The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Oaks 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion The Oaks 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 164 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Very surprised Perfect Truth hasn’t been mentioned. I’ve been keen on her since March and was delighted with what I saw at Chester. Call it bias if you will, but visually, I felt of the 6 Oaks trials, she put in much the best performance. The form of all 6 is suspect, but in terms of backing a horse who’s definitely going to get the trip (Galileo-Darshaan mare), who’s definitely going to improve in the region of 10-14lbs and who’s definitely going to act round the course, surely Perfect Truth is the selection?

To have had the opposition off the bridle so far out is incredible for such a stamina-bred filly. Very much looking forward to seeing her run. Not much to beat IMHO.

Have also got Beauty O’Gwaun at 26s (to answer a question on Page 1 – there was a slight gamble on her in late-March from 25s to 16s. Hills + Betdaq layers were slow to react.) but I think she’ll need another run to get rid of her greenness. Would prefer the Irish Oaks for her.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Good point Zarkava, she looks like another run would do just that! but there
    has been good support for the Beauty O Gwaun today! solid at 10/1 currently! i like that!

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Good point Zarkava, she looks like another run would do just that! but there
    has been good support for the Beauty O Gwaun today! solid at 10/1 currently! i like that!

That would be again Pricewise’s doing.

Although it has a chance and should be shorter imo. I still hope Leocorno turns up. Hope she is well tomorrow.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I’m shocked that Leocorno and Sariska are even in the running to turn up at Epsom. 10f may be on the radar through dam influence but 12f just looks impossible.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

I’m shocked that Leocorno and Sariska are even in the running to turn up at Epsom. 10f may be on the radar through dam influence but 12f just looks impossible.

They both ran like fillys with stamina, the racecourse is the test in the end, many people used to doubt Danehill’s horses till Sir Michael Stoute.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

Didn’t Perfect truth break some sort of course record at Chester [?]. Trainer said on ceefax that he is leaning towards The Oaks here for Beauty O’Gwaun. Fingers crossed; don’t want to lose my bets on her and Sans Frontieres!

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Perfect Truth broke the 1m 3 1/2f track record but I wouldn’t be fussed about that since Golden Sword broke the 1m 4f record the next day I believe.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Leocorrno didnt face much there but she was very impressive. She looks something.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Hope your right more than a few of us backed her for the Oaks a long time ago, Can’t see her going after only one run but if anyone can pull it of it will be "the forever nice to interview SMS" :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

If there"s a nice big carrot to draw Equi from the cupboard under the stairs
    its Leocorno!

• Total Posts 1511

I am quite Bullish about Beauty O Gwuan….i think she is the filly that is going to take all the beating.

While she is Green and will be only having her 3rd run there is no doubt that she is a High Class Filly and is a Group 1 Winning Filly hopefully. I was so taken with her at Naas when she was schooled around and still won a Group 3 against her elders despite her being a baby and coming quite a bit of the pace.

I

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Plus points: Leocorno stayed well again and had plenty in hand, mixed bag pedigree wise, by Pivotal, but mare is Highland Gift and is half sister to Golan and Tartan Bearer, Frankie gave her a superb education tonight. Was number 1 and was going to the Musidora before her injury.

Minus points: Average field, Epsom may come to soon, by Pivotal (althoough top of the betting is by Pivotal, race was only 1m1f.

If she goes off on double figures I will back but I do like the Oxx filly also, he could have a good year being the year of the Ox funnily enough.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Again wins the Irish 1000gns displaying Stamina and is cut by all the big
    bookmakers to around the 5/1 mark! Incredibly she is still available at 13
    on Betfair?? Very strange! I know she wont run on fast ground but when Ladbrokes halve their price they are never far wrong!

halfwaytoheaven
    • Total Posts 1387

Again wins the Irish 1000gns displaying Stamina and is cut by all the big
    bookmakers to around the 5/1 mark! Incredibly she is still available at 13
    on Betfair?? Very strange! I know she wont run on fast ground but when Ladbrokes halve their price they are never far wrong!

Think it’s a similar case to Sans Frontieres Derby cut Gord, Again is highly unlikley to go to Epsom in two weeks.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Leocorno is out of The Oaks, who needs more time from her last run.

I suppose there not keen on the distance after failing to get her ready in time for the Musidora.

Great shame, if preperations had gone right there would have been a chance as he looks top quality.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Beauty O’Gwaun @ 10/1

Impressed with her last season and she’ll improve for her return. IMHO it’s far harder to beat group class old fillies than to win the standard Oaks Trial – her form beating Chinese White would have put her bang in the mix in last years Oaks and I can see her running a big race – soft ground will suit and it’s likely to rain a fair bit over the next 10 days or so. John Oxx knows the time of day with his fillies and I can see her SPing at around 13/2, particularly after a few withdrawls that we’re seeing at the moment.

Martin

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

I’ve got 26s about Beauty O’Gwaun but I think she’ll need to improve a fair bit from the Blue Wind to win this. I’m extremely bullish about Perfect Truth and have got prices ranging from 16s to 200s. Would love to see good to firm ground for the Oaks and Derby, would make them both very exciting races.

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 164 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.