The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The Annoying Thommo and a New Racing Channel

Home Forums Horse Racing The Annoying Thommo and a New Racing Channel

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    bettingboy
    • Total Posts 100

Derek Thompson makes me laugh, sardonically I mean. He was talking to trainer at York yesterday and the trainer was umming and ahh-ing and saying that his horse was maybe in with a chance at some of the form, but there were horses in the race whose form wasn’t related and basically saying ‘who the f*** knows?’ and Thommo said with that half-Alan Partridge voice of his: ‘exactly, and that’s the beauty of racing.’
    And I thought, ‘Is it?’
    I suppose it is when you’re earning a fortune talking about it and tipping no-price favourites on a premium rate phone line, but the way some of the races have gone at York maybe Ladbrokes should bring in pinning the tail on the donkey while blindfolded – i’ll punt on it for 50 quid a pop.

But Thommo’s comment got me thinking. How refreshing it would be to have a racing channel that was rich enough to outbid everyone else and then have presenters that were, within the bounds of law and decency, a little more two-fisted than they are now. Take the piss a bit more; push the the law of fair comment to its extremes; sympathise with punters a bit; hit the commentary box desk and howl when their selection comes seventh, beaten by a miraculous return to form 25-1 shot. It would be most entertaining.
    Of course, the trainers and the jockeys would airily refuse to speak to the presenters, but so what? What have you ever learned from a trainer or jockey’s pre-race comment? Some mumbling about rain or the lack of it? And did you ever care after a race? If you’ve won you’re happy and if not then you don’t want to hear some mumble about what a grand horse the horse you didn’t back is.
    Alistair Down sometimes seems like he’s about to go ‘off-piste’, but always pulls back. I name this new racing channel PUNTER TV.

bettingboy
    • Total Posts 100

…although one of our most eminent members would find it repellent (but not for any moral reason), when a a selection you’ve backed has been given a rubbish ride, how refreshing it would be to hear the tv commentator shout: ‘That ******** jockey couldn’t ride my old granny!’

PUNTER TV, folks.

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

‘That ******** jockey couldn’t ride my old granny!’

That reminds me of a race a few months ago when the commentator came into the press room, almost ashen face, after the winner had recorded a facile victory. A winner which I think he may well have backed.

He said – "Bl**dy hell, I only just managed to stop myself saying it."

"Stopped yourself saying what?" came the response.

"I so nearly said in commentary ‘He’s fu*king pi$$ed up.’"

How lovely would it have been to hear that!!!

bettingboy
    • Total Posts 100

I agree. You get snobs and egos in the press rooms but you also get some banter that would cut through the starchiness like a hot knife through butter.

I don’t like they way they call Hamdan Al Maktoum ‘sir’ on the TV. Why not Hamdam? They didn’t call Sea the Stars owner ‘sir’.

indocine
    • Total Posts 489

What have you

ever

learned from a trainer or jockey’s pre-race comment?.

I recall Pat Rohan tipping up his Ayr Gold Cup winner a few weeks prior. Nothing worth mentioning since then.

bettingboy
    • Total Posts 100

Eddie Ahern said this week in the Post about one of his rides: ‘I will be very disappointed if we don’t win’ That gets a nice tick.
    Other than that, the last time I remember a trainer being anything more than pretty circumspect was when Paul Nicholls said ‘Lump on!’ about Kauto Star.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

I don’t like they way they call Hamdan Al Maktoum ‘sir’ on the TV. Why not Hamdam? They didn’t call Sea the Stars owner ‘sir’.

It’s called courtesy, bettingboy. It’s the usual thing to extend to senior foreign diplomats who are keeping your country’s racing afloat. I think they should really call everyone "sir" (even Michael Tabor).

They don’t call Sea The Stars "sir" because he is a horse and would not understand.

I hope though that he

did

understand the warmly respectful applause that rang round the Knavesmire for him yesterday: what a pleasant change from the simian hooting and whistling that usually accompanies such displays of approbation.

hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 248

Heh Pinza, I do believe you missed out a crucial word in Bettingboy’s post re Sea The Stars……………. the word

"owner".

