The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Starters Orders 3

Home Forums Horse Racing Starters Orders 3

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Chris B
    • Total Posts 145

Has anyone on this site played the Starters Orders games before?

I have got SO2 but SO3 is out in April and for the first time will contain jump racing as well as flat, inc Gold Cup and Grand National, can’t wait for this!

I got an email today with details, short video here..

http://www.strategicdesigns.co.uk/downl … romo1j.wmv

Tuffers
    • Total Posts 1402

I’m a veteran of SO and SO2 and it’s a great way to while away a few hours whilst the real life horses aren’t doing the business. I’ve gone onto their forum to suggest a couple of realism tweaks but SO3 is certainly on my shopping list for April

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

So if you buy this you’ll be able to ride round Cheltenham? Or is it a training game – Stablemasters etc? I’m unable to access the website at work as it seems to be classed as gambling.

I always enjoyed G1 Jockey but this would be something else…

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

So if you buy this you’ll be able to ride round Cheltenham? Or is it a training game – Stablemasters etc? I’m unable to access the website at work as it seems to be classed as gambling.

This is a management game basically Paul. You are the trainer, you buy horses, train them, run them – it’s all very realistic. They have all the real trainers and jockeys – all the real racecourses, and even the racing calendar is very similar to real life, with all the big races having their proper names and ran at the same time as in real life.

The handicapping is very good also – win by 5L hard held and you get put up 10lb, win by a length and you get put up 5lb etc. You can instruct your jockeys to ride hands and heels, you get done for non trying by the stewards – but you can plot your horse for that big handicap. Betting is very realistic with excellent books (with a realistic overround).

You can breed your horses, add visors, cheekpieces, geld them etc. All horses have their preferences for different tracks, ground and distances and if you run your horse on the wrong ground you will be found out. There’s all weather meetings, Dubai carnival, Breeders Cup, Melbourne Cup etc.

You can even hire an apprentice jockey, who starts off claiming 7lb on your horses. He gets better and loses his claim with the more winners he gets.

The form lines are very realistic with accurate comments in running. There is even sectional timing – god, it’s getting better than real life the more I write :lol:

Your jockey also gives you instructions after the race. Basically he tells you as it is. If your horse is good he will tell you and he will want to ride it again – if you’re is no good he will say so, or he will ever advise better different ground or a different trip.

I’m surprised you’ve never played Starters Orders or Starters Orders 2 – they are the most realistic horse racing games on the market for this type of game.

I will tell you more about it one day Paul :lol:

Mike

Chris B
    • Total Posts 145

From what I’ve read in the past from peoples reviews it’s the most realistic race horse management game out there, I got SO2 about 2 years back and loved it, but it just has flat racing, all the big races at the big meets feature though.

Fans of the game have wanted jump racing added and finally their wish has been granted, and yes the Gold Cup will feature, SO2 was 20 quid but I don’t know how much this will be, similar price I imagine, I’m really looking forward to it :D

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Sorry Chris,

I must have started typing the same time as you.

But Paul, I forgot to mention. All the above is just what’s on offer now. I can’t wait for the new version with the jumps – I hope it’s not a big let down.

Mike

PAULCS
    • Total Posts 529

Sounds great Mike/Chris.

I’ve never played the previous editions but I can remember reading a bit about it now I think. Is this the game where you can download it from the manufacturers website as well as buy it in CD ROM format?

Chris B
    • Total Posts 145

Sorry Chris,

I must have started typing the same time as you.

But Paul, I forgot to mention. All the above is just what’s on offer now. I can’t wait for the new version with the jumps – I hope it’s not a big let down.

Mike

Ha, I was about to reply saying your reply to Paul was much better than mine :lol:

You are correct with the purchase info Paul.

MikkyMo73
    • Total Posts 1789

Paul,

You used to be able to get it from computer shops, but the last few versions have been downloads only I believe. It’s much better that way in my opinion, especially as the support team were very quick and efficient when I got a new laptop and my ‘product key’ wouldn’t work.

Mike

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.