The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Sussex Stakes 2010

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Sussex Stakes 2010

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

After looking at replays of the race a good few times, the only word I can use to describe the inclusion of a pacemaker for RVW is ‘pointless’.

AOB said before the race that he’d come on for the run once more, which not only reads to me like he wasn’t

expected

to win, but would also imply that the jockeys orders were not to go

all out

for the win too, which is how it appeared.

The pacemaker was ignored when it mattered most, in the first half of the race, meaning the pace only looked medium overall. RVW showed a rare turn of foot for one that was still well short, and wasn’t made to grind for too long – certainly not long enough if he were to run the finish out of CC. Exactly what

was

the plan?

AOB, RVW and Ryan Moore certainly could have made things more difficult in hindsight, IMO, and I’d of liked to see if CC could of quickened off a brutally run mile at Goodwood. :|

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

How good is the 2010 version of Rip Van Winkle?
    Canford Cliffs ran him down comfortably under a hand ride.

RVW looks behind the likes of Canford Cliffs, Goldikova, Dick Turpin and Paco Boy this season

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

RVW ran a faster time on slower ground last year, I think Rip Van Winkle is no where near the horse he was and I think you have to be putting more than 3 lengths between you and a G3/Listed performer in Premio Loco.

I feel Canford Cliffs must improve to beat Goldikova cause I think Goldikova would have won this easily too. Although on that performance he does have something left to improve on.

Shame about RVW though he looks a shadow of what he was able to achieve last year.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

After looking at replays of the race a good few times, the only word I can use to describe the inclusion of a pacemaker for RVW is ‘pointless’.

AOB said before the race that he’d come on for the run once more, which not only reads to me like he wasn’t

expected

to win, but would also imply that the jockeys orders were not to go

all out

for the win too, which is how it appeared.

The pacemaker was ignored when it mattered most, in the first half of the race, meaning the pace only looked medium overall. RVW showed a rare turn of foot for one that was still well short, and wasn’t made to grind for too long – certainly not long enough if he were to run the finish out of CC. Exactly what

was

the plan?

AOB, RVW and Ryan Moore certainly could have made things more difficult in hindsight, IMO, and I’d of liked to see if CC could of quickened off a brutally run mile at Goodwood. :|

Great post, on him for the breeders cup classic and fingers crossed the international at York!

del_boy
    • Total Posts 386

personally i dont think rvw will be in the first three in this years breeders cup classic if running.

jose1993
    • Total Posts 1228

Great post, on him for the breeders cup classic and fingers crossed the international at York!

No hope in the first one at the very least.

• Total Posts 1415

Hughes makes it look easier than it is Canford Cliffs was at full pelt and struggling a furlong out. The Rip blew up a little, had he not it would’ve been a right head bobber because Canford had it won half a furlong out. Had Rip been that bit sharper he may have just held on.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Cape Blanco is the first choice for the International, RVW is done I think unless he finds his old form.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Cape Blanco is the first choice for the International, RVW is done I think unless he finds his old form.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Amazing how easily Canford Cliffs travelled in this race. From the side on in the first half of the race if you didn’t have the others around him you could swear he was having an excersice canter.

Perhaps I shouldn’t have asked for a comparison. At this time Canford Cliffs is every bit as good at what he does as what Sea the Stars was at what he did.

He’s now won 3 Group 1’s on the trot and each time it looks to be getting easier.

There can be very little doubt Rip Van Winkle will improve a bit, but not nearly enough to beat this horse. He’s run very close to his best there unless you ignore
    the finishing positions of 2 very consistant horses in Dreameater and P Loco. There previous runs make this is top drawer form and puts Canford Cliffs bang up there with Goldikova.

I sincerly doubt if Rip Van Winkle has the kick, even at his very best, to see off Canford Cliffs and I would find a clash with Goldikova much more interesting. I’d be pretty confident Canford could do what Paco Boy couldn’t.

Sadly that’s very unlikely unless both turn up for the QEII but with a stud deal being sought it would make very little sense to gamble with CC’s reputation and I there hasn’t even been a hint of Richard Hannon sending him to the USA.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33017

Mark’s books aren’t pointless, Fist. Far from it. They provide an insight in to the way he thinks and create a foundation on which to build a betting strategy. You mustn’t confuse ‘pointless’ with ‘I don’t want to read that’ and you mustn’t confuse ‘I don’t want to read that’ with ‘nobody wants to read that’

Thanks AJ,

Fist,
    Thought about responding in kind, but don’t want another thread deteriorating in to a slanging match. If you’ve got stuff like that to say, may be the TRF thread would be the best place.

No problem you having an opinion about the way I bet, just don’t appreciate being called a liar.

Anyway, back to more important matters.
    Am a great fan of Canford Cliffs, have been since the Coventry. But he’s got 8 to 10 lbs to be Sea The Stars class. Is improving though.
    The way the race was run flattered Rip Van Winkle, but I’d say from paddock inspection he just needed it (I’m no expert). With expected improvement from the runner up as well as Canford Cliffs, a rematch and / or with Goldicova is certainly a mouth watering prospect.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2041

Its always wonderful to see such sheer class; CC never seemed to be under any stress. Having said that, RVW is obviously improving, so if they meet again, I’d be unceratin at the outcome. But since he stays, RVW probably has bigger fish to fry at 10 and 12 furlongs

Participant
    • Total Posts 4691

The QE2…

Paco Boy
    Goldikova
    Rip Van Winkle
    Dick Turpin
    Canford Cliffs

Not bad, eh? ;)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

The QE2…

Paco Boy
    Goldikova
    Rip Van Winkle
    Dick Turpin
    Canford Cliffs

Not bad, eh? ;)

Order your tickets now!

Thats a race for the generations

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

The QE2…

Paco Boy
    Goldikova
    Rip Van Winkle
    Dick Turpin
    Canford Cliffs

Not bad, eh? ;)

Paco Boy, please.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Hannon doesn’t like Canford Cliffs and Dick Turpin meeting

I’m sure he wouldn’t like to add in Paco Boy

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

I must say I am somewhat concerned with Aidan’s response following the race.We are like halfway through the season and he is talking about his horse ie Rip van Winkle, not being at his peak yet.Surely his job is to get them to their peak for the classics or at least for Ascot. But at Goodwood and still talking that stuff is somewhat disconcerting to me at least.The season will be over before he has them ready at this rate.RVW did not look reasdy to run for his life.They seemed to be coming along nicely leading up to the Derby,and they ran OK in the irish Derby so what is this talk about?Am I reading too much into it? Incidentally his 2yos are being consistently beaten at money on prices in Ireland. Anyone notice it? I won’t use the "B" word.

Viewing 17 posts - 52 through 68 (of 91 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.