:)

I do agree that the sycophancy and fawning of some TV presenters/journos reaches puke-inducing levels at times.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

PUNTER TV sounds an excellent idea but a very unlikely event.

Now, PUNTER NEWSPAPER doesn’t sound so far fetched.

Colin

hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 248

presenters that , within the bounds of law and decency, ; push the the law of fair comment to its extremes; sympathise with punters a bit; hit the commentary box desk and howl .

Well, we did have an example of a presenter doing just that a few months ago, and look at how that panned-out for him …………… an enforced holiday.

Like him or loath him, but Matt Chapman did on most occasion speak his mind. However, his "

telling it like it is"

regarding the "commitment" of Keith Clarke’s riding of Damien’s Oscar remains a cautionary tale for any other presenter tempted to break cover in expressing their honest opinion.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

……………..you are using the past tense, Hoof, does Matt no longer speak his mind?

I’m asking because I find it difficult to judge the ‘man’s’ sincerity.

Colin

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6221

To quote one Musselburgh patron last winter when Thommo’s paddock patter was in full flow:

"Och, ah’m away, ah cannae listen tae this numpty!"

hoofhearted
    • Total Posts 248

Colin, was Sincerity ever a prerequisite for

entree

to the world of media? :)
    Sincerity is as rare as hen’s teeth in that environment.
    Is sincerity that important anyway? Integrity, yes ….. but sincerity?
    But what Matt does have is ebullience in spadefuls, and his infectious enthusiasm for the sport is undeniable.

Does Matt still speak his mind? Well, I do think that he is more circumspect and cautious since the Keith Clarke incident ……… understandably so, considering the fallout that ensued.
    But he is still up there with most in his honest assessment of a race, imo.

Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 1904

Excellent suggestion. If you could persuade Glenn to co-present it with Matt Chapman, then I would certainly subscribe.

And no adverts.

But what Matt does have is ebullience in spadefuls, and his infectious enthusiasm for the sport is undeniable.

I agree. Like Thommo he doesn’t appear to care what people think of him. If you are going to entertain people, then you have to be prepared to make a prat of yourself occasionally. (I imagine :D )

bettingboy
    • Total Posts 100

It’s called courtesy, bettingboy. It’s the usual thing to extend to senior foreign diplomats who are keeping your country’s racing afloat. I think they should really call everyone "sir" (even Michael Tabor).

I don’t agree, but I accept it is a matter of opinion.

They don’t call Sea The Stars "sir" because he is a horse and would not understand

Do pay attention!

bettingboy
    • Total Posts 100

Now, PUNTER NEWSPAPER doesn’t sound so far fetched.

If only the backing was available!

THE PUNTER as a website might rock. You could do it for fourpence and it would give the Post site a run for its half a loaf of bread…

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6964

But Thommo’s comment got me thinking. How refreshing it would be to have a racing channel that was rich enough to outbid everyone else and then have presenters that were, within the bounds of law and decency, a little more two-fisted than they are now. Take the piss a bit more; push the the law of fair comment to its extremes; sympathise with punters a bit; hit the commentary box desk and howl when their selection comes seventh, beaten by a miraculous return to form 25-1 shot. It would be most entertaining.

Half of me agrees. The other half fears it could just as easily be a tabloid radio abomination.

A channel in which the presenters are given carte blanche to clatter on as much as they want about how they were robbed, robbed!, they were, soon runs the risk of becoming as much of an exercise in egotism as, say, other more "establishment" presenters (for want of a better expression) name-dropping which trainers of horses running today they dined with last night. I remain to be convinced that either actually adds much to the listener / viewer experience.

I wonder if sometimes we risk treating the harbouring of opinions in the racing media with far too broad brush-strokes – that either those opinions are too establishment, too cosy and challenging to be regarded as credible; or else that they are too ill-conceived, ill-informed or hateful to be thought of as anything other than pub- and / or pocket-talk.

A middle way can be achieved, if the presenters entrusted with doing so are suitably adroit.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.