The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Oaks 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion The Oaks 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 164 total)
  • Author
    halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Beauty O Gwan is

OUT

of the Oaks

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Oh no; another ante post bet bites the dust. Is it because of the ground? If July Jasmine doesn’t run [and she probably won’t] that’s me finished.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Oh no; another ante post bet bites the dust. Is it because of the ground? If July Jasmine doesn’t run [and she probably won’t] that’s me finished.

Looks like lack of preperation runs according to the reports. Tis a shame though – this one looks destined for stardom when Oxx gets her into a big race routine.

I’ve taken 5/1 on Midday this morning. Thats my Oaks bet

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Yup, July Jasmine gone too. Phillipina looks like Stoute’s only possible runner.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Geezus TAPK will be suicidal when he logs on. With Leocorno gone and now his big two Again and Beauty O’Gwaun are both out.

The joys of AP betting I supppose. :o

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

The King is dead, long live the King.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Can I claim the Crown I took 6/1 Rainbow View.

On second thoughts, let him keep it then we can make a list of what not to back in races :wink:

Just Jesting TAPK always the Irish Oaks if the ground comes up heavy.

I wouldn’t be too happy if I had backed Midday either. They say she is now working in cheekpieces which would suggests she hasn’t been working as well as they hoped. Never fancied her chances anyway as her form stinks. I still maintain SMS’s was given a very easy ride that day and a 6 length defeat of Tottie doesn’t give me any encouragement at all.

I’d rather not think about Sariska she scares the life out of me and Rainbow View will have to get every yard of the trip and more to beat her.

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

The thing about Midday is that 1) We know she handles Epsom and 2) She improved dramatically for the step up in trip.

IF

she combines the two on Friday she will be very hard to beat.

The 5/1 is all gone and she’s slowly shortening to around 7/2. I didnt even know it was decs day when I backed her early today.

Theres no better trainer that Mr Cecil to get a filly spot on for a race like this and that prep run at Epsom may have been the best bit of race training she could possibly have had. It might just give her that slight advantage.

No doubt about it though we’re in for a cracker on Friday

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Rainbow View did a good piece of work with Expresso Star at Epsom on Thursday. Jimmy Fortune was delighted with the way she went and handled Tattenham Corner.

He seems to think she’ll get the trip as she relaxes so well and if she does I doubt Midday will cope with her.

Her form with Gosden’s Debussy is a long way behind what Rainbow View is capable of. That said I have to agree is Henry Cecil does work wonders with horses at time but John Gosden (Raven’s Pass) has his moments too.
    I think her place in the Market is very much down to her trainers rep than what she has actually achieved.

If Rainbow Veiw fails to get the trip she should beat her but Sariska looks a different class of filly to me.

Unlike Midday she won a good race against serious opposition and her place in the maket is stritly on merit.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I can’t quite understand why Sariska has so many fans over this distance. She’s by Pivotal! A 5f sprinter whose progeny generally hardly get 10f. I can’t believe for a single second that she’ll get the trip and given there’s so much pace in the race, I think she’s a phenomenal place lay.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Racecourse evidence overrides pedigree theory any day of the week, Zarkava, and on her York run Sariska has every chance of staying twelve furlongs. Besides, Pivotals stay 7-9 furlongs pretty well and there’s definitely stamina on the dam’s side

Bad luck with Beauty O’Gwaun, TAPK – nice to know that a self-professed genius is struggling to pick runners, let alone winners :wink:

• Total Posts 1511

Wow the Oaks looks pretty average this year….Again and Beauty O Gwuain removals takes a massive piece out of the Oaks Puzzle. Not quite sure who is going to win now. Oh Goodness Me at 20/1 wouldnt be bad bet since she is by Galileo and is destined to stay the Trip along with Midday. Dont really fancy that Rainbow View or Sariska to stay…..Are we destined for a shock 8)

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

I can’t quite understand why Sariska has so many fans over this distance. She’s by Pivotal! A 5f sprinter whose progeny generally hardly get 10f. I can’t believe for a single second that she’ll get the trip and given there’s so much pace in the race, I think she’s a phenomenal place lay.

A horse 77% of the time follows the dam line, being a man of trends you should know this.

Usually the sire brings the class the horse needs.

Dunno how you can question her staying when she got 1m2f better than 1m.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Absolutely spot on Red. It seems to be something a lot of people are willing to ignore on here or just don’t know.

That’s the main reason many people who have wanted mares covered by certain stallions get refused.

I wish Zarkava was correct though as I could go and collect now. :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Racecourse evidence overrides pedigree theory any day of the week, Zarkava, and on her York run Sariska has every chance of staying twelve furlongs. Besides, Pivotals stay 7-9 furlongs pretty well and there’s definitely stamina on the dam’s side

Bad luck with Beauty O’Gwaun, TAPK – nice to know that a self-professed genius is struggling to pick runners, let alone winners :wink:

TAPK knows if you play with fire, there is a possibility you can burn your fingers! Dissapointed but not a surprise! i wont mention your selection
    not turning up as i dont like people losing money! Even you!

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

A horse 77% of the time follows the dam line, being a man of trends you should know this.

Usually the sire brings the class the horse needs.

Dunno how you can question her staying when she got 1m2f better than 1m.

Agree with RedRiot here. You need to look at who Sariska’s sister is (Gull Wing- out of in the wings) and then look at the family her dam comes from. 10f may turn out to be her optimum due to Pivotals influence but she will certainly get 12f. Whether she gets it well enough to win an oaks we’ll find out soon enough.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

The difference, TAPK, is my losses can be accepted because I don’t profess to be a (self-labelled) superstar.

I backed Midday at 6/1 a couple of weeks ago (there’s a post reflecting that somewhere on here) and will be monitoring Sariska closely with a view to having her as a saver.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 164 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.