The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Irish Derby 2009

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Irish Derby 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Oxx has said Sea The Stars’ participation is very unlikely.

Don’t know about you lot but I can’t stand the Irish Derby. It’s such a dire race. Alamshar vs Dalakhani is the only good renewal in the past 14 years I can spot. Is a race for the beaten Epsom runners to have their day in the sun.

Very boring.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Fourteen Epsom Derby winners and 4 future Arc winners have won the Irish Derby, plus many other classic winners.

I like the race.
    St Jovite, for instance, gained his revenge on Dr. Devious, before going on to win the King George & Queen Elizabeth.

El Gran Senor (also 2nd at Epsom) won the race following his shorthead defeat by Secreto and thus proved he truly did stay a mile and a half.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

We can sit here and spout on about 25 years ago, but look what is happening right now.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Oxx has said Sea The Stars’ participation is very unlikely.

Don’t know about you lot but I can’t stand the Irish Derby. It’s such a dire race. Alamshar vs Dalakhani is the only good renewal in the past 14 years I can spot. Is a race for the beaten Epsom runners to have their day in the sun.

Very boring.

With the likes of Grey Swallow, Hurricane Run, & Dylan Thomas winning since Alamshar beat Dalakhani in 2003, I don’t know why it’s not downgraded to a Group 3 at least. Don’t know how we put up with it to be honest!

I mean the horses winning at Epsom are so much better

2003 Kris Kin (0 wins from 3 subsequent races)
    2004 North Light ( 0 wins from 3 subsequent races)
    2005 Motivator ( 0 wins from 3 subsequent races)
    2006 Sir Percy (0 wins from 4 subsequent races)
    2007 Authorized (1 win from 3 subsequent races)
    2008 New Approach ( well 1 decent horse from the last 6 runnings isn’t too bad is it – trained in Ireland too you know)

Don’t buy into the hype mate!

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

2004 – North Light vs Grey Swallow vs Rule of Law vs Let The Lion Roar

Oooh. So an Epsom rematch and the Irish Guineas 4th.

2005 – Hurricane Run vs Scorpion

Would-be French Derby winner and French Derby 16th.

2006 – Dylan Thomas vs Darsi vs Dragon Dancer vs Gentlewave

2007 – Eagle Mountain vs Soldier of Fortune

*hears crickets*

2008 – Do we really need to go into last year’s race?

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

2000 – Sindaar
    2001 – Galileo
    2002 – High Chapparal
    2003 – Alamshar
    2005 – Arc winner
    2006 – Arc winner

Last two years are the only races that have produced horses that haven’t been anything special.

Don’t know how knocking the race adds to this thread, but hey entitled to it.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Whether you like it or not, the Irish Derby has produced better horses and more subsequent winners than the Epsom version in the last 6 years. You can believe the hype about Epsom all you like but the facts (or trends as some may put it) don’t lie.

If you genuinely think that the Irish Derby was the "day in the sun" for horses like Hurricane Run and Dylan Thomas then you need to read your formbook a bit better.

The merit of races are not judged on the day they are run but on the subsequent exploits of the protaganists. It’s only in hindsight that we can judge whether or not a race truly was great or not. Otherwise a maiden race with 3 horses separated by a short-head could be deemed a great race.

• Total Posts 2184

Irish Derby has consistently produced high quality winners over the last decade. It is also run at a far fairer track than the English equivalent – thorough test of a 3yo colt my arse!

If the Irish Derby is such a dire race than I’m sure either the KJ Pike and Sons Ltd Seniors’ Sprint Handicap (4:10 Salisbury) or the Bet Totepool At Totesport.com Handicap (4:35 Windsor) should satisfy your thirst for top quality racing around four o’clock on Sunday. :roll:

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

2000 – Sindaar
    2001 – Galileo
    2002 – High Chapparal
    2003 – Alamshar
    2005 – Arc winner
    2006 – Arc winner

Last two years are the only races that have produced horses that haven’t been anything special.

Don’t know how knocking the race adds to this thread, but hey entitled to it.

Yeah, the winners have been good horses. So? It doesn’t make it a good race. Who was 2nd to Sinndar? Glyndebourne. 2nd to Galileo? Morshdi. 2nd to High Chaparral was Sholokov, 2nd to Dylan Thomas was Gentlewave.

Roosevelt, Tycoon, Alexander of Hales – been some awful placed horses as well.

There’s no denying that this race has been nothing more than an Epsom rematch for the past 4 runnings (2009 included) and this coincides with the French shortening the distance of their Derby.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Irish Derby has consistently produced high quality winners over the last decade.

Eh? Sorry? ‘Produced’?

Only Alamshar, Grey Swallow, Soldier of Fortune and Frozen Fire hadn’t won or been beaten by a head in a Derby since 1998. And let’s face it, none of the latter 3 were/are top class.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

4/6 Sea the Stars looks unbackable.

Surely six thousand to four is nothing to a man of your means, Fist ? :wink:

I’d pay 6 grand to Oxx to run him…….damn thing looks like taking on Conduit in the Eclipse now. :cry:

As far as the Irish Derby goes now Fame and Glory 9/4, Golden Sword 20/1 and Mourayan 20/1 are the only 3 horses with decent form on soft ground.

Fame and Glory looks the obvious choice but I could see there being an upset. Let’s face it Snowy Wainright had a winner yesterday which clearly points out nothing is impossible in racing :lol:

The question here is how will AOB play it now Sea the Stars doesn’t run?

I reckon he will give Golden Sword a lead this time and hopefully he will be stretching them all from about 4-5 furlongs from home. He gallops stays and acts on the ground and for me he’s the biggest danger to Fame and Glory.

Mourayan hasn’t run since running a really bad race behind Fame and Glory and I would expect him to finish much closer to him this time.

I’m playing safe and did a Ginger type bet here had 4pts win Fame and Glory and 2pts ew on both Mourayan and Golden Sword..will have mixed forcasts tomorrow.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Personally I reckon he’ll have 3 or 4 pacemakers.

If STS runs, I think Rockhampton will lead from Hail Caesar, Byzantine and Golden Sword. I don’t see what else they’re doing in the field (the former 3).

• Total Posts 2440

Sea The Stars, now a non-runner.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

Yup, another instantly forgettable Irish Derby awaits.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Yup, another instantly forgettable Irish Derby awaits.

Yawn :roll:

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Should be pretty straightforward for Fame And Glory, sit second or third, not too far off the pace, take it up two out and win by two or three lengths.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

Anyone confirm when the final declarations were made for this – not sure if I have got a massive deduction for Sea The Stars or not? I took 5/2 so even with the deduction I am reckoning on 11/8.

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 129 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.