The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Front Page

Home Forums Horse Racing The Front Page

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3755

<br>Hey, my horse made the front page of the Racing Post. Pity it’s just an arty photo of the horses running round the downs at Goodwood and the horse is hidden behind the slope – still those are my colours in fourth.

The stewards involvement concerned what happened in the last hundred yards, when Salute was hampered by San Hernando knocking him out of the frame.  

You can see exactly what happened by going to the RP website and viewing the finish of the race (Goodwood 2:40 Wednesday). Keep watching after the horses pull up and they show a clear head on view.

The stewards decided that the interference was accidental and took no action – what do you think?

AP<br>

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

I’d say you were murdered Alan. Interference was definitely due to careless riding on trhe part of James Doyle, despite the fact he was carrying his whip in the correct hand. He makes no attempt to correct San Hernando in the last 150 yards. To call it accidental is a serious error of judgement ~ it’s important to understand what accidental interference is defined as (from HRA website):  

"For accidental the rider will have been taking reasonable steps to prevent the interference from occurring or the interference will have been due to circumstances beyond the rider’s control."

Participant
    • Total Posts 6004

Certainly cost you third AP and a moot point as to second. Looks an obvious case of careless riding by Doyle (inexperienced at Goodwood?) and a pre-meditated move. Every right to feel aggrieved at the stewards’ decision I’d say though perhaps they took into account the strong headwind and the effect that may have on a horse’s balance, but I doubt it.

Is Salute the horse you were considering sending Novice Chasing?

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3755

<br>Drone,

Yes that’s right, but his form on the flat since then has earned him the right to keep his feet on the ground.

As to that stewards enquiry, I’m bemused by the decision. A ban for Doyle wouldn’t recoup my lost prize money (£1250 for 3rd or £650 for 4th), nor would it help my friends and family who backed him each way, but I was very surprised he didn’t get at least two days and felt that four days would be about right.

Nothing against Doyle personally – my trainer assures me he’s a decent hard working lad willing to take advice from senior jockeys. But to call that accidental sets a precedent for less scrupulous riders that know the owner is on each way and expects to collect.

My kid sister had £2.50 ew in a Hill shop and texted me demanding a stewards enquiry!

AP

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3755

<br>I sent an Email to the HRA this morning requesting clarification and to be fair, they have replied in detail.

The view they put forward, backed by the stewards secretary on duty at Goodwood is that Doyle had his whip in the correct hand throughout, that he shifted his weight to try to stop the horse hanging and that he also stopped riding when it was clear that he was causing interference.

They considered it borderline between careless and accidental and the local stewards opted unanimously for accidental.

Reading between the lines (and this may be unfair), there also seems to be an element of ‘this stuff happens at Goodwood’, and that it’s a natural result of the track layout.  

However, full credit to the authorities for a quick and detailed response. I still don’t agree with their view of the incident, but accept that it’s a judgement call and they’ve got better replay facilities and more angles than I’ve seen, as well as the advantage of questioning both riders involved.

AP

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

You are far more graciousthan many would be in such circumstances ap.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

I always thought that jockeys were expected to take corrective measures ~ therefore having the stick in the correct hand or even stopping riding would not be deemed to be sufficient to correct a situation where serious interference is liable to take place.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1635

Quote: from davidjohnson on 2:33 pm on May 25, 2006[br]You are far more graciousthan many would be in such circumstances ap.<br>

<br>Absolutely! You’ve taken it very admirably AP. I hope it all goes well for you next time.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Quote: from apracing on 2:00 pm on May 25, 2006[br]<br>I sent an Email to the HRA this morning requesting clarification and to be fair, they have replied in detail.

The view they put forward, backed by the stewards secretary on duty at Goodwood is that Doyle had his whip in the correct hand throughout, that he shifted his weight to try to stop the horse hanging and that he also stopped riding when it was clear that he was causing interference.

They considered it borderline between careless and accidental and the local stewards opted unanimously for accidental.

Reading between the lines (and this may be unfair), there also seems to be an element of ‘this stuff happens at Goodwood’, and that it’s a natural result of the track layout.  

However, full credit to the authorities for a quick and detailed response. I still don’t agree with their view of the incident, but accept that it’s a judgement call and they’ve got better replay facilities and more angles than I’ve seen, as well as the advantage of questioning both riders involved.

