The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Ten To Follow Flat 2012

Home Forums Horse Racing Ten To Follow Flat 2012

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    del_boy
    • Total Posts 386

Hi all,

Can’t seem to find a thread on this on the forum atm, so i will start one now, as the competition starts this saturday.

The main reason for posting this thread is because i am struggling with one or two horses in my final selections.

Im struggling to narrow down my last pick for an older horse that isn’t obviously going into any classics such as the derby etc, but is a quality mid/stayer horse.

All with similar entries, my list to choose from consists of Cirrus des Aigles, Carlton House, Sea Moon, Golden Lilac, St Nicholas Abbey, Nathaniel and Dunaden.

I dont know if its me, but by the time you have finished sorting your english classic horses and bonus point race horses, you find you have little room to concentrate on the other classics in different countries. So if somebody could help me out with providing some tips for the french classics etc, that would be much appreciated. Im struggling to find a site with french guineas/oaks/derby odds etc, and a good horse that will likely be in the finishing frame and go onto the arc etc.

In relation to my struggling of a mid/stayer horse, the one i have in mind is Carlton House. Ive just got a gut feeling he is going to be a force this year. Stoutey is the king at providing wins with these kind of horses, such as Sea Moon, Workforce, Conduit etc, therefore i remain in hope he can bring the best out of Carlton House.

Cheers,
    del_boy.

threenaps
    Participant
    • Total Posts 315

Carlton House as you say has been entered in the Prince of Wales Stakes but is not entered in the Coronation Cup so it looks like 10f will be his distance. Sea Moon is entered in the Coronation Cup but Fiorente who is entered in the Jockey Club Stakes has no entry for that race. There are no Stoute Horses entered in the Curragh Gold Cup.

As the Coronation Cup and Curragh Gold Cup are not bonus races then you could just not pick a 12f older horse until the "window" in July prior to the King George. Of course you then run the risk of a horse winning both at the Curragh and Epsom or Newmarket and Epsom losing 45 or 50 early points.

AO’B has all his best older horses entered in all 3 of these G1 races apart from Memphis Tennessee who is not entered in the Prince of Wales.Also Excelebration is not entered for Epsom.

For many years I have entered 9 lines containing various permutations of 15 horses with no success. This year I am just going to enter 1 line. I am only picking colts and horses aged between 3 and 5 year old that are likely to race in the bonus races between 8f and 12f, those races being 14 of the bonus races.

I am intending to pick as my 10: (tomorrow I might have different ideas Might pick Sea Moon instead of St Nick or Memphis Tennessee !!)

Frankel
    Carlton House
    Memphis Tennessee
    Monterosso
    St Nicholas Abbey
    Camelot
    Parish Hall
    French Fifteen
    Trumpet Major
    Swedish Sailor

During the "window" in July I’ll most likely pick one for the King George and a miler if Frankel is stepped up in trip.

As to French classic entries Fely did post a list of those entered awhile ago, I think its somewhere on the French racing thread that she often contributes to.

Good Luck. Probably haven’t helped you at all :lol:

del_boy
    • Total Posts 386

hi there,

yes i see your logic around swapping the horses for later races in the year.

the older horses imo will be quality this year. as i said before, carlton house is my dark horse for the ttf.

ill have to find that thread on the french horses as well, because i said to myself at the start of the season that i have to defintly put golden lilac in there.

in terms of older milers, im not sure what else other than frankel. i guess strong suit is an option, as it is likely connections will go abroad again, something which im sure frankel wont.

thanks.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28423

Got Frankel in all 18 lists
    Camalot 10
    Maybe 9
    Black Caviar 8
    Excellebration 7
    Lyric Of Light, Discourse, Cirrus Des Aigles 6
    Fame And Glory 5
    Trumpet Major, Born To Sea, Dabirsim, Hoof It, Strong Suit, St Nicholas Abbey, Saddler’s Rock, Colour Vision 4
    Abtaal, Top Offer, Bonfire, Akeed Mofeed, Wading, Bated Breath, Immortal Verse, Galikova, Sea Moon, Monterosso, Opinion Poll 3
    Power, French Fifteen, Fencing, Imperial Monarch, Mandean, The Fugue, Sepoy, Moonlight Cloud, Wizz Kid, Vita Nova 2
    Harbour Watch, Swedish Sailor, Parish Hall, Nephrite, Cityscape, Nahrain, Emulous, Alanza, Fiorente, Nathaniel, Masked Marvel, Planteur, Meandre, Dunaden, Brown Panther 1

Value Is Everything
    Stormwatch
    Participant
    • Total Posts 33

If you havent got Homecoming Queen you can forget it !!!

del_boy
    • Total Posts 386

as much as i would like to agree with you on not having a 1000 guineas win in the TTF, i disagree still at having homecomingqueen. believe me, not many people will have that horse.

o’brien is known for having the second string’s win. got a feeling this horse will be like some of those horses. for example take the irish derby winners frozen fire and treasure beach. they haven’t really done anything after their major win have they?

still, credit where its due. im just glad ive put kissed in my ttf as a back up measure incase maybe fails to fire again in the oaks.

Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 28423

Treasure Beach and Frozen Fire were poor Classic winners DB. Homecoming Queen won by some way and looks like she’s a good one.

However, there won’t be many with her in their 10, concievably only those who’re Coolmore fanatics. Unless Homecoming Queen wins a string of Group 1 races, don’t think we should give up yet. And there’s always the monthly/Royal Ascot etc prizes to be won.

Value Is Everything
    del_boy
    • Total Posts 386

yes indeed, they were poor classic winners, which is exactly my point. its very hard to judge the win of homecoming queens guineas due to her previous patchy form you could say, not knowing whats next in relation to my two example horses.

still, doesn’t take away the fact that the second string horse won, which is as i say, an ever becoming popular trait with aob, as seen today with st nicholas abbey.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.