The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Foxhunters Chase

Home Forums Horse Racing The Foxhunters Chase

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

If I was in any position to do so, I would swap the Midlands Grand National for this anomaly of a race.

Let the chinless ones gather on the Saturday for their day out.:biggrin:

The race disrupts the flow. It isn’t connected to anything which happens before or after.  Form is impossible to assess accurately. And yet, because it’s part of the festival, most people feel compelled to have a bet. Therefore, it’s a bookies benefit.

I’d rather have a 4 furlong sprint up the new course for still-fit steeplechasers – who the general racing public might know –  but who can no longer jump fences through injury.

At least that tests a turn of foot.:biggrin:   (I’m only half joking!)

Anyone else dislike the race?

Emerald
    • Total Posts 66

I don’t dislike the race as such but would make a couple of points that a) I don’t think it really fits in as being the race after the Gold Cup – such an anti climax and if there is going to be a Foxhunters I’d like it to be for horses trained by proper point to point trainers – not the professionals – that said I’m all for the old NH horses having a life after racing as we know it.

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

I love the race and its one of the highlights of the meeting for me – although I can see that the form can be inscrutible for anybody not familiar with pointing in England and Ireland.

It does give you a chance to see old favourites (Earthstopper etc) and some new up and comers.

I can see your issue regarding horses trained by licensed trainers and I for one cheer on the "proper" pointers.

The reason it follows the Gold Cup is for PR reasons like the ladies race following the King George at Ascot.

It enables the professionals, particularly the winning jockey, concerned in the finish of the Gold Cup to receive their prizes and then do press conferences/media interviews without having to rush off to weigh out for the next.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

Definitely agree with Adrian, it allows us all to calm down after the main event, sort of give’s us an hour to take in what had just happened.

I really liked the Novices Hunter Chase that was until recently the race after the National, found two of my favourite horses that way – Lord Atterbury and Arctic Times and another gorgeous looking horse of Tony Martin’s in Mr Softee.

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

I never bet on it..same as nearly all amateur races. I think they are an indulgence in what should be a professional business, in all senses of the word

But Adrians point a good one…didnt really consider that

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Quote: from Adrian on 7:55 pm on Mar. 19, 2006[br]It does give you a chance to see old favourites (Earthstopper etc) and some new up and comers.

I think the horse’s name is Earthmover

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Thanks David – as soon as I read my own posting I realised my error!

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

…..bit of a Freudian slip, I’d say ~ Earthstopper was a lovely horse too, some years ago.

BurroughhillBurroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1638

Seeing Earthmover win a couple of years back was the highlight of the festival for me, but as a rule, the race is a bit of an anti-climax after the Gold Cup, but then what race wouldn’t be?

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Quote: from Maxilon 5 on 4:06 pm on Mar. 19, 2006[br]If I was in any position to do so, I would swap the Midlands Grand National for this anomaly of a race.

Let the chinless ones gather on the Saturday for their day out.:biggrin:

The race disrupts the flow. It isn’t connected to anything which happens before or after.  Form is impossible to assess accurately. And yet, because it’s part of the festival, most people feel compelled to have a bet. Therefore, it’s a bookies benefit.

I’d rather have a 4 furlong sprint up the new course for still-fit steeplechasers – who the general racing public might know –  but who can no longer jump fences through injury.

At least that tests a turn of foot.:biggrin:   (I’m only half joking!)

Anyone else dislike the race?<br>

It isnt my FAV race of the festival but i like it. I enjoy the challenge of looking over pointing form from this country and Ireland. The form isnt hard to assess at all……. you obviously just dont look for it. I have had plenty of success in the race and im not a point to point fan, i rarely go.

I didnt have a bet this year as i thought the ground had gone against most with chances. The one i did fancy was Bother Na.

I think it gives the pro jocks some time off during the busy festival, who also like the watch the race.

Without it, i think the races would get a bit too repetitive. Its different and long may it continue

wilsonlwilsonl
    Participant
    • Total Posts 860

Historically I love this race and a decade or so ago it was my favourite race of the meeting – and one which I found particuary easy to pick the winner.

However that was in the days when horses like Double Silk, Rushing Wild, Earthmover… were winning.<br>Horses that had you thinking they could go on to be possibles for the Grand National / Gold Cup itself.

With the possibe exception of Kingscliffe, who has flattered to deceive and IMO was running out of steam when he won, there hasn’t been horses of the same calibre or potential winning in a fair while now.

Lee

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6940

Quote: from Adrian on 7:55 pm on Mar. 19, 2006[br]I love the race and its one of the highlights of the meeting for me – although I can see that the form can be inscrutible for anybody not familiar with pointing in England and Ireland.

It does give you a chance to see old favourites (Earthstopper etc) and some new up and comers.<br>

<br>Earthmover, perhaps?

I do enjoy these more Corinthian events at the Festival (four-miler, hunters), as they serve to remind me of the bedrock on which the sport was founded in the first place.

I was really enjoying this year’s renewal of the race when Bothar Na honed into view two out.  ;)

gc<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6940

Quote: from wilsonl on 4:45 pm on Mar. 20, 2006[br]Historically I love this race and a decade or so ago it was my favourite race of the meeting – and one which I found particuary easy to pick the winner.

However that was in the days when horses like Double Silk, Rushing Wild, Earthmover… were winning.<br>Horses that had you thinking they could go on to be possibles for the Grand National / Gold Cup itself.

With the possibe exception of Kingscliffe, who has flattered to deceive and IMO was running out of steam when he won, there hasn’t been horses of the same calibre or potential winning in a fair while now.

Lee<br>

<br>There are potentially one or two in the pointing field who could land a blow at a respectable level were they ever tried, but to date have not. Canon Bridge has destroyed all before him in 14 straight points now, and I agree with a comment in the Point-to-point and Hunter Chase Results update the other week that not having tried him under Rules yet is a travesty.

gc<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

How come two of my favourites finished first and second and I didn’t back either?

The only way it could have got better would have been a 1. Arctic Times, 2. Whyso Mayo, 3. First Down Jets tricast :)

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.