The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Barry Brogan Story

Home Forums Horse Racing The Barry Brogan Story

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Just been loaned the autobiography of Barry Brogan and it is a cracking read.

(Apparently it is difficult to find and I am on pain of death if I don’t give it back. He paid a pony for it a couple of weeks back at Newark Book Fair).

If you were starting out in the game and read this book back then, you’d never have another bet on a racehorse in your life.

The scale of his antics, (revealed in great detail) would embarass Dick Francis. If he’s telling the truth about his life, then it’s stronger than any fiction.

There are plenty of forumites who have been defending jockeys, trainers and the sport over the past month – and you read daily the "cleanest sport on Earth" comments from present day jockeys and pundits.

All I can say is thank God racing has cleaned itself up since the late sixties and early seventies, I should cocoa.;)

Any of you guys remember him? I’d never heard of him until yesterday.  And was he exaggerating to sell copies of his book after he hit hard times? Genuinely interested.

Cheers

Max

Maurice
    Participant
    • Total Posts 355

Barry Brogan does a fine job on BBC Radio 2 between 7.30am and 9.30am ;)

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5124

Far too young so nowt to offer.

Frankly the exploits of jockeys such as he, Biddlecombe, King and Nicholson leave me cold. Those weren’t the days.

Cubone, Gamble and APracing may enlighten you

bluechariot
    • Total Posts 569

I remember Barry Brogan, he came from a HN family in Co Meath. He would be about 58 now.  He had a younger brother called Peter who also rode a few,  He cameto England and started to ride for Ken Oliver .his most famous mount was The Dikler for Fulke Walwyn, unfortunately he was very fond of the bottle and that was his downfall, he ended up in prison.A really nice guy when sober but drink brought out the worst in him. <br>(Edited by bluechariot at 11:47 pm on Sep. 22, 2006)<br>

(Edited by bluechariot at 8:00 am on Sep. 23, 2006)

Boye
    • Total Posts 19

I’m old enough to remember Barry Brogan. He was a brilliant jockey who rode good winners for Ken Oliver and was then stable jockey to the great Fulke Walwyn. That’s how good he was. He won the King George on The Dikler and the Scottish National on something else. I particularly associate him with a superb two-miler called Even Keel, who was very fast over his fences. Booze beat Brogan early on and he went wrong.  

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Thanks for the input lads, much appreciated. Sorry for the wrinkly accusations Drone and GH.:cool:  No offence intended.

Last thirty pages of the book are amongst the most powerful I’ve read for a while. Element’s of "Cuckoo’s Nest" and modern loser-lit/Jezza Kyle; to say the lad wrote the book in 1980, it hasn’t dated at all. I’d recommend it.

LUKE
    • Total Posts 271

The book is a very good read.BB is now a reformed character and I think he trains in Macao.

bear
    • Total Posts 143

Sorted himself out and was training, but had a bad fall on the gallops a couple of years back and last I heard was confined to a wheelchair.

A right cove when riding – I’ve got his book somewhere and I think I’ll give it another read. Tells some interesting tales particularly of his time with Ken Oliver. A different era to the choirboys riding now – can’t drink, can’t bet, can’t pass on info…………

Always remember BB on High Ken in the Grand National. Clear, going like a bomb and jumping like a stag until going arse over tit a fence or two before Becher’s second time.

rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

Quote: from bear on 5:50 pm on Sep. 27, 2006[br]Always remember BB on High Ken in the Grand National. Clear, going like a bomb and jumping like a stag until going arse over tit a fence or two before Becher’s second time.

<br>It would take a brave man to ride High Ken, and a bloody fool to follow him!

bear
    • Total Posts 143

Hmmm, step forward Dickie Pitman – poor old Pendil!!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.