The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish Derby 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Irish Derby 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

As predicted 1st 2nd and 3rd :shock: Topped it of with the forecast and Tricast :shock: :shock: Maybe Zarkava will forget this Irish Derbt but I won’t :lol:

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Having backed Fame and Glory, and glad that it won – I was still not overly impressed – even though he won well enough.

I am not convinced that he would have beaten Sea The Stars, nor am I convinced that he ever will.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Well what a waste of time that was.

Wasn’t impressed with Fame And Glory yet again, just looks awfully slow to me. Just stays and stays and that’s it. Can’t believe people are putting him up as an Arc contender. Simple question IMO – would he win the St Leger?

If you think he would, he’s too slow for the Arc.

All this race has served to do in my eyes is to devalue the race yet again and cast huge doubts over the Derby form. Masterofthehorse beaten 16L more than at Epsom with Mourayan in 3rd?

Couple today with the 8th, 10th and 12th getting stuffed in the King Edward and I’d say this is looking like quite dodgy Derby form.

ReasonoverFaith
    • Total Posts 346

I’m quite surprised that the Racing Post’s RPR fella has considered Fame and Glory’s Derby win 5lb higher than his Epsom run.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Wouldn’t pay any attention to that lunatic. New Approach got 131 for beating Twice Over yet Zarkava got 129 for beating Youmzain, Vision D’Etat, Ask, Cima De Triomphe & co.

But my personal favourite was Tamarinbleu. 170 for beating Twist Magic in the VC Chase, and Tamarinbleu has gone on to win a total of zero races since and a cumulative beating of 270 1/2 lengths.

dostoy
    • Total Posts 23

I am very glad AOB won it.

I was very impressed with Fame and Glory and also Golden Sword who was ridden close to a very strong pace and kept on very well for second.

I was surprised that Byzantine did not make the running as I would have fancied Rockampton running well on his own merits although he did get stirred up beforehand.

Drumbeat badly needs a break and I think Masterofthehorse needs fast ground and probably needs a break as well.

I hope none of these horses go the France on the 14th July as it will come too quick.

Age of Aquarius, Dixie Music, Grand Ducal and maybe another for that.

Happy day.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I just watched it again and there’s no getting away from the fact it turned out to be a 3 horse race. However I’m with you on Fame and Glory and think by far it’s the best race he’s ever run.

Mourayan picked up really well when chasing Golden Sword who has run on like a tiger but that Fame and Glory just flew past them.

Johnny Murtagh reckons even if Sea of Stars had run Fame and Glory would have taken some beating but then the conditions would have been different. Unlike Epsom that was a real race and again Golden Sword was out to win…..this talk of setting the race up for Fame and Glory gets on my goat. The would have won it had they gone at a crawl.

He looked 7lbs better today than he did at Epsom

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Personally, I would take far more notice of a true test of stamina than the crawl that was the Epsom Derby. I am not surprised at all that Fame And Glory has been raised. The proximity of Masterofthehorse and Rip Van Winkle makes the Epsom form look dubious to say the least. Fame And Glory does not have the speed of Sea The Stars but is more versatile in terms of ground conditions and it is pretty obvious he stays in excess of 1m4f.

• Total Posts 203

I may get slaughtered for this comment…

In todays race, under todays "Soft" conditions and todays pace. I believe that Sea The Stars would have struggled to beat Fame and Glory.

I think O’Brien could win the Leger with this horse and then go on to run seriously close in the Arc. The reasoning with this is the fact Fame stays the Leger trip to me and the ground will suit in the Arc with an O’Brien pacemaker.

This horse could have acheived what Galile o and Montjeu did but was let down in the Epsom Derby.

I cannot understand why he wants to go down the Irish Champion Stakes route with this horse as Sea The Stars will leave the horse for dead with his speed. I don’t believe that Sea The Stars stays a true run 1m 4f.

I think that Fame and Glory should go down the route of King George, Leger and Arc. I don’t think that Sea The Stars would run in the King George even though the ground would suit him because Oxx knows his horse is a world class miler – 10f horse.

Just my opinions though… :D

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

I must say that I couldn’t honestly see Golden Sword finishing in front of Masterofthehorse with a gallop and got that completely wrong – unless the latter never ran to form….to which it appears it did.

