The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The 2.05 at Donny

Home Forums Horse Racing The 2.05 at Donny

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Professortrubshawe
    • Total Posts 505

WHAT AN OUTSTANDING ADVERT FOR THE JOYS OF FLAT RACING! KEEP PRODUCING RACES LIKE THAT AND YOU WILL ATTRACT *HORDES* OF NEW FANS! GGGGGGREAT!

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5950

Dare I ask on what basis?

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Perhaps on the basis that there isn’t a 2.05 at Doncaster.

Professortrubshawe
    • Total Posts 505

Perhaps on the basis that there isn’t a 2.05 at Doncaster.

Saturday March 31 2012
    Doncaster 14:05 – Result
    William Hill Spring Mile (Handicap) (Str)
    £40000 added, 4yo plus, 1m, Class 3, 22 ran

Tip: no-one likes a smart***

Eclipse First
    • Total Posts 1569

Yesterday is history sweetie. As your post was made today I assumed you were looking forward.

Better to be a smart **** than just a complete ****

Professortrubshawe
    • Total Posts 505

Dare I ask on what basis?

If you took someone to Donny (not a town I would want to go past in a train never mind visit, but) who’d never been racing, after you’d shown them a bit about form and a bit about betting Norse God would have won a rather silly race on silly terms at 50/1.
    Person might say: ‘so, no one could find the winner?’
    ‘I doubt if many people were on, no.’
    ‘And everyone’s lost their money, including me?’
    Yes.
    ‘Right. OK.’
    As we head for the bar, I might say: ‘Racing anoraks will say ‘well, it’s the start of the Flat and four year old form and the highly questionable all-weather farce muddying the form and yadda yadda, and it’s all perfectly true.’
    ‘So why are these races run?’
    ‘Well, hmmm. They sort of have to be.’
    ‘Right. OK.’

Professortrubshawe
    • Total Posts 505

Yesterday is history sweetie. As your post was made today I assumed you were looking forward.

Better to be a smart **** than just a complete ****

It was made at 1am, dear. I would have thought a smart*** would have seen that.

Is history not valid in racing…?

thehorsesmouth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5551

Long shots are bound to win races Prof on the law of averages. Obviously less people will have backed it but you can bet those people were pretty pleased with the price.

Was there something wrong with the race because one of the favorites didn’t win?

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5950

Professor

If you take your argument to its logical conclusion then can I assume that you don’t approve of 50/1 winners and, by inference, don’t approve of any connections who have the temerity to run a horse price 50/1?

Never mind that the stable might have been working their a***s off to prepare their charges for an early campaign, maybe hoping to recapture form from horses who tailed off a little last year.

If 50/1 chances aren’t allowed to win races may I ask at what price horses are allowed to win. Maybe there should be a sort out at the start, and all horses at 20/1 or over should be sent home? I just picture connections spreading the cash around in the ring to get the price down!

Norse Blues paid £106.00 on the Tote, which at least suggest there were a few happy punters at Doncaster, maybe those whose favourite colour is blue, and good luck to them I say.

rob

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28448

In British racing yesterday there were:
    12 with an SP of 50/1
    10 with SP of 66/1
    3 @ 80/1
    4 @ 100/1
    2 @ 150/1
    1 @ 200/1
    1 @ 250/1

Even by taking bookmakers mark ups from their prices, it’s not that surprising one of them won.

50/1 shots win the percentage of races you’d expect them to win (by their price less mark up).

Value Is Everything
    homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2540

Talking through my pocket but I thought this was a great race. Certainly made it a more interesting afternoon’s racing for me on my Donny 50p lucky 15. Just a shame all my other horses in the bet were last or near last :lol: Never had a 50/1 or bigger before which actually equated to 150/1 on the "One Winner, Treble the Odds" slip :wink:

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.