AP<br>

Salute was certainly done no favours by San Hernando and probably would have finished fourth otherwise.In fairness to the relatively inexperienced Doyle, his horse didn’t seem entirely straightforward, hanging and carrying his head high.<br>I reckon that you have a valid point in your assertion that the local stewards take a lax view of interference. Due to the camber and undulations the track is reckoned to be about the most difficult in the country to get a horse balanced and running.A rider of Fallon’s standing rates it his least favourite track. There is always loads of interference and hard luck stories.<br>Rules of racing should be consistently applied in theory  but I  could understand the stewards leaving things alone in your case.<br>You took it all in good part and on a positive note Salute is showing more dash in his last couple of runs and deserves his respite from novice chasing!

Participant
    • Total Posts 5683

<br> :old: dam

What it all means is <br> Potts will be wearing the <br> same old leather elbowed jacket<br> next year<br> not forgetting the crumpled coat !

Monkey
    Participant
    • Total Posts 141

Goodwood is a very attractive spot but it certainly seems true that races there often feature horses rolling onto each other and worse. The track is not suitable for high class racing.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3755

<br>Gamble,

Gentlemen at Goodwood<br>may favour the crumpled coat<br>but I am best renowned<br>for my golden anorak!

AP

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Monkey, totally agree about Goodwood staging top class racing.  The main problem is the distinct kink in the far side running rail in the "straight".

I love the variety of our courses as this adds so much interest but surely something could be done at Goodwood the realign the track from the turn ins?  

Participant
    • Total Posts 5683

<br>   any :old: iron

<br> – Potts your crumpled claim I accept,<br>   but your golden fleece riposte<br>   would need to be photographically evidenced, <br>   vouched for by an out of date cleaning ticket,<br>   and be supported by biblical evidence;<br>   such as a booming cloud proclomation by Jason,<br>   or better still,<br>   the bearded Zeus,<br>   before I stop scratching my head on your imaginary vest-jest

– You’ll next be claiming cowboy hoofer boots<br>   with matching rawhide wallet<br>   to bring out that particualr shade of frenzy in the totalisator<br>   women as you nose for the ring !

–  In poiint of fact..<br>   my roving detective eye last spotted your <br>   sartorial stretch..

in a dirty green daggle-tailed trench almost chocking<br>itself to death on pockets and flaps like an out of kilter  button-drowned frog caught in machine gun-fire as it surfaced for the third time splitting at the sides as it got simultaneously rat a tat tatted, and died of shame trying to cover its naked dispraportion and diappropriateness,without a hat to boot – if ever a feather matching such murk could ever be found, by a tailor worth his saville salt.

And, for the final bullet

– despite the trench being held up by living matter, so good as advertising a life of its own. Rumour and specualtion also has it<br> that you share your betting digs with a well-fed moth that can silence all the lambs.

flatcapgamble… I actually quite like the distressed look, so often seen late in the day, in the betting arena.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5683

<br> the :old: front page has drawn me in again.

there is an undeniable quaintness to it !

Possibly my new daily regime of fish(tinned) rice and peas<br> with a bit of fruit thrown in is getting to me after a week.<br>  I seem to have lost my old punch – the jury is out on the jacket and see the moth who flew in with sterile wings frightened to death of tweed.

On the clothes front – a little piece of advice.<br> Never buy second hand shoes whether for racing or not.<br> The fact they may belong to a dead man is immaterial.<br> Take note ! They have usually been cast out because they hurt.

PEOPLE DONT BOTHER TO RETURN ILL FITTING SHOES<br> THESE DAYS, THEY LEAVE TEHM AT THE BACK OF THE CUPBOARD <br> FOR SIX MONTHS THEN DONATE TO CHARITY. THE RETURN ROOMS OF THE GREAT DEPARTMENT STORES HAVE TURNED FROM BUSTLE INTO WOEFUL BARREN GHOST ROOMS.

The MAY front page has four entries

The highly exciting adventure of the Jackjane affair is headlines. The venerated knight Don Quixote would certainly have been greenwithenv at the insurmountable windmmill Jack through the flat-packed Jane at !

