The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Oaks 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion The Oaks 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 164 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

I think this is the toughest Classic to crack, as i firmly believe Stamina
    is king and obviously none of the fillies that contest the Oaks have ran
    anywhere near 11/2m yet! What i look for is a filly that has Stamina in
    both sides of her parental breeding and has had the benefit of a run as a 2yo! The Ante-post fav “Rainbow View” confuses me as i haven”t got a clue about her breeding, she was a class 2yo who easily got the mile and visually i would be confident she would get the trip, i also think she has
    no scope to physically improve which concerns me, but she handles any ground, at 6/1 i am not tempted! “Fantasia” has Blue duster screaming
    at me she just wont stay, but again is a Group 1 winner in waiting! Sir
    Michael has a very well bred filly in “Leocorno” owned and related to Golan!
    who i would expect to have an Oaks preparation in the Musidora! “Again” is
    a filly who i have high hopes for but being a Danehill dancer daughter i
    have a very slight nagging doubt about her getting 11/2m! The filly i have backed at 25/1 is called “Beauty O Gwaun”! this filly has Stamina in abundance in her blood being a daughter of Rainbow Quest, out of a Sadlers wells mare (Angel O the Gwaun).She is closely related to the St
    leger winner Milennary, who also belonged to the owners.When i think back to good Oaks winners Dunfermline, Sun princess, Oh so sharp and
    User friendly, all of whom had the Stamina to win the St leger aswell, i can
    see the once raced “Beauty” certainly having an Oaks geared campaign!

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Hey Gord, just noticed the name change. :?: A word of warning- Cocaine is very addictive. Ask Frank… :wink:

Theres going to be a world of expectation on your shoulders with a name like that.

PS Rainbow View is by Dynaformer who tends do quite well with middle distance sorts on a faster surface, his last significant winner I can think of was Lucarno in the 2007 St Leger. Interestingly when Rainbow View conested the fillies mile it was gd-fm. If its good-firm in the oaks and she isnt too badly priced I’d consider a bet, on any other terms though, I wouldnt bother.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

When did you get 25/1? I backed her a while ago and didn’t get that price. I agree though.

• Total Posts 4293

Gordon, you truly will be the Ante-Post King if you can get the Oaks Winner, because as you say, it is by far the most difficult Classic to predict – unless, of course, Midway Lady is amongst the entries. :wink:

• Total Posts 1688

It was a straightforward Classic for mine until Cumani redirected Fantasia to France. :evil:

Aristo
    • Total Posts 318

When did you get 25/1? I backed her a while ago and didn’t get that price. I agree though.

She was 25/1 last October with blue square but at that time betfair had he up at between 24 and 64. In March she was on offer again 25/1 with Totesport but only an idiot would have taken that price as she was 33/1 with Bet365 on the same day and 29 with Betfair.

She has constantly been cut by bookmakers ss to has Sir Michael Stoutes filly and Cahsman’s and Coral’s have her at 12/1.

Not hard to look up the betting and see which horses are attracting the most attention post them on here and then say you backed them at long odds.

One day the King of Fantasy will tip a horse on the day he backs him and not hit us with aftertiming shyte like this.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I was ‘encouraged’ to back Stoute’s filly prior to her making a winning debut at Doncaster and am fairly content to sit on that for a good while yet.

• Total Posts 4293

O Wise One

can you lead us from darkness into light by providing us with the winner of the Chester Cup?

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

One day the King of Fantasy will tip a horse on the day he backs him and not hit us with aftertiming shyte like this.

First and foremost Fist,aftertiming is writing about something that has already happened! When did Beauty O Gwaun win the Oaks? I could have
    backed her at 66/1 last September, when i first enquired about her, the reason i did that was because Neil jones owns her and he also owned an
    old favourite of mine called Milennary, a horse that travelled and stayed well, being related to him just cemented my interest. A convincing victory
    over the Curraghs 7f bodes well as the colt she beat The Bull Hayes had solid form with several decent sorts, she is an exciting filly who i expect
    will have one run in Ireland before the Oaks, a little bit of cut would be ideal!

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Rainbow View is bred to get the Oaks trip; but with her nature (sweats and gets on edge) I doubt if she will get it, or be asked to get it.

Fantasia is by Saddlers Wells out of a Darshaan mare so that might be thought of as a middle distance pedigree. But as TAPK says, with Blue Duster as grand dam and Blue Note great grand dam (if that’s the right word), she is not sure to get it. And by showing so much speed over seven furlongs today; have my doubts about her now too.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Your just ahead of me Ginger on that.

I had another look at the Oaks betting today to see her market position.

I thought like you she has a lot of speed over 7f plus her only defeat was at a mile.

I was quite surprised to see she is fav over Rainbow View who won as a 2yo over a mile.

Some are saying the mile might be a bit too sharp for Rainbow View now others are saying she doesn’t truly get a mile. :shock:

Fantasia is the first of the decent 3yo’s to come out and already she’s being hailed some sort of superstar.

Year after year this happens and punters get carried away.

There’s too many ifs and buts about the both of them and I am not convinced either of them will turn out to be the best 3 year old filly.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Beauty O Gwaun has had her form boosted by Sea the Stars and The bull hayes victorys, looking forward to seeing her!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

She’s a nice price; whats her breeding?

• Total Posts 1688

Daughter of Rainbow Quest – trust she can stay but sire lacks any high-class performers of late (minus Crowded House).

Three-quarter sister to Millenary (Classic winner) and family of Vodafone Derby third Let The Lion Roar + Irish Oaks winner Petrushka. It’s a relevant family and a potent one.

Her half-sister Angelonmyshoulder (by King’s Best) won once at 7 furlongs good-to-firm. He was trained by Oxx as well, very promising colt and trainer believed he "loved fast ground" – went wayward after that, unfortunately.

If I were shaking the magic 8-ball, it would read "all signs point to yes" – she’s worth the investment @ 16-1 if you have other options at longer odds as well.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

MOE, Beauty O Gwaun is entered in a 11/4m race for 3yo and upwards
    at Naas a week on Wednesday, that would be a nice stepping stone to the
    Oaks, you being the Ante-Post Queen fills me with confidence that this is
    a special filly! She made The Bull hayes look average last year and yet he has won like a decent horse this year and his form from last year is like a who"s who of Derby potentials! I just hope she doesn"t get a firm surface
    at Epsom though! I have no qualms about Rainbow Quest being her sire
    either!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9305

It’s an awful name, though! or is there a nice way of pronouncing it?

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Roses for the lady runs in the Cheshire Oaks tomorrow and interestingly
    she is the stable companion of Beauty O Gwaun, it would be nice to think
    she is just testing the water, so to speak, but i have noticed a bit of a move
    on Betfair, for her winning the Oaks, 500 down to a current 85, Beauty is still 16,Roses is bred to be an Oaks filly herself Sadlers wells, out of a Rainbow Quest mare, should she win tomorrow, she will be a 20/1 shot
    for the big one.I would like to think Beauty is different class to Roses, but
    being owned by Neill Jones, she too will be more than capable! Have backed them both tonight at the prices, just as an insurance policy!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 164 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.