The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Gosdens

Home Forums Horse Racing The Gosdens

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

https://www.racingtv.com/news/john-and-thady-gosden-team-up-to-share-training-licence

John Gosden to have a shared licence with his son. Not sure how significant it is but could Gosden senior have one eye on retirement?

Participant
    • Total Posts 1326

I’d say yes. John is doing a lot more buying for Godolphin these days, could take up a role doing that with Thady taking over the yard on a semi-permanent basis.

Thady had been at the races instead of John a lot during the 2020 season aswell which points to a transition.

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

What’s a Thady?

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

I do hope it’s not a derogatory name for a thalidomide victim. I didn’t know Gosdens son had that affliction. Have to say it’s a bit thoughtless

Keymaster
    • Total Posts 1163

I do know the name Thady is of Greek origin.

No, doubt Drone will know a lot more about the word as I cannot remember.

Matron

Participant
    • Total Posts 452

His son is called Thaddeus ( according to the web ) so presume it’s just a family nickname for him.

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

Thady been getting tutored extensively to whinge on about the ground. Showing great potential.

BUY THE SUN

Participant
    • Total Posts 6004

As Isinglass writes, it’s just a shortening of Thaddeus, another being Thad. Like such as Noah and Joshua, it’s another example of a ‘classical’ forename that’s regained popularity in recent years

It is indeed Greek, meaning ‘courageous heart’

The Irish equivalent is Tadhg, which I believe is a relatively common name over there; again often shortened to Thady or anglicized to Teague or Taig, the latter having become a generic slur for catholics amongst the North’s protestants

You credit me with being a fount of all knowledge Matron. Not true: I just have an inquisitive mind and enjoy research, which is a piece of cake nowadays with t’internet at my fingertips. Didn’t know much of the above 10 minutes ago so thanks for giving me another opportunity to exercise the little grey cells :good:

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

They didn’t name him that because he had short arms then?

Avatar photoThe Tatling Cheekily
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2723

FFS Clive. I like your style tbf.

BUY THE SUN

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3755

If my parents had opted for ‘Thaddeus’, I’d have left home at 16 to live in a squat and start a protest group – CNM (Christian Names Matter).

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

It’s a serious question tattling. Racing is obviously in the spotlight for cruelty now and imagine if a trainer had christened a Down’s syndrome child as Mongy

This is not going to look good when it gets out

Participant
    • Total Posts 6004

You are awful Clivexxxxx but I like you

I wonder what former jockey Ian Mongan’s matey weighing room nickname was…?

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7543

If my parents had opted for ‘Thaddeus’, I’d have left home at 16 to live in a squat and start a protest group – CNM (Christian Names Matter).

It doesn’t really pass the gulder test, as they say round here, as in, can you shout it down the street after a wayward child?
    “THADDEUS GET IN HERE FER YER DINNER NOW OR I’LL SKELP YER ARSE SO I WILL”
    Nope. Off the list.

Father_Jack
    Participant
    • Total Posts 187

“Thaddeus” is another name for the apostle Jude.

Whoever was talking nonsense above about the irish name “Tadhg” (and then totally unrelated Taig term in northern Ireland) will find it translates at Timothy. Sweet FA to do with Thaddeus.

Colin Phillips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 313

Compared to some names given to children these days, Thaddeus seems quite conservative.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6004

Whoever was talking nonsense above about the irish name “Tadhg” (and then totally unrelated Taig term in northern Ireland) will find it translates at Timothy. Sweet FA to do with Thaddeus

We’re either both talking nonsense, both partly right, or both partly wrong: take your pick 🙂

This article and the link to ‘Taig’ clarifies:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tadhg

As for Jude the Apostle also being known as Thaddeus, that appears to be rather complicated:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jude_the_Apostle

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.