The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

The 15:40 at Towcester

Home Forums Horse Racing The 15:40 at Towcester

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    FlatSeasonLoverFlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

I unfortunately don’t even have access to a TV at the moment so watched the race on Betfair.

I had backed Quirino and saw the favourite at around 1.05 for a while then touch 1.01 and was about to turn it off in disappointment when I saw Quirino jump in a bit and then get to 1.20 when it was suspended. It then won in a photo I assume? Did the favourite chuck it away?

bear
    • Total Posts 143

Fav went on swinging for home – both fences ommited in the straight due to low sun! Maintained a two length lead (both horses under pressure) until ran out of puff 100 yards out, winner stayed on to lead 10 yards from home. Looked unlikely a furlong out – but it was Towcester!

graysonscolumngraysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Yep, Bear, that’s about how I’d have called it having been trackside this afternoon.

I thought Esprit Saint had done enough turning for home, and had there been anything to jump in the straight he would have collected here, as Quirino pitched left and was generally far less accomplished at his obstacles. Pardon the wheeling out of an old cliche, but Esprit Saint goes down as a winner without a penalty after this.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

FlatSeasonLoverFlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Ok thank you. It sounds like I got lucky then.

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

I was there yesterday and agree with Grayson, if they had those fences to jump im pretty sure the King horse would have won. The German horse won by a good head in the end.

I did think Choc thought he had won though, he never stopped riding but he did put his stick down for a few strides and that MAY have made the difference because the horse was responding well to it in the final 2furlongs.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

I’d go further still and say that Quirino shouldn’t be tried around a right-hand track again, unless with recourse to headgear – he was losing varying amounts of ground at each obstacle by pitching left.

Incidentally, I’m sure there’s a little irony in Tom Scudamore being fired through the wing of a fence by a horse called Killing Me Softly in the same race.

Jeremy<br>(graysonscolumn)<br>

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

BurroughhillBurroughhill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1638

I’m not sure if she still is, but Killing me Softly used to be trained by John Gallagher; Celritas’s trainer and is therefore one I’ve always followed with interest. I was gutted when she went out at that fence! She’d been going so well. Grrrrrrr……

Participant
    • Total Posts 6939

Yep, BH, still one of his!

gc<br>

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.