The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

St Leger 2013

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion St Leger 2013

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 57 total)
  • Author
    fivelongdays
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

With the top three in the Derby all looking like they’ll stay further, what’s the likelihood of them taking each other on again in September?

Will Coolmore want to give Ruler of the World the chance to be a double classic winner? Can Libertarian keep the Leger in Yorkshire? Is Galileo Rock going to bring it to the Wachman yard?

Will it go to a Filly for the first time in ages?

Or will it be a horse who didn’t make the Derby? Could Telescope or Kingsbarns grab the glory?

What do you think?

FLD

Twitter=@PGHenn

So don't run, just like the others always do

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

If Libertarian were mine it would be going to the Curragh, Ascot and then Longchamps in the autumn. Unraced at 2, nice easy start to the campaign so could well improve throughout the year.

I can see it loving the Curragh

• Total Posts 336

Wouldn’t be surprised if the Ballydoyle St.Leger horse is Leading Light rather than any of them who ran in the Derby

Hammy
    • Total Posts 516

If Mars runs I’ll be backing him. I’ve just checked and his price has dropped from 16’s to 12’s. I’m obviously not the only one who thinks he could be perfect for the oldest classic.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7869

Wouldn’t be surprised if the Ballydoyle St.Leger horse is Leading Light rather than any of them who ran in the Derby

Agree with you 100 percent i do.

Rcyetman
    • Total Posts 1

I doubt Ruler of the World will be anywhere near Town Moor on the day of the year’s final classic. As a Derby winner, Coolmore will now gear the rest of his career to creating a strong stallion prospect. After the Irish Derby, they will look to capture a Group I over 10 furlongs. With his pedigree, out of Galileo and a half to Duke of Marmalade he will prove a very attractive stallion prospect. That being said, I would expect him to remain in training at four, given that the Duke did his best work that season.

andyod
    • Total Posts 4012

When one consider SNA.It seems like Coolmore are using some of their older horses as flagships for the stud-farm.Would expect to see their best continue in training with such good stock down on the farm.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Steeler.

• Total Posts 20

I think Coolmore have changed their approach in recent years and while they remain first and foremost a stallion station, they have become far more sporting. They’d have never run the likes of Yeats or Fame And Glory in the Gold Cup a decade or so ago, horses like Galileo and High Chaparral never had Doncaster on their radar after their derby wins, but, given the market is fairly saturated, they are keeping horses in training longer and going for big races, not just trying to make every stallion prospect a 10f group 1 winner.
    I backed both the placed horses and think they’d been decent Leger types, but if they went to The Curragh, I don’t expect either to win. I think too much is made of Libertarian finishing strongly in regards to a stronger pace surely suiting him. The way I see it, a stronger gallop would’ve meant he was even more outpaced and while tactical speed is less important at The Curragh, the winner was idling and is equally unexposed and open to further improvement too. Whether he’d get an extra quarter mile is doubtful, but I thought he was a Leger horse the minute he won at Chester.

Participant
    • Total Posts 33015

I backed Libertarian @ 6/1 for the Leger. Expecting a "Yorkshire" trainer to go for it even if winning in Ireland. However, now bought by Godolphin and will be trained at Newmarket after the Irish Derby. Less likely to go to Donny now. :(

Value Is Everything
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Steeler.

I think Steeler is banned from racing until after the Leger so I’d save your cash.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4714

I backed Libertarian @ 6/1 for the Leger. Expecting a "Yorkshire" trainer to go for it even if winning in Ireland. However, now bought by Godolphin and will be trained at Newmarket after the Irish Derby. Less likely to go to Donny now. :(

Yeah; it’s not as though Godolphin have supported the Leger over the last twenty-odd years or anything.

• Total Posts 20

Yeah; it’s not as though Godolphin have supported the Leger over the last twenty-odd years or anything.

I was thinking that, didn’t Blue Bunting even go for it after her Guineas and Irish Oaks wins? I’m not the biggest Godolphin fan, but to be fair, they always give the Leger a real go.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Steeler.

I think Steeler is banned from racing until after the Leger so I’d save your cash.

Did he actually get a positive test?

Could see Leading Light making all.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2936

I’d like Godolphin to train some good horses instead of buying ones from smaller stables.

They’re like a Chelsea who finish 4th or 5th every year and win the odd league cup.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8241

Steeler.

Did he actually get a positive test?

Could see Leading Light making all.

Yes, Steeler was one of the seven additional ones who tested positive and he was banned for six months. I’ll lay you a 100/1 if you still want to back him :lol:

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2034

Was impressed by the filly Venus De Milo. Looks like she will stay all day.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 57 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.