The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Supreme Novices 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Supreme Novices 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 225 total)
  • Author
    Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Martin, you must try and cure yourself of this obsession with everything French. :D :D

Colin

Je Ne Comprends Pas Colin :wink:

ps. Don’t look at my new topic in "Big Race Discussions"

• Total Posts 2184

Hurricane Fly is Irish bred and now Irish trained. We can’t have the French claiming the new Istabraq!! :lol:

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

The formative years where spent in France IC

Ironically whilst the French-bred’s and ex-French horses mop up all and sundry this side of the channel the top staying chaser in France is Irish-bred (by Insatiable) :wink:

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Hurricane Fly is Irish bred and now Irish trained. We can’t have the French claiming the new Istabraq!! :lol:

Now you’e done it :lol: I detect hints of Fist of Fury here and we all know how he gets carried away. :wink:

He is alovely horse though but my slight worry is what has he actually beat?

He’s done it it good style granted but he doesn’t give me the same vibes Binocular did, who is a much more compact type like Istabraq was and a less flashier type than HF’

His first of his last 2 wins was run to suit him….coming of a pace set by his stable companon. Both the second and third have won very moderate races since which doesn’t boost the form too much.

In the second the obvious danger DP was tailed off after a bad mistake makng it much easier for him.

Mind you I have yet to see a more impressive novice this season and I have backed him for the Supreme, but the next Istabraq?

I think enjoy him while you can, he could well win the Supreme but he doesn’t look he type who has the scope to be a future Champion Hurdle horse to me. He looks great against horses inferior to him but a bit too flashy for my liking. His type very seldom train on or turn out to be good enough when they step up from Novice to big time.

Just my opinion though and as I am staying home and the TV is crap I thought it would be a good idea to wind you up about your favourite horse :lol:

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Fists – we regularly see the French-breds come over and beat our horses out of site.

Mullins has been trying to beat them for a few years now – with the likes of Cooldine, Rule Supreme, Glencove Marina yet none have been able to do it. He’s now got one (arguably two) who can handle themselves at the top level in France (the runner-up rattled off a 4 timer recently at Cagnes-Sur-Mer) whilst the beaten horses in his final French run have gone on to frank the form.

Without wanting to get into too much of an argument – it’s good to see a British horse beating the French for a change rather than vice-versa.

He might well be a flash in the pan (personally I think he’s the real deal and they won’t see where he goes whichever novice race he tackles at Cheltenham).

You don’t get the vibes you got about Binocular because you’d backed Benny at 33’s prior to him running :wink:

• Total Posts 2184

Was very much a tongue in cheek comment Fists!

I’m very much hoping he goes the Istabraq route and wins the Ballymore rather than the Supreme but Cousin Vinny’s entry in a 2m4 race at Punchestown on Saturday may suggest that he’ll be the one going for the longer race.

I’m still not convinced that HF would beat CV if they met over two miles now. I know the Royal Bond form may be a bit suspect given the crawl it was run at but it was CV’s first run over hurdles and he was giving HF 3lbs. The betting told everyone that HF was much fitter and he still only beat CV a few lengths.

I would send HF to the longer race given that he’s already won over the trip but I am talking through my pocket! :wink:

Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

He’s certainly not a talking horse – the form is there in the book and rock solid, you’ve seen what he does to his rivals. The Hurricane is an absolute machine and they won’t see which way he goes at Cheltenham whichever race they go for.

IRISH,
    We both agree that the "Hurricane" will blow the opposition away
    at Cheltenham, but where as i am 100% convinced this horse is a 2m
    Supreme candidate, you seem to think that 21/2m will suit him just the same! The 2m race is for the speedier type which he has plenty! the 21/2m
    race is for the staying sort a bit like "Diamond Harry"! "Cousin Vinny"
    in my opinion has more chance of staying 21/2m far more than the "Hurricane" i wouldn"t be anywhere near as confident of him winning the 21/2m race as his stamina is questionable! "Diamond" wouldn"t live with him over 2m but he could outstay him over 21/2m!

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3176

Hurricane has already won a few times over 2 1/2m. I’d have no problems with the trip either way, my only preference is that I have a bigger price on the Ballymore than the Supreme :wink:

johnjdonoghue
    • Total Posts 994

He’s certainly not a talking horse – the form is there in the book and rock solid, you’ve seen what he does to his rivals. The Hurricane is an absolute machine and they won’t see which way he goes at Cheltenham whichever race they go for.

IRISH,
    We both agree that the "Hurricane" will blow the opposition away
    at Cheltenham, but where as i am 100% convinced this horse is a 2m
    Supreme candidate, you seem to think that 21/2m will suit him just the same! The 2m race is for the speedier type which he has plenty! the 21/2m
    race is for the staying sort a bit like "Diamond Harry"! "Cousin Vinny"
    in my opinion has more chance of staying 21/2m far more than the "Hurricane" i wouldn"t be anywhere near as confident of him winning the 21/2m race as his stamina is questionable! "Diamond" wouldn"t live with him over 2m but he could outstay him over 21/2m!

