The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The ashes is a load of old mince !!!!

Home Forums General Sports The ashes is a load of old mince !!!!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

Let me get this right. All this fuss about England winning the ashes when they did was about them celebrating winning a two team tournament which is played every 1 or 2 years with the same two countries ?

So the Australians kept on hammering them, and because they finally won it once they go mad and we never hear the end of it ?

I can’t stand that bloody cricket, but i do hope Australia win because we will never hear the bloody end of it if they dont !!!! :D

Are australia good value at 5/4 anyone ????

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Graeme, as you say that you don’t like cricket I fear that I may already be too late, but nevertheless, I shall attempt to save you from your heathen ways.

The Ashes is the oldest rivalry in international cricket. England first played Australia in 1877, though the Ashes didn’t strictly come into being until 1882. If international Test cricket is your thing, then this is the competition with the longest pedigree. You must remember that Test cricket is almost unique in major sports not to have a proper tournament or championship. All we have are bi-lateral series and hence, the historical rivalries.

I think there is something else at work here too. Cricket spread round the world due to the British Empire. It is a sport based on colonial nations competing with the mother country. But due to the thorny issues of race, religion and politics, Australia are pretty much the only country of the former colonies with whom we can be as culturally disparaging as we like. (New Zealand are probably the other one, but then that isn’t as much fun).

Many of those outside the two countries concerned grumble that the English and the Australians are only interested in the Ashes and that they should show more interest in say, England v India. I view things differently. At a time when Test cricket audiences globally are on the wane (and have been for some time) the ICC should be asking how they can make all those other series like the Ashes.

If it is the vainglory of the English after 2005 that bothers you, then I agree. Open top bus parades and MBEs all round was a little silly. But then, make a man walk across the Sahara for nineteen years then give him the keys to the brewery and he is apt to go a little crazy.

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

I’m sorry Andrew, but i can’t be saved. I see cricket as a bigger threat to Scotlands dignity than swine flu. They should have left their cricket bats behind when the empire crumbled.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

I think the Krankies took care of Scotland’s dignity a while ago.

Goldikova
    • Total Posts 1537

They were before my time mate, unlike Julian Clarey, Dame Edna and Dale Winton, :lol:

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

I don’t think there are going to be any winners in the dignity argument

:lol:

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6212

I heard a while back that Scotland has a higher proportion of cricketers per head of population than any other country. The reason the game doesn’t progress at the top level here is lack of a full-time team. Given the resources they have, the Scotland team doesn’t do too badly in their efforts against county sides though basically outclassed in interntaitonal events. Mind you, Ireland’s resources wouldn’t be an awful lot more and they have had noted successes in international competition.

Rob

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2158

Who would watch the ashes when you can watch two Nationwide standard teams slog out crap football to a background of songs about Bobby Sands?

Australia are not good value at present odds..

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Can’t be arsed with cricket at County or (for the large part) International level, but the Ashes makes for great TV…………..so long as England get ****** over.

:mrgreen:

Seriously, I genuinely like watching the Ashes series.It’s one of the few sporting events on the calendar where the rivarly is 100% genuine, and requires no hype to build up the atmosphere.

It’s just a shame that this rule-of-thumb did not extend to England’s recent victory, which was lauded as one of the greatest sporting achievements in history (which it wasn’t). The hype that surrounded them regaining the Ashes was a piece of jingoistic nonsense. At least the England squad had the good grace to be too tanked to notice most of it.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2158

Complete rubbish

England beat (and could easily have been 3-1) one of the very best sides in test history. The best since i started watching seriously in the late 70s. I would put them above the fine windies sides of the past, simply because they had greater variety (and batted deeper)

It was a superb achivement.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Complete rubbish

England beat (and could easily have been 3-1) one of the very best sides in test history. The best since i started watching seriously in the late 70s. I would put them above the fine windies sides of the past, simply because they had greater variety (and batted deeper)

It was a superb achivement.

