The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The most under-rated horse of all time

Home Forums Horse Racing The most under-rated horse of all time

Viewing 10 posts - 86 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    PEEPINGFAWN
    • Total Posts 40

Peeping Fawn….she was retired too early

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1665

Amongst horses currently in training, I’d also go for Yeats, a truly great stayer.

Going back a bit in time, Tulloch was a truly great racehorse who never received the recognition he deserved, possible because his stud career was such a disappointment. http://www.tbheritage.com/Portraits/Tulloch.html

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

. Bottom line is that he’s out of the very top drawer.

We’ll have to agree to differ on this one.

It depends on how many horses you have in your top drawer. I tend not to include horses beaten in 9 of their last 14 starts.

My sentiments also, TDK.

• Total Posts 1688

Amongst horses currently in training, I’d also go for Yeats, a truly great stayer.

Going back a bit in time, Tulloch was a truly great racehorse who never received the recognition he deserved, possible because his stud career was such a disappointment. http://www.tbheritage.com/Portraits/Tulloch.html

In your neck of the woods … maybe.

The Vintner
    • Total Posts 110

Golden Cygnet, the great might have been.

Le Paillon, was 2nd in the Champ Hurdle, then wins the Prix de l’ Arc 6 months later, an amazing feat.

Al Capone, impressively consistent over hurdles and fences, barely gets a mention.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2036

Dawn Run was without doubt the most under-rated horse in view of her achievmnets;
    – only horse to do the CH/GC double
    – winner of 3 CHs in one year, different distances and ground
    – won GC in record time
    – beat 2-mile champion (who had also won in record time)
    – won GC as virtual novice, so had massive improvemnet likely

I confess to a certain emotional attachmnet; as a student I first saw her live in the Forenoughts hurdle in Fairyhouse. Hartstown, the previous yrs champion novice was favouraite, she was 10-1, but she looked magnificent (if unfurnished in the paddock), jumped off in front and made all.
    If you watch the recording of her winning the GC, as jonjo salutes the crowds, a big black hat sails up into the air – that was my hat, and I never got it back
    The sad thing is that she could have won another 3 GCs; imagine if Jim Lewis had owned her, would he have sent to to France to die?

Avatar photoPeter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 553

The sad thing is that she could have won another 3 GCs; imagine if Jim Lewis had owned her, would he have sent to to France to die?

But she had won twice before in France (IIRC) so why would it be wrong to race her there again?
    It was a tragedy that she died there but it could have happened anywhere as she was prone to the odd fall.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6966

Well said, PPG – it’s pretty invidious to suggest that campaigning Dawn Run in France was an especially irresponsible ploy.

gc

Adoptive father of two. The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Dawn Run had beaten all she could in the UK and went to tackle the best that France had to offer.

If more owners were like the owners of Dawn Run (rather than all this "we’re best in the world" without running outside the UK or taking on the horses that have beaten him in the past ie. Paul Nicholls with Master Minded) then jumps racing would perhaps become more internationally recognised.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2036

the mare had had a long season, with soem seriously hard races; Horses aren’t machines, they need a rest. Tom Dreaper never campaigned his greats during the summer as wll as the winter.
    Taking her to France was totally irresponsible

Viewing 10 posts - 86 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.