The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The most under-rated horse of all time

Home Forums Horse Racing The most under-rated horse of all time

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6009

It’s all subjective opinion with the benefit of hindsight of course, but if we use the market as a guide to a horse being ‘underrated’ then I’d suggest Baracouda (particularly the 9/4 for his second Stayers) and Inglis Drever (odds-against for the majority of his wins) were both underrated. Probably because they weren’t trained by the likes of Pipe, Nicholls or Henderson.

In essence, isn’t an underrated horse simply one that you personally decide is a ‘value’ bet at the odds available,

and

then goes on to win.

thedarkknight
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1299

Baracouda and Inglis Drever are excellent examples….

RobinFromIreland
    • Total Posts 72

Flyingbolt

: I think Blunkett is spot on. What this horse achieved was phenomenal yet he is never mentioned anymore.

Of recent years I thought Ghostzapper was an incredible horse.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Had there been a Ryanair in those days Native Upmanship would have been a superstar….

Never a truer word spoken Moe!

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

Think Baracouda has always been rated highly by most people. But Le Sauvignon beat him in France fair and square. So Le Sauvignon is one under-rated.

If it was not for Kauto Star look at the races Exotic Dancer would’ve won.

Well Chief was under-rated because of being in the same year as Mighty Moscow. To a degree Azertyuiop too.

Mighty Man was possibly a better hurdler than Inglis Drever. Just got poor rides in the two World Hurdles.

Carvill’s Hill due to never winning the Gold Cup. Jenny’s (alleged) spoiling tactics. Won the Irish National under top weight by a wide margin.

Burrough Hill Lad was one of the greats (180 or more in Timeform) yet seldom gets a mention.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    Blunkett
    Participant
    • Total Posts 416

This is a great link re: Flyingbolt.

http://eatmystack.co.uk/stanters/

With this paragraph my particular fav:

“Flyingbolt was hacking along with Paddy Woods on his back and a funny look in his eye. Upsides on Arkle, I was thinking to myself that I would never see a prouder horse than this. Then he turned his head and slowly looked us over. You could almost see the curl of the lip. This was the ‘Who are these peasants?’ look of his that I was to come to know so well and I suppose I should have been forewarned. Next thing I knew he’s taken a strong hold and was away. Not to be outdone, Arkle took an equally strong hold and got up alongside. And so these two young chasers who were then potentially the best in the world staged their own private race during what was supposed to be a normal session of morning schooling. They took the next four fences, neck and neck, flat out as though their lives depended on the outcome, while Paddy and I held on to them for dear life and waited for the fires to die down. Well, they cleared them all right, but it was a bit too close for comfort and Mr. Dreaper never allowed them to be schooled together again…………Certainly he was as good at seven as Arkle was at the same age…. If progress had been maintained, he would have been as good, if not better, than Arkle himself”.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Le Sauvignon wasn’t really afforded the chance to prove otherwise, Mark.

Jair Du Cochet didn’t get the credit he deserved (which is surely what this thread is about – recognition, or lack of it, rather than actual rating).

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Maia Eria will never get the credit she deserves. She tonked Kauto Star on numerous occasions during his days in France.

Remember Rose for his beatings of Master Minded as 3 and 4yos at Auteuil :)

NWRA
    • Total Posts 259

I haven’t been into racing as long as many but here goes; considering New Approach was a multiple Group 1-winner at 2, was beaten only a hd in the 2000 Guineas (1m) by a brilliant miler, won The Derby (1m4f) impressively, won the Champion Stakes (1m2f) by 6l – I thought he was strangely underrated. One of the only horses, along with Zarkava and George Washington, that you could make a case for being a ‘superstar’-type in recent times.

Black Secret
    • Total Posts 3

The most under-rated horse topic got me thinking. I’ve followed this one for a few seasons now. He’s no superstar, just an admirable hurdler/chaser, from a canny yard who produce him to win a race now and again, mostly when you least expect it.
    Under-rated? Well when a horse placed in a champion chase turns up at the festival 2 years later, and destroys the opposition in a class 1 handicap at odds of 66-1, have’nt we all under-rated him.
    Ladies and gentleman I give you MISTER McGOLDRICK. I wish he was mine.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9299

Blunkett; thank you so much for that link…I’ve always known about that schooling session with Arkle and Flyingbolt, but never had it described in such depth..just imagine if they had raced each other in the Gold Cup!

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

. Bottom line is that he’s out of the very top drawer.

We’ll have to agree to differ on this one.

It depends on how many horses you have in your top drawer. I tend not to include horses beaten in 9 of their last 14 starts.

No worries TDK; I’d argue that he’s been badly campaigned, given that he needs both a trip and goodish ground to be at his best. Should he not be the most impressive winner to date of the Ryanair next month, then I’ll happily change my opinion. It is, of course, a hugely subjective argument.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Blunkett; thank you so much for that link…I’ve always known about that schooling session with Arkle and Flyingbolt, but never had it described in such depth..just imagine if they had raced each other in the Gold Cup!

Pat Taaffe, who rode both horses, was also adamant that had they met at any distance beyond three miles, Arkle would have triumphed.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

The most under-rated horse topic got me thinking. I’ve followed this one for a few seasons now. He’s no superstar, just an admirable hurdler/chaser, from a canny yard who produce him to win a race now and again, mostly when you least expect it.
    Under-rated? Well when a horse placed in a champion chase turns up at the festival 2 years later, and destroys the opposition in a class 1 handicap at odds of 66-1, have’nt we all under-rated him.
    Ladies and gentleman I give you MISTER McGOLDRICK. I wish he was mine.

Welcome Black Secret,

Mister McGoldrick is one of my favourites. The Persian Punch of jumps. The second in the Champion was one of the worst Champion Chases for some time. I often backed him, just because he was under-rated by punters, going off at value prices. But missed him at Cheltenham last year. :cry:
    Though he does have many fans, I believe MMcG has a fan club.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    • Total Posts 326

Under-rated from the flat Rodrigo De Triano and in particular Lammtarra. Four runs four wins incl. Derby, King George and Arc. Fast ground, soft ground.

That was some horse.

Lammtarras’ record was incredible, Listed first time up, Derby first time out @ 3, Course record for the derby (not bad for a plodder) and the King George before the Arc in atrocious ground if i remember corectly. I have to admit to speaking through my pocket 7/2, 14/1 , 1&3 :( KG, Cap Jaluca Cambridgeshire 14’s & Lammtarra 11/2 Arc double. I think everyone in our local shop had that one up.

dubai_millennium
    • Total Posts 139

Dubai Millennium is possible under-rated by some maybe because he was specifically a 10f horse and therefore didn’t have a classic length race.

Under-rated on these shores, especially after his Arc where he wasn’t right, was Deep Impact from Japan. If he’d had a prep he would have routed that field.

BeauRanger
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

two that stick im my mind in the 2 to 2 1/2 range – viking flagship and moscow flyer – viking for his toughness and moscow for his class

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ph_AB05PsA0 :shock: :D

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 95 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.