The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Supreme Novices 2013

Home Forums Archive Topics Supreme Novices 2013

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 189 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 32975

I agree Stilvi, it’d be great to see MTOY in the Champion.

Wouldn’t put too much emphasis on the loss to Chatterbox. I was there that day. Held up and pulling for his head in a race run at a funereal gallop. As you say Stilvi, given an awful lot to do by AP. BG caught him knapping as Chatterbox went for home. AP is an entirely different jockey when riding for his Boss JP. It seems he’s always got to win as easily as possible; sometimes that backfires. May be JP thinks the greater chance of losing is worth the advantage of not showing his hand to the handicapper in future races. :wink: At the time of that run MTOY had many possible targets; including the Betfair and County Handicaps, just as much as Supreme.

Value Is Everything
    RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Chatterbox will not run at Cheltenham, they are waiting for Aintree I think.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

Does it worry anyone the type of horse Henderson has got beaten in the Supreme,last year Darlan,’11 sprinters Sacre,’10 Oscar Whiskey and in ’08 Binocular?

Add to that the Mare who went off a red hot Fav in 2007 and looked like she’d hose in coming round the turn.

She was bumped into coming over the second last. Did well to place considering that and the injury.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

JP already has Jetzki who’d be a shortish priced fav without My Tent Or Yours in the Supreme. Henderson has River Maigue and Chatterbox.

In the Champion, Binocular doesn’t look the same horse he was a couple of years ago (inconsistent too). Whenever he’s in form you can see it in the market. They don’t fancy him yet, although that could change nearer the race. Grandouet is also under a cloud at the moment and fragile.

MTOY now has form not far short of Champion Class and improving rapidly, wouldn’t surprise me if he turns up in the Big One.

Binocular was catching the leaders until the final flight last year. He’s been given a special preparation

There’s no way MTOY runs in the Champion, especially so soon after the loss of Darlan.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Worth noting that forgotten 2011 Champion Bumper winner Cheltenian runs next Tuesday as a prep for the Supreme Novices, Michael Nolan rode him on Sunday round Exeter and sounded very confident he will be at the Festival bar a terrible run next week.

Round 60’s on Betfair for both Novice hurdles he is entered in.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

Is Mullins bringing Annie Power over ? Been running her at 2 but sounds as if he thinks she needs further

after the last race she ran Mullins says she stays home.

couteau
    Participant
    • Total Posts 83

Cheers for the head’s up on Cheltenian, RedRiot.

Managed to get a few quid on @100s. Big ask but if he has a successful comeback run and shows himself in rude health then you never know.

Big if though, although at 100s it’s worth a speculative punt.

RedRiot
    • Total Posts 870

I’d back him for the Neptune too didnt he say he was considering running him in the Albert Bartltt when he won in 2011? Not entered for the AB though.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

I’ve backed two, Waaheb at 12/1 and My Tent or Yours at 25/1. JP likes to have runners in this, and although both finished second in the week, will be better on good ground. Would back them both again, depending how the darts goes!

Portfolio looking good.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32975

There’s no way MTOY runs in the Champion, especially so soon after the loss of Darlan.

Loss of Darlan could encourage connections to run in the big one Mark.

JP does not have a Champion Hurdle horse with a good chance of winning (Binny is double figures).

The more horses running in a race at the Festival, the more danger. There will be fewer runners in the Champion.

Death or injury can occur at any point in a career. Form of MTOY’s Betfair hurdle and the fact he’s rapidly improving – gives him a second favourite’s chance in the Champion. He’s 9/2 nrnb at the moment and (if running) I’d expect him to start no bigger than 3/1…

If connections don’t go for it this time around, a year is a long time in racing. MTOY may not be in the same form in 2014.

Both Make A Stand and Alderbrook won the Champion as "Novices" and could not repeat it the following year. Former victorious after winning the same Betfair/Tote Gold Trophy as My Tent Or Yours.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

JP does not have a Champion Hurdle horse with a good chance of winning (Binny is double figures).

The more horses running in a race at the Festival, the more danger. There will be fewer runners in the Champion.

Death or injury can occur at any point in a career. Form of MTOY’s Betfair hurdle and the fact he’s rapidly improving – gives him a second favourite’s chance in the Champion. He’s 9/2 nrnb at the moment and (if running) I’d expect him to start no bigger than 3/1…

If connections don’t go for it this time around, a year is a long time in racing. MTOY may not be in the same form in 2014.

Both Make A Stand and Alderbrook won the Champion as "Novices" and could not repeat it the following year. Former victorious after winning the same Betfair/Tote Gold Trophy as My Tent Or Yours.

They’ll stick with Binocular, who still has a chance on decent ground

MTOY is not as good as Darlan was.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

They’ll stick with Binocular, who still has a chance on decent ground

MTOY is not as good as Darlan was.

I am assuming you are not privy to JP’s discussions so as it stands he might run, he might not, anything beyond that is pure speculation.

Nobody knows the limit of what My Tent Or Yours may or may not achieve. Sadly, it really doesn’t matter whether he is currently as good as Darlan.

harvey2000
    • Total Posts 133

With Henderson’s handling of Captain Conan last year, bypassing Cheltenham as he thought it was too soon for the horse, surely the Champion hurdle would be too soon for My Tent Or Yours? Why overface a novice, albeit after a mightily impressive performance, when it could run a big race against fellow novices. He hasn’t had a bombproof season by any means, it’s not like he has won every race on the bridle.
    As good as he looked last time, he has still been beaten by his stablemate Chatterbox, who may not even run at the festival, as I read somehwere, the trainer thinks that one might not be ready for it this year.

• Total Posts 5

Henderson on MTOY…(Sky Sports)

"I think we’ll take the recognised path rather than being too ambitious. If he’s that good he’ll win a Champion Hurdle another day."

All I can say is phew (on at 20’s) although of course he has been known to change his mind…!

clivexx
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2702

There’s been on some forums and amongst commentators some strange knocking of MTOY s superlative performance last week, along the lines of " race was run to suit " (was it?) and all the others ran below form (how many is that? Come off it)

What you see is what you get a lot of the time and it’s hard to think of a better performance and prep than beating seasoned handicappers out of sight

Punters sometimes like to believe they have seen something that is not face value and thus prove that they are a little cleverer than they are.

The horse doesn’t settle easily so the supreme should be run the right way and he’s not exactly going to regress at this stage of his career. He’s got to be the one even at cramped odds.

jmfitz
    Participant
    • Total Posts 23

Guys any thoughts on New Years Eve? Turned over at odds on midweek but will surely be a better horse on better ground. Ran a good second in ChBumper last year. Trading at >150s on BF. Surely some value there me thinks.

Couldn’t back MTOY at those short prices.

Can’t see that Dodging Bullets has done much wrong and at 14s with 2XC&D wins and a decent run behind Darlan at Christmas is my horse for the race.

• Total Posts 1217

I’d be amazed if NYE was good enough to win.

River Maigue ran a decent race today. Agree that MTOY is short, think his Betfair win is a bit overrated.

Viewing 17 posts - 103 through 119 (of 189 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.