The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Supreme Novices 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Supreme Novices 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 225 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

13 pages of postings and practically no mention of the certain-to-be 2nd fav, bar the one opinion that he’ll have too much speed. Although to be fair most people would have considered him to be aimed at the Triumph I guess.

Personally, I think he’ll have no problems whatsoever staying on up the hill and will love the likely soft ground.

Unoriginal I know but I don’t bet A.P and now have this as a straight shoot-out between the front two in the betting.

As a 4 year old who hadn’t ran untill last year Torphichen’s still open to plenty of improvement, although granted the same could be said of a lot of the runners and the 6/1 is just enough to tempt me into thinking that Cousin Vinny’s jumping may end up costing him too many lengths.

The 4 yr old stat is a slight concern but the last 4 yr old I backed in the race won when trained by the father.

Lee

• Total Posts 2440

It seems that Willie Mullins isn’t too pleased with the way Cousin Vinny has travelled over.

Stated that the horse didn’t eat up the other night or the following morning.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Torpichen I’d be fairly certain wont get up the hill like some of the others will, as a sure to be second favorite I’d be fairly confident that he wont even place. Worth a chance at aintree if the ground is good. I’d be fairly certain the bookies are already counting any money placed on him.

Bully, correct me if i’m wrong but weren’t you or aren’t you pretty sweet on Hebridean and therefore over-rating Ainama’s debut? Cousin Vinny’s debut third in a grade 1 where he was done for toe and experience is much better form. I think he probably deserves to be favourite in the absence of his stablemate but my assertion was that Ainama should not be favourite on any form. His price therefore must make some appeal for you!!

It wasnt so much that he beat hebridean (ever since his debut defeat Ive thought hebridean has looked like one for aintree), as that was on soft ground and Hebridean IMO can be run out of a soft ground 2miler, but that was a pretty decent performance on soft ground nevertheless. Then at kempton, before the dovecote I said that didnt think he’d win as was encountering different conditiomns and hebnderson doesnt usually have them fullly fired up for prep races, and shouldnt have been favorite that day. The ground was good (possibly even better than that) and he didnt look happy on it, made plenty of mistakes and still almost won (it was a combination of ideal ground conditions for trenchant and a brilliant ride from thorton that beat him IMO). It was after watching that race that I thought to myself, that is the one they have to beat at cheltenham.

IMO cousin vinny just hasnt looked like a supreme novice winner on every thing he’s done this season, I would rule him out of a place but find it extremely hard to see him winning and at his price your backing him for a win. Not only that but I also think that he is the Mullins third string behind hurricane fly and Kempes, interesting also that after HFs defection, Walsh opted for Kempes, who won how he liked last time out and has had plenty of money since.

It seems that Willie Mullins isn’t too pleased with the way Cousin Vinny has travelled over.

Stated that the horse didn’t eat up the other night or the following morning.

The wheels are starting to turn towards his defeat IMO

I make Ainama, Kempes and Copper Bleu very strong orders in this. With Micheal Flips, Golan Way and Aachen looking like the biggest dangers. I also think that if the ground was good red moloney should have been favorite.

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I had been toying with Vinny but i’m going to leave him. You’ll see on the thread i’ve started that I was on Red Moloney and Michael Flips antepost.

I still don’t think Ainama has the form to be favourite. It is an open race though.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

If the ground isn’t any worse than good-to-soft, Red Moloney will go extremely close (I’ve backed him at everything from 33/1 into the current 14/1).

KendalCavalier
    Participant
    • Total Posts 412

Well, I am expecting a big run from Shoreacres tomorrow and of course how he does could prove a big pointer to Carole’s Legacy in the last.

Strangely Shoreacres best form has come on good ground but his sire’s progeny more often than not show a preference for softish ground, which we should have tomorrow and will inconvenience him less than some others. He’s a lot better than his current rating suggests so although on official figures he has quite a bit to find with some of the leading contenders I personally believe he is a 150’s horse. Bear in mind he finished only 9l behind Cousin Vinny in last year’s bumper and this after he met a lot of trouble in running.

He’s a very silly price on Betfair and I can definitely see him running on into a place.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Shoreacres? don’t do this to me KC; I can’t possibly have any more bets in this race..or can I???….

batman
    • Total Posts 489

now that cousin vinny has not travelled over well it’s red maloney for me even if it rains it’s the 1st race so he might still get decent ground as it was very windy at cheltenham so no doubt ground was drying out alll day

• Total Posts 326

now that cousin vinny has not travelled over well it’s red maloney for me even if it rains it’s the 1st race so he might still get decent ground as it was very windy at cheltenham so no doubt ground was drying out alll day

Trouble is looks like its pi**ing down all night :(

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Mick Fitz said on Radio 5 Live that there’s no problem with Cousin Vinny at all……

Participant
    • Total Posts 32970

Am worried about the rumours about Cousin Vinny as I’m already on. Have now saved on Kempes, Go Native and Torphichen. Don’t like Red Moloney as he’s won a few easy races at Carlisle. Probably kept to that grade as he was a bit of a dog on the flat. Finds nowt. Don’t subscribe to the view he needs a sound surface as the Irish St Leger 3rd was on a soft surface.

Mark

Value Is Everything
    PaleRider
    • Total Posts 52

Am worried about the rumours about Cousin Vinny as I’m already on. Have now saved on Kempes, Go Native and Torphichen. Don’t like Red Moloney as he’s won a few easy races at Carlisle. Probably kept to that grade as he was a bit of a dog on the flat. Finds nowt. Don’t subscribe to the view he needs a sound surface as the Irish St Leger 3rd was on a soft surface.

Mark

Dont worry ginger, Vinny dont mind rain ,if hes ok and hes ate up ,he will take the world of beating !

Good luck mate :)

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Looks like Aachen doesn’t go – a marker that the ground perhaps isn’t as soft as was predicted?

Participant
    • Total Posts 192

Looks like Aachen doesn’t go

And so the dissapointment begins.

MCFC Stan
    • Total Posts 377

Don’t like viny and his bumper win last year is not holding up too well. Michael Flips impressed at Kempton and while hedidn’t beatmuch, there is likely to be plenty moreto come from him and yard are quiote hopeful. Red Moloney is big danger, but NH horses have better record in this than ex flat so that is littleoff putting.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5228

I can only imagine Aachen has been pulled out due to a problem with the horse – can anyone confirm? It would be ridiculous to think he is not running because of unsuitable ground.

Participant
    • Total Posts 192

I can only imagine Aachen has been pulled out due to a problem with the horse – can anyone confirm? It would be ridiculous to think he is not running because of unsuitable ground.

Yep…. it’s the ground.

Viewing 17 posts - 188 through 204 (of 225 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.