GWILSON,

Maybe some horses are so damn good they can stay and still drop back in trip. The lessons of two past Sun Alliance novice hurdle winners will tell you that, Istabraq and Hardy Eustace, both multiple winners of the Champion Hurdle.

John.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Fists – we regularly see the French-breds come over and beat our horses out of site.

Mullins has been trying to beat them for a few years now – with the likes of Cooldine, Rule Supreme, Glencove Marina yet none have been able to do it. He’s now got one (arguably two) who can handle themselves at the top level in France (the runner-up rattled off a 4 timer recently at Cagnes-Sur-Mer) whilst the beaten horses in his final French run have gone on to frank the form.

Without wanting to get into too much of an argument – it’s good to see a British horse beating the French for a change rather than vice-versa.

He might well be a flash in the pan (personally I think he’s the real deal and they won’t see where he goes whichever novice race he tackles at
    Cheltenham).

You don’t get the vibes you got about Binocular because you’d backed Benny at 33’s prior to him running :wink:

Geez now I got 33/1 :lol:

I got vibes from Binny the first time I saw him at Ascot which is well documeted on here……….wall it luck or was it skill? damned if i know :lol:

You are of course correct this looks a real good crop. It also makes a nice change that the Irish have made the English sit up and take notice for a change. Year after year we had English trained horses being touted about and the bookies had some home grown would be champion installed as fav. It was like the Irish didn’t exist (I’m as guilty as anyone) Come the day the reality of the situation hit hard and before we knew what had hit us the Irish had won the first 2 or 3 races.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Was very much a tongue in cheek comment Fists!

I’m very much hoping he goes the Istabraq route and wins the Ballymore rather than the Supreme but Cousin Vinny’s entry in a 2m4 race at Punchestown on Saturday may suggest that he’ll be the one going for the longer race.

I’m still not convinced that HF would beat CV if they met over two miles now. I know the Royal Bond form may be a bit suspect given the crawl it was run at but it was CV’s first run over hurdles and he was giving HF 3lbs. The betting told everyone that HF was much fitter and he still only beat CV a few lengths.

I would send HF to the longer race given that he’s already won over the trip but I am talking through my pocket! :wink:

To be sure you’d be right about that!

CV huh! now this is what I have always suspected would happen. I’m not a CV fan and no matter how unfit he was first time up I got the impression Hurricane Fly is simply a much better horse than him.

He certainly has more toe than CV who may well have a better chance of success over the longer trip thanin the Supreme.

BUT the fact is he remains fav with most bookmakers(low as 7/2) and only Corals quote him for the Balmore….I suspect Corals 5/1 think he wont run in the Supreme and I suspect they are right

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 158

micheal flips will win the supreme novices ap macoy is wanting to ride the horse and it will run. i know the owner has put £350 win on it at 25/1.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 158

micheal flips has been cut into 16/1 with ladbrokes. providing jonjo doesnt have a runner in the race then mcCoy is booked to ride him. he is def gonna run providing nothing goes wrong, touch wood.

• Total Posts 2184

kj, McManus has a horse called Bob Lingo with Tom Mullins who was being touted as a Supreme Novices hope earlier on in the season. He hasn’t been seen since being turned over at odds on in November in the race that Captain Cee Bee won before going to Cheltenham.

I don’t know if the Supreme Novices is still on his agenda (he’s 33/1 with Bet365 and 25/1 with Betfred – not quoted anywhere else) but if he did turn up on the day I presume JP would want McCoy to ride.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 158

kj, McManus has a horse called Bob Lingo with Tom Mullins who was being touted as a Supreme Novices hope earlier on in the season. He hasn’t been seen since being turned over at odds on in November in the race that Captain Cee Bee won before going to Cheltenham.

I don’t know if the Supreme Novices is still on his agenda (he’s 33/1 with Bet365 and 25/1 with Betfred – not quoted anywhere else) but if he did turn up on the day I presume JP would want McCoy to ride.

mcCoy will ride micheal flips if jonjo oneil doesnt have a runner. he is only retained to ride his horses so if he doesnt have a declared runner then he will ride this horse as first choice as he thinks a very lot of it.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

KJ, his retainer is with Mcmanus not O’Neill.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

My unerstanding was that Clay Hollister was AP’s mount in the Supreme if Sunnyhillboy (Tote entry) wasn’t going to run, but after his disappointing performance on Saturday I suppose they might not send him.

Micheal Flips looks a hard horse to access. He looked the buisiness at Stratford and you could have hung your washing on his reins coming up the home straight.

At Kempton he made a mistake at the second last and was beaten quite easily which I thought was down tothe course being a bit too sharp but he scooshed in on the same track last time out.

There was more cut in the ground when hewas beaten and it could be he is much better suited by a fastish surface. He could like or dislike the stiffer track at the Festival, 300 ew is hardly an encouraging amount and if Hurricane Fly turns up he has one very good horse to beat.

Looks a really nice sort though with a big future and a big enough priceto justify a second bet if you have backed HF

Viewing 17 posts - 69 through 85 (of 225 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.