The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Supreme Novices 2009

Home Forums Archive Topics Supreme Novices 2009

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 225 total)
  • Author
    batman
    • Total Posts 489

I think this could be a great race as per usual there is loads of exciting young un’s, i am looking forward to Zaarito running as Colm murphy seems to have his top hurdlers well trained and knowing their job…My cousin Vinny and Big Eared fran are others i am looking forward to…

PaulNichollsAteMyHorse
    • Total Posts 15

If Vinny jumps he wins easily, got more gear than any of them and as I said, if he jumps he could be the Champion Hurdle champion 2010.

Yep, he seems THAT highly rated.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

Cousin Vinny is the obvious one, but I’ll field against him with Willie Mullins’ Hurricane Fly, who was very impressive when winning at Punchestown in May, and looks to have the necessary combination of speed and stamina required for the race.

BetFair prices would tend to indicate that the Ballymore is a more likely target for Hurricane Fly, but I’m not convinced (have backed the horse in both races though, just in case).

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Vinny emphaised how good he is by winning at Cheltenham and folloing it up with an easy win at Punchestown. On aline through Corskeagh Royale you could argue he improved after Cheltenham but NH flat form can be very unreliable.

At Cheltenham Zaarito was all the rage but coun’t match Cousin Vinny for pace but was that down to the shear class of CV was it just too much to ask of Zaarito at that stage of his career. Despite being 6 years old I thought he looked very green and would like to see the two clash again before saying what is what.

Of all the races at Cheltenham the Supreme for me is the toughest to call at such an early time. Who knows what Nicky Henderson or Alan King might pull out their magic bags of tricks.

There simply isn’t enough to go on. Vinny is there to be shot at IMO He lloks the part but until he does it over 8 flights of hurdles I will be keeping my hand firmly on my wallet.

batman
    • Total Posts 489

after the way things have gone for Cork All Star, i will wait a couple of races before making any real judgement on any of them but looks like bar injury a good running of it…..

Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

I’d be surprised if many of the runners in the 2009 Supreme Novice actually came from the Champion Bumper, especially if the going is good or faster.

Fist of Fury 2k8
    • Total Posts 2930

Mick Fitgerald had some very good words to say about Mad Max. He reckons he is a seriously good horse who will make a very good hurdler That 25/1 available certainly won’t be there after his seasonal debut.

With Nicky Henderson’s Cheltenham record being second to none he has got to be worth an AP bet as there aren’t many better judges than Fitz.

I never saw the ace but he absoluely stuffed. PN’s The Nightingale who one very easily in his only other outing. The Nightingale looked a certainty when coming down in his seasonal debute over hurdles and is obviously quite useful.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

I’ve backed Mad Max at a high of 32, but for the Ballymore rather than the Supreme Novices. He is a big bull of a horse, and will definitely be better suited by longer trips when sent over hurdles, imo.

• Total Posts 14

I have backed (small punt) Shoreacres after his win yesterday – he is 33-1 and a really nice horse. The trainer seems to think he is one of his best.

I am a big fan of Mad Max and his half sister Carole’s Legacy who was beaten yesterday by Shoreacres,but on breeding she should be better of further than the bare 2m.

I like the look of Cousin Vinnie, but at this stage do not consider 6-1 value, although I am sure the Irish will back him into a very short price if he makes it on the day.

trackside528
    • Total Posts 137

I’d be surprised if many of the runners in the 2009 Supreme Novice actually came from the Champion Bumper, especially if the going is good or faster.

I would imagine the first three home will all have the Supreme Novice as their primary objective at the Festival, if indeed they make it to March.

Outside of the first three, there was relatively little strength in depth in last year’s bumper, and I would be surprised if any of the others made an impact in any of the novice hurdles at the Festival.

• Total Posts 2440

Could possibly add Adacamy Sir Harry to the Supreme Novices field, just won at Navan at 9/4.

Stuck on very gamely indeed, didnt look good when he was in 3rd with 2 flights to take and was off the bridle, but picked up well for Barry Geraghty and kept going well until the line.

• Total Posts 2184

Was probably the best novice hurdle ran so far in Ireland this year Gaz. Stayed on really gamely and Navan would be considered to be the most similar of the Irish tracks in terms of configuration to Cheltenham, with its stiff uphill finish. His third in the Champion Bumper at Punchestown reads very well and I wouldn’t put you off him.

One note of caution though, he was getting 4lbs from Fisher Bridge and he drifted like a barge in the betting before the off. We should know a lot more after the Royal Bond today three weeks.

• Total Posts 2440

Was probably the best novice hurdle ran so far in Ireland this year Gaz. Stayed on really gamely and Navan would be considered to be the most similar of the Irish tracks in terms of configuration to Cheltenham, with its stiff uphill finish. His third in the Champion Bumper at Punchestown reads very well and I wouldn’t put you off him.

One note of caution though, he was getting 4lbs from Fisher Bridge and he drifted like a barge in the betting before the off. We should know a lot more after the Royal Bond today three weeks.

Thank you again my friend.

Navan does seem to have similarities to Cheltenham, especially the finish like you say. He did seem to stay on gamely though, although, like you say, recieving weight from Fisher Bridge.

Will see how he gets on in the Royal Bond.

Bulwark
    • Total Posts 3119

Have had a little go on American Trilogy of Nicholls who is due to run in the Grade 2 Novice hurdle at cheltenham on Friday, he has to give weight away to much of the field but think he looks a decent supreme novice type @ 20-1.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9300

Wouldn’t normally have an ante post on a race like the Supreme so early in the season, but I’m also having a small bet on American Trilogy before Friday, along with Ashkazar for the Champion [even though there is a bit of a doubt about him running in it,] and Petitfour in the Stayers. Prices are too good to miss! ..so thats put the moccas on those three unfortunately….

• Total Posts 2184

Zaarito has his first run over the sticks in the 1:00 at Fairyhouse tomorrow. Should be interesting to see whether he’s filled out a bit over the summer. He looked a bit on the small side last year to my eyes but his bumper form reads very well. Had terrible luck in running at Cheltenham and still wasn’t beaten that far.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Karabak looks well up to scratch having beaten Mahonia in decisive fashion this afternoon, and the 20/1 about him looks fair (I wouldn’t have thought he’d go for the Ballymore).

His victory also reflects well on Mad Max who, whilst a touch shorter for the Supreme, will surely be raced over further.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 225 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.