Avis has added another notch to his walking stick by being banned from the blue house – unengineered I assure you.

The old acorn – the each way debate – has been of hot interest in the tabloid. I saw a six figure each way at Cheltenham strike home, but there was definitely a face behind it, and the commoner’s with no loss track record can drown themselves in desperation waiting for a large wooden wedge.

Finally we have park football claimed by celebrity and thrust into our living rooms under the guise of saving Africa. Nothing would surprise me now and as the planet creeps under water, how long before the first naked news reader wirh flip flops is waiting menacingly in the wings, and the Derby line is tarred by the battling brothers from eastenders fighting over which donkey.

<br>

<br>  

Participant
    • Total Posts 5683

<br> the :old: front page has drawn me in again.

there is an undeniable quaintness to it !

Possibly my new daily regime of fish(tinned) rice and peas<br> with a bit of fruit thrown in is getting to me after a week.<br>  I seem to have lost my old punch – the jury is out on the jacket and see the moth who flew in with sterile wings frightened to death of tweed.

On the clothes front – a little piece of advice.<br> Never buy second hand shoes whether for racing or not.<br> The fact they may belong to a dead man is immaterial.<br> Take note ! They have usually been cast out because they hurt.

PEOPLE DONT BOTHER TO RETURN ILL FITTING SHOES<br> THESE DAYS, THEY LEAVE TEHM AT THE BACK OF THE CUPBOARD <br> FOR SIX MONTHS THEN DONATE TO CHARITY. THE RETURN ROOMS OF THE GREAT DEPARTMENT STORES HAVE TURNED FROM BUSTLE INTO WOEFUL BARREN GHOST ROOMS.

The MAY front page has four entries

The highly exciting adventure of the Jackjane affair is headlines. The venerated knight Don Quixote would certainly have been greenwithenv at the insurmountable windmmill Jack through the flat-packed Jane at !

Avis has added another notch to his walking stick by being banned from the blue house – unengineered I assure you.

The old acorn – the each way debate – has been of hot interest in the tabloid. I saw a six figure each way at Cheltenham strike home, but there was definitely a face behind it, and the commoner’s with no loss track record can drown themselves in desperation waiting for a large wooden wedge.

Finally we have park football claimed by celebrity and thrust into our living rooms under the guise of saving Africa. Nothing would surprise me now and as the planet creeps under water, how long before the first naked news reader wirh flip flops is waiting menacingly in the wings, and the Derby line is tarred by the battling brothers from eastenders fighting over which donkey.

<br>

<br>  

Participant
    • Total Posts 5683

My final word on :old: clothes in a racescourse setting

<br>   Jackjane whetted our appetites in the city of cobbled love as he.. <br> "went looking for the proper attractions; Gucci, Versace, Lacoste, Hugo Boss, Armani "

Fair enough, but nothing at all was bought ! Not even an entertaining key chain or fiddle fob. Despite his lurching about the metro in the guise of an ordinarily clad tourist, just think of the racing crowd’s excited reception if he had arrived at the course reving up on a Lacoste and alighting springing with youthful flamboyance in a green psychadelic Hugo Boss suit. An electric swivel hat could be worn above – and peering up at it – the phosphorescent nose of De Gaulle stitched onto the back of the jacket with surprise flash lighting via its own independant circuitry – stuffed in the underpants.

I refer to a passage on vestments extracted from the holiness of Grimes’s old teste.

Suitable attire at the entrance to the Blessed gates will not guarantee a shoe in, but old verses tell us that the heavenlly sphere has its own rules of engagement and first impresssons are  vitally important, in what essentially is a numbers racket. Black is out, and nothing as precocious as white, but a grey trouser with a thin stripe would be viewed favourably by the sainted and ladies should be covered head to toe in cream linen.

Getting back to the racescourse…

Wear something you feel comfortable in that doesn’t make you look like a jackass. Bookmakers can tell.

Potts is an expert and wears a clever gold camaflouge to get his bets on.

<br>flatcapgamble.. Suede is favoured at Ayr but some northern courses insit on a cap  :biggrin:

<br> an edit is worse than a dubloe but the eyes made me

<br>

(Edited by gamble at 10:26 pm on May 29, 2006)

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.