The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

THE COUCH

Home Forums Horse Racing THE COUCH

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • Author
    wakeman
    • Total Posts 434

Hi all, great to read the great man in today’s RP, for me always good entertainment along with Alastair Down :D .

Also in today’s RP a great piece by James Willoughby regarding the Jim Lewis and Henrietta Knight saga, i myself think there’s more to it.

What do you think.

Cheers.

Adrian.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2778

Having to read the "great man’s" column inside the Weekender every week I can see why he needs the extra money. Ok his cockney rhyming slang is mildly amusing but he tips more losers than Fergal Lynch.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Over the top, talentless journalist (a term I use very loosely, in the same way I would regarding Claude Duval) who seemingly spends more time coming up with wholly unentertaining jokes than writing worthwhile articles.

And he can’t tip for peanuts.

Alderbrook
    • Total Posts 349

Big Mac, Thommo, Matt Chapman and The Couch.

What did racing fans do wrong in a previous life to deserve that 4 timer?

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Spot on Alderbrook. To think that in some small way we pay for these idiots is very annoying.

davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Mark Winstanley

He is the RP’s tipster for Mondays and also writes a weekly column for the Weekender.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Let’s just say that he’s neither talented nor particularly slim, so would appear to spend much of his time on said couch (though clearly not watching racing).

Smithy
    • Total Posts 720

Over the top, talentless journalist (a term I use very loosely, in the same way I would regarding Claude Duval) who seemingly spends more time coming up with wholly unentertaining jokes than writing worthwhile articles.

And he can’t tip for peanuts.

I know it is before your time LGR, but I think he used to do quite well as Beat The Book in the Sporting Life (although I stand to be corrected by more senior forumites).

Pegwell Bay
    • Total Posts 208

Big Mac, Thommo, Matt Chapman and The Couch.

What did racing fans do wrong in a previous life to deserve that 4 timer?

You forgot Leslie Graham for the Canadian/Super Yankee. :x

:roll:

Glenn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1981

Losestanley is a legend now that punters have the ability to lay.

His ability to unearth the most over-hyped underpiced creature of the day every single time is uncanny.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

I stand corrected Smithy, though as you say I am (thankfully) able to claim youthful ignorance with regard to Winstanley’s aforementioned exploits :D

My experiences of the man though, as a journalist and as a guest on the first incarnation of ATR, have not been pleasant ones and there is no-one (other than Claude Duval) I’d like to see less of than Mark Winstanley.

When I investigated a number of tipping lines a few years ago, his was one which I regularly monitored. Without fail he spent 99% of the call talking his trademark cockney garbage, and trying (and failing) to impress you with his range of racing contacts, and would then wind up the 6-7 minute call with a short-priced favourite. And, on more than one occasion, the results he put on his Teletext advert the following day weren’t accurate…usually in the form of falsified winning prices (if infact he had managed to find a winner).

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

I have to tell you (copywright- Claude Duval) that I enjoyed his introductory description of Ludlow in his piece yesterday.

I am expecting the same sort of excellence from Simon today.

Colin

clivex
    • Total Posts 3420

My experiences of the man though, as a journalist and as a guest on the first incarnation of ATR, have not been pleasant ones and there is no-one (other than Claude Duval) I’d like to see less of than Mark Winstanley

oh do elaborate please… :D

If there is to be any interest from me in anyone elses tips, then they have to present some logic or reasoning that hadnt occured to me

Winstanleys "tips" are seemingly little more than "whispers" from mythical characters in his local "boozer"

But he writes ok and its mildly entertaining

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Surely the quote, ‘Having run out of ex-Timeform employees, the Racing Post has called upon yours truly’ must have raised a smile. The guy has a point when you look at the cv’s of Willoughby, Cunningham, Rowlands and Austen.

Peter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 548

A word in his defence.
    I think that he’s amusing in small doses but his tips are pretty poor.

FWIW I also like Mac and Lesley Graham most of the time.
    Tango Man Chapman however is as loathsome as they come. His performance on BC night was just appalling.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 53 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.