The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Oaks 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion The Oaks 2009

Viewing 11 posts - 154 through 164 (of 164 total)
  • Author
    Peruvian Chief
    • Total Posts 1931

An Oaks winner not handling Epsom, don’t buy that whatsoever. A bizarre claim.

Maybe Epsom won’t turn out to be her favourite course, but she handled the course alright.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Have to agree with you there PC and what sickens me is the crap I just read on the RP.

Everytime something wins a race these websites/newspapers can’t help themsleves.

"Arc a possibility for brave Oaks winner Sariska " ?? are they kidding?

I think Michael Bell will wake up tomorrow watch the Derby and ask himself "Did I actually say that?

Trendsman
    • Total Posts 206

Well after a really cool day and my first experience of Epsom the ale poured and lots of my money changing hands..but i have read a few points on here about did Sariska handle the course.

In my honest opinion she was traveling ominously well, and never looked in doubt when she came on the outside to take it up, i just felt that Jamie got there slightly quicker than he wanted, but she basically outstayed Midday who was courageous in defeat.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Rule Of Law was a fast-finishing runner-up in the 2004 Derby and didn’t handle the course, so why is this any more ridiculous?

Sariska couldn’t help but lead as they turned in, given how well she was travelling, but as they hit the hill she was wandering all over the place. Assuming she wasn’t green – she certainly didn’t look that way at Newbury or York – then I’d guess that she struggled to maintain her balance (High Heeled looked like going by her at one stage) on a course not built to suit her.

I have no problem being proved wrong though – here’s hoping she meets Midday again elsewhere.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

She doesnt appear to be a "compact" filly and agree that she won despite the track. I think she could continue to suprise a lot of doubters…

Wasnt the doubt with Rainbow view was whether she would grow and strengthen sufficiently from 2 to 3?

Trendsman
    • Total Posts 206

Rainbow View came out of the paddock very late and she looked for me not right, I have no idea where Gosden will go next, but a step back in trip is a start i suppose

• Total Posts 2432

After getting the brilliant Raven’s Pass wrong all year – I once wrote that he would be a certainty in the July Cup – I wonder whether Gosden’s ultimate target for the Rainbow is the Breeders Cup?

Johnny G has made an art form out of urbane eloquence at the same time as saying little of substance. History tells us that he’s never rushed his best horses and nothing seems to bother him. Classics, championships, the wishes of owners. He’s very much his own man.

Anyway. Congratulations to Sariska backers – a fine race this year.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Imo, Rainbow View has run a blinder, considering she took a hefty bump in the closing stages and palpably ran out of fuel, and no doubt she’ll win again over shorter.
    In his usual forthright fashion, when being interviewed pre-race by Clare Balding, JG made it clear that he had his doubts about her staying 12f, even to the thoroughly honest extent of saying that he didn’t know, as it was something they couldn’t find out at home.
    Of course, those who believe he doesn’t say anything useful wouldn’t have heard anything useful, but that’s a fault that can hardly be laid at John Gosden’s door.

• Total Posts 4293

Keep up Max, Fist et moi covered this in the 1000 Guineas thread:-

. . . this is Gosden quoted in today’s Racing Post:

"She’s in good order. She’s been working well. She has grown and lengthened and had a good winter.

It’s the first race of the year. It’s an important race but we must beware it is the first race of the year for her and obviously we are looking down the line as well. I’m pleased with her and we’ll see where we go . . .

….

. . . She (RV) hasn’t run this year and hasn’t run for seven months. I didn’t run in a trial because I didn’t want to start her sooner than I had to.

You have races like the Breeders Cup. It’s in November this year and if you are of that class you try to keep that in the back of your mind. It’s a long season"

• Total Posts 1688

High Heeled’s improved 8 lengths on Sariska with slightly softened ground and the extra quarter-mile, and another 8 lengths on Rainbow View since they opposed each other on debut in July ’08.

What is that telling me? I’m not sure. I didn’t think High Heeled would stay as well as she did.

I’d be happy to oppose all of these next start bar Midday and Rainbow View @ 1m2f.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

Who said Pivotal’s couldnt win a Group 1 over a mile and a half!!! :oops:
    A lot to be learnt from video study of Sariska, about stamina potential and class imo.

Viewing 11 posts - 154 through 164 (of 164 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.