Rainbow View can produce the same electrifying turn of foot that made her fav for the guineas and win.

Still plenty of 6/1 about which might not be there much longer with John Gosden appearing positive about her chances.

As far as I am concerned this race can put a bit of sparkle into the season and looks to have the makings of a very good Oaks.

FIST, put your money where your mouth is and grab the 7/1, as you say
    if this filly can be settled and covered for 11/4m, she will have too much toe
    for Sariska, Midday and my filly Beauty O gwaun! Whatever Beauty achieves at Epsom i think she is

An absolute certainty

to win the

Irish Oaks

the Curragh is tailor made for her with a bit of cut! Like i said at the start of this thread STAMINA is key! Has Rainbow got it?

Having lost both my Ante-Post bets,(Beauty and Again) i can take an unbiased view on this race and believe its worth taking the "if she stays she wins" risk on Rainbow view, as much as i love Sariska i think the track
    wont suit her! I dont see any other danger!

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Am I the only one who thinks Midday will lead them all a merry dance ? :?

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Come Dancing is on a different channel "H"

I can here the starter now "Take your partners for a slow waltz" :lol:

Viewing 17 posts - 86 through 102 (of 164 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.