An instantly forgettable ‘classic’ though, as are most of the Irish ones lately. :x

• Total Posts 1415

I’m quite surprised that the Racing Post’s RPR fella has considered Fame and Glory’s Derby win 5lb higher than his Epsom run.

Really? I also came to the same conclusion. This horse is a strong gallopper what he doesn’t do is quicken that well off a slow pace he was much better at The Curragh than he was at Epsom. I give him 124 for this run which is a pound more than Sea The Stars top rating so far and on a par with Conduit.

The Arc would suit him.

St Leger? Mourayan caught my eye for that I think they’ll consider Fame And Glory too good to go to Doncaster.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Don’t believe for a second that the race was run on soft ground. Benbaun won earlier which strongly suggests quickish ground.

Interestingly Galileo was 3 seconds faster in the same race, on the bridle as well. Both going descriptions were similar, so either the ground was almost identical or the ground was slightly faster today. And I don’t like comparing times from day to day, but a 3 second difference is hard to ignore.

I really think this chap is just a very slow stayer. I wouldn’t be surprised to see him become a Gold Cup horse, but at least we’ve got at least 3 decent middle-distance horses that’ll more than likely remain in training.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

RP haven’t put their time-based ground up yet, though I’d suspect it’s ‘good’, exactly as it was for Galileo’s win, though times indicate it may have just been a gnats slower yesterday.
    I’d agree that much of Fame And Glory’s ‘improvement’ over Epsom form owes most to the stronger pace, and wouldn’t have him on my mind for any 10f race on Summer ground – no matter how many pacemakers he has – given the way he performed there.
    The Coolmore hype machine will no doubt roll on, though.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Slow stayer?

That is pretty crazy, this is a horse when a fast pace is set, he is posting really fast times that are not on quick ground, and Fame And Glory won here hands and heels which has to be taken into consideration and he beat Oxx’s colt even further too boot.

Its worth mentioning also in the trials Fame And Glory was posting faster times than Galileo so it can be swings and roundabouts.

Fame And Glory can just fly and not stop when there is a feroicous pace hence he is not a slow stayer but a very fast stayer. His downfall is he cant quicken up and needs to be catapulted if you will. If he was a slow stayer he would have been fighting it out with Golden Sword.

You mention Benbaun’s time but he was just short of the time standard and only Famous Name along with Fame And Glory was able to post a fast time through out the card, so I’d say the ground was Good ground and not Good To Yielding but certainly not fast.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Yeah I agree with that, certainly wasn’t any yielding in it if Benbaun won. Kitty Kiernan almost performed poorly and she apparently doesn’t like quickish ground.

Looks like we’re all in agreement that Fame And Glory is absolutely no threat over 10f in Group 1s later in the season. I just wonder whether all Montjeu progeny are just slightly too slow to be genuine challengers over 10f. I’m looking at his main progeny and the only 2 Group 1 wins over less than 12f were the Juddmonte and Tatts Gold Cup, both 10 1/2f.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Im hoping Fame And Glory has persuaded Coolmore that he is a far better option than Yeats for the big prizes, he is a horse that has actually proved a surprise to O’Brien himself ever since his maiden.

He could win 10f G1’s he has one already, but he will struggle if he finds a goodish pace as he could find one with a bit of speed but its a certainty there will be a pacemaaker, it seems so far he will head to The Irish Champion, and he does have C&D form at the distance there

But I’d like to see him finish at The Arc which I think he can win.

Yankee Hotel Foxtrot
    • Total Posts 54

Well what a waste of time that was.

Wasn’t impressed with Fame And Glory yet again, just looks awfully slow to me. Just stays and stays and that’s it. Can’t believe people are putting him up as an Arc contender. Simple question IMO – would he win the St Leger?

If you think he would, he’s too slow for the Arc.

All this race has served to do in my eyes is to devalue the race yet again and cast huge doubts over the Derby form. Masterofthehorse beaten 16L more than at Epsom with Mourayan in 3rd?

Couple today with the 8th, 10th and 12th getting stuffed in the King Edward and I’d say this is looking like quite dodgy Derby form.

You’re very much a Mr "glass half empty" type aren’t you? I’m not going to bother dissecting that post, but suffice to say I disagree with just about every word of it

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.