The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Teofilo

Home Forums Horse Racing Teofilo

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

I see Jim Bolger has come up with the idea of substituting the King George for the St Leger for the purposes of a new-fangled modern-day Triple Crown and also he states "it would be a big wrench not to go for the Irish Champion Stakes or the Arc, so we will just have to wait and see." which is a worry for backers of the Triple Crown.

So if you owned the colt and he won the 2000 Guineas and Derby, which route would you go down?

(Edited by davidbrady at 3:35 pm on April 25, 2007)

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

Didn’t he also say in that interview that if Teofilo actually wins the Guineas and Derby, he’d love to have a crack at the Leger?

Flash
    • Total Posts 1144

Definitely the triple crown if its possible. To achieve that gives you immortatlity. 37 years since its last been done would be a massive achievement, massive news and absolutely brilliant for the sport.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1137

I’d go for the proper races.

The Leger is just a joke of a g1 these days.

(even more than the English Derby)

Steve

yeatsyeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2921

The prize money would have to be a lot more than it is to go for the Leger although you’d have to take into account how likely he would be to get the trip, you wouldn’t want another Shergar.

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

The Arc would have to be the choice, the Ledger is a substandard group 1 IMO.

JohnJ.

heffo
    • Total Posts 319

The triple crown for sure. Immortality.<br>Be great for the sport too. The media would surely pick up on it, similar to the way the yanks sit up when one is on for it over there.

Sal
    • Total Posts 562

Depends how stretched he looked over 12f – but my impulse would be to go for the Triple Crown.  Only one chance to have a crack at it – why not?  The other races will stay be there next year when he stays in training as a champion 4yr old…..oh dear, that’s probably the problem, isn’t it?  

I hope they are brave enough for two things – the Triple Crown, and keeping him in training.  I fear that without the latter the former is extremely unlikely.

heffo
    • Total Posts 319

The more I think about this horse and his season in front of him, the more my spine tingles. I really hope he lives up to all expectations this season. Did any of you see the interviews with J Bolger on ATR and RUK today? It all helps add to the anticipation.<br>Racing as much as any other sport needs it’s superstars and I hope this horse is the real deal. One thing that really stands out in my mind is that he doesn’t have to have things his own way to win a race. Infact things have gone against him and he has still won, surely a sign of a true champion. Alot has been made of Holy Roman Emperor failing to get a clear run in The Dewhurst, I’m not contradicting this. But if you look at the race again, Telofilo fell out of the stalls and K Manning had to use more petrol early on, than he would have liked, to get him into position. Maybe this was why he idled so apparently that day. What ever way you look at it, an observer could only be impressed by the way he immediately fought back and stuck his neck out to win.<br> The "hiccup" last week, as Bolger called it, is worrying. I’m of the opinion that they wouldn’t go to Newmarket if it was going to jeopardise the rest of his season.<br>The talk of a ‘Triple Crown’ makes the pulse quicken. Although it’s hard not to agree that the St. Ledger doesn’t hold the prestige it once did, if Jim Bolger’s charge is lining up to take his chance, attempting the third leg of a Triple Crown, the eyes of the racing world would, surely, all be focused on Doncaster.<br>Of course the possibilty of a crashing anti climax on May the fifth has more than just crossed my mind. I imagine I’ll cry myself to sleep, wondering how I’m going to recoup the considerable losses.One of the great characteristics of this sport is that the great races decide and more often than not there can be little argument in the aftermath. If any of the members of the forum are lucky enough to be present at Newmarket on 2,000 Guineas day, I’d encourage you to get down to the parade ring prior to the big race and get as close to Teofilo as one can, while he’s being led around.He has a sort of presence about him that will impress you.<br>You may by now have noticed that I just can’t wait for May the fifth. I’m starting to think I’ll have a nervous break down in the days leading up to it.<br>Anyway pardon my alcohol induced waffle, hope you didn’t spend to much time reading it and come on "The Monster".

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17727

Quote: from johnjdonoghue on 6:11 pm on April 25, 2007[br]The Arc would have to be the choice, the Ledger is a substandard group 1 IMO.

JohnJ.<br>

The triple crown is the ultimate prize, and the one the whole 3yo season is designed around.<br>It was also maligned as unimportant 37 years ago, but the last colt to win it remains a legend to this day, as do those associated with him.

(Edited by reet hard at 4:51 am on April 26, 2007)

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

RH,

If if I had a choice I would send my horse to the Arc. The Arc is ultimate race for middle distance horses IMO. The field is always top class, with the best older horses taking on the three year olds. This cannot be said of the Ledger, it may be the 3rd leg of the triple crown, but for prestige there is no comparison between the Arc and Ledger.

JohnJ.<br>

Gareth Flynn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 583

Go for both.

colinf
    • Total Posts 145

It is hard to see him winning all these races with Kevin Manning riding regardless of how good the horse might be.

SirHarryLewisSirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1194

Quote: from johnjdonoghue on 12:54 pm on April 26, 2007[br]RH,

If if I had a choice I would send my horse to the Arc. The Arc is ultimate race for middle distance horses IMO. The field is always top class, with the best older horses taking on the three year olds. This cannot be said of the Ledger, it may be the 3rd leg of the triple crown, but for prestige there is no comparison between the Arc and Ledger.

JohnJ.

True the ledger doesnt have the prestige of the arc but to a horse who has already won the 2000 guineas and the derby and lets say the King George, then the Ledger would read a lot better on his CV than the arc.  Simply because it would probably be harder to achieve.  Only very few horses quick enough to win the guineas have the stamina for the derby let alone the ledger.

I cant see him attempting it though.  

SHL

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.