The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Strong Flow

Home Forums Horse Racing Strong Flow

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    DannyDanny
    • Total Posts 790

STRONG FLOW, winner of the 2003 Hennessy Cognac Gold Cup as a novice and whose career was presumed ended by injury, could return to the big-race scene in next month’s Betfred Gold Cup after completing “a remarkable recoveryâ€ÂÂ

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

That’s great to hear. I always like it when injured horses come back.

I just hope he’s learned to jump…

Mully
    • Total Posts 156

What was wrong with his jumping?

FlatSeasonLoverFlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Danny sorry to be picky but could you give us a source for this please?

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Quote: from Mully on 11:15 pm on Mar. 20, 2007[br]What was wrong with his jumping?<br>

Every time I watched him (admittedly the Hennessey and the Feltham are the two that stick strongly in my mind), he didn’t jump a twig. It was the reason I didn’t think he’d win the GC that year.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

He was a pretty good jumper in the main, see his Aon run behind Farmer Jack when he jumped impeccably. However like you know who, he had the tendency to clout one or 2 on the way round.

racinggirlukracinggirluk
    • Total Posts 232

Sad to say this is true, the story is on the RP website…he is with Dessie Hughes in Ireland….

Guess the owner does not want him to have a lovely retirement….poor horse has been to hell and back, last thing he wants is a death in public….

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

racinggirl

You are talking absolute rubbish.

LetsGetRacing
    • Total Posts 1147

Talk about over dramatising, racinggirluk.

On what basis is such a ridiculous comment made?

DannyDanny
    • Total Posts 790

FSL – The story is off the Racing Post website.

Strong Flows jumping isn’t as bad as being made out he won a henessy, won the Feltham and was 6th in a gold cup if his jumping was that bad he would have fell in these races he might have hit a few fences but Kauto Star hits fences. I don’t see how it’s a bad thing taking a quality horse out of retirement if it’s injury free.

racinggirlukracinggirluk
    • Total Posts 232

Sorry for putting the welfare of this horse first…..he has had a serious leg injury and PN is no mug! If he wanted to retire this horse there must be a reason behind it…..

But everyone is entitled to there own opinion….I dont jump down your throats for making judgemental comments….so back off…but then you all seem to know better!

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1593

Let’s just hope he is injury-free. If he’s not 100% fine, his habitual clattering of a couple of fences in his races could do him some serious damage.

But please don’t get me wrong, I wish him and connections (but mostly him) all the best for his return.

Lingfield
    • Total Posts 919

Apparently the plan is to initially race him in a point to point or hunter chase which will confirm wellbeing and give some indication as to how much ability remains.<br>Is this the same owner who used to have other horses like useful two mile chaser Armaturk in training with Nicholls? In which case I thought he’d sold them all as the equine deaths and injuries in NH racing were distressing to him and his family? Hardly the actions of a man who doesn’t care about his horses.

(Edited by Lingfield at 2:29 pm on Mar. 21, 2007)

roryrory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2685

While Racinggirl’s comments are dramatic and possibly libellous to Barry Marshall, I do share her concerns; how anyone can tell what degree of recovery he has made is hard to gauge since he has only been back in training for a few weeks, during which time he has surely been doing very light work (unless he has undergone pre training elsewhere, but this hasn’t been mentioned). I would say that the chances of him breaking down must be quite high given his history. The fact that he was young enough to have a total break and come back for a career in PTPs but was retired instead suggests strongly that connections were virtually certain that he wouldn’t stand the rigours of training. Of course he was likely to make a satistactory enough recovery for a life away from the racetrack, but that doesn’t mean he is sound enough to race at the highest level.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

This story first broke around Christmas time that he was with Dessie Hughes so that would indicate how long pre-training he has had.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.