My auntie could "easily have been" my uncle if she had a tadger.

And whilst I will bow to your greater knowledge as regards the "very best sides in test history", it would be good to hear an independent view on your assessment from Andrew, or one of the other resident cricket afficionados. Unfortunately, your track record of talking undiluted bollocks on a variety of subjects, means that I cannot immediately agree with what you state.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2158

Stick to Formula One. Unlike Cricket, the intelligence of a cabbage is all thats required to follow that. You would be perfectly at home

To preempt any dispute over which was the greatest side, I would suggest that that aussie side would have beaten the windies very easily. The windies main (boring) weapon of intimidation with endless bouncers (at that time) has been negated by vastly improved technique by all international batsmen against this tiresome weapon. Against that McGrath would have beautifully exploited thier batsmans impatience when tied down…and then there is Warne. One weakness of that windies side was against quality spin and Warne would have taken them, apart.

Of course the windies had richards and Greenidge etc, but Ponting and Hayden certainly match those two (and maybe even had/have better averages)

No conmtest

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Goodson.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Clive, have you been at the gin?

I’d accept that the Australian team of McGrath and Warne would have given the West Indies a run for their money but no contest? I’d quote Mr McInroe at you, but I’ve had enough of tennis.

The Aussies of 2005, let us remember, included Jason Gillespie, who had completely forgotten where he was supposed to land the red round shiny thing in his hand, Simon Katich, who at that time appeared to be the timidest player ever to pick up a bat and Michael Clarke, who was very nice to look at for the twenty minutes he was at the crease.

Yes McGrath could tie them down Warne would weave his magic in any era, but Lee, Gillespie and Kasprowicz would have been marmalised. Of the batsmen, Ponting would repeatedly get himself out trying to pull off the front foot (or spend a long time in hospital having top edged Holding or Roberts into his face) and Clarke and Katich would be quivering wrecks. Hayden and Langer would be up for the fight, but if the West Indies played Marshall, he’d probably be able to exploit Hayden’s cumbersome footwork.

All entirely hypothetical but fascinating to imagine. I think somebody did once try to predict the outcome between Steve Waugh’s Aussie team and the great West Indians, but that was done on a computer, which is no fun at all

Yes, the 2005 series could have finished 3-1, but then it could also have been 2-2 if the umpires had spotted that Kasprowicz wasn’t actually out at Edgbaston.

I didn’t think the celebrations were over the top, though the MBEs all round were. Of more concern to me was the lack of a reaction when they got stuffed 5-0 last time. Even Pietersen has said they aren’t looking for revenge. Why not? Even after going down 2-1 in a narrow series in 2005, the Aussies were champ ing at the bit to have their revenge.

Finally, as ever, Clive, I don’t see why you feel the need to be so aggressive and personal. Is it your time of the month?

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Finally, as ever, Clive, I don’t see why you feel the need to be so aggressive and personal. Is it your time of the month?

It’s because he has a massive crush on me.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Ah, I see. Unrequited love. A tragic thing.

clivexx
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2158

Thats nonsense about Ponting Andrew and you know it. he would have handled those bowlers (as he has against every bowler in the world) just fine. Hes far froma one trick pony in his batting

Granted Gillespie was a weak link, but we know full well that Warne could bowl for ever on any pitch and still have them in real trouble. Just as he has done against just about every batting line up in the world (excpet India maybe)

And Dujon vs Gilchrist? Worlds apart

The windies batting line up was not always chocker with unbeatable talent either. Haynes finished with a test average of 42….nothing special… Logie? Gomes? Good players but…

But the key point is that whilst Roberts and Holding were far more skilful than just bouncers and initimation, it was a big p[art of their armoury and one that is routinely negated now by virtually all batsmen. Good thing too. The windies could be a seriously boring side to watch live.

they would have had no answer to Warne though. No one ever has

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.