The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Spring In My Step…

Home Forums Tipping and Research Daily Lays And Plays Spring In My Step…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    rich1985
    • Total Posts 1220

Seeing as it’s officially the first day of Spring and the sun is shining, I think I’ll start a thread with the aim of trying to pick a winner each day to start a holiday fund (here’s hoping!).

There’s a decent card at Haydock tomorrow, and one that takes the eye is the progressive BOLD SIR BRIAN. Was entered at Cheltenam last week, but has opted to run in this Class 2 Handicap instead, he faces some tough opposition in the form of Chance Du Roy but has the scope to belie his current Mark of 145. He was impressive LTO, is proven on the ground and promises to stay the 3m. Tiger O’Toole would’ve been interesting on faster ground, but I’ll side with BSB with Lucinda Russell in such good form.

1 pt win at 9/4 (at time of writing).

GDC
    • Total Posts 942

Rich: Good luck, you may wish to double him up with:

Gold Ingot 535 War (6/4 ish) who ran a race full of promise on his debut behind Royal Guardsman. Jockey was not at all hard on him and doesn’t have to improve to win this nicely 8)

rich1985
    • Total Posts 1220

Not the start I was looking for! Could only manage 5th behind the seasoned handicapper Chance Du Roy, maybe the weight burden told.

As for tomorrow, I’m intrigued of the booking of Harry Derham on HENRY HOOK in the
    4.20 at Chepstow. It’s his first ride away from the Nicholls yard as far as I’m aware, and his useful 7lb claim could help this horse who has found it tough of lace, but will be below his last winning mark and it’s interesting that 2 of his 3 wins have come when ridden by claimers. In a competitive race, he could have a shout.

1pt win at 16/1.

rich1985
    • Total Posts 1220

Rich: Good luck, you may wish to double him up with:

Gold Ingot 535 War (6/4 ish) who ran a race full of promise on his debut behind Royal Guardsman. Jockey was not at all hard on him and doesn’t have to improve to win this nicely 8)

Thanks GDC, both of our horses ran stinkers today, hoping for better tomorrow!

rich1985
    • Total Posts 1220

Not the start I was looking for! Could only manage 5th behind the seasoned handicapper Chance Du Roy, maybe the weight burden told.

As for tomorrow, I’m intrigued of the booking of Harry Derham on HENRY HOOK in the
    4.20 at Chepstow. It’s his first ride away from the Nicholls yard as far as I’m aware, and his useful 7lb claim could help this horse who has found it tough of lace, but will be below his last winning mark and it’s interesting that 2 of his 3 wins have come when ridden by claimers. In a competitive race, he could have a shout.

1pt win at 16/1.

Well HH was 16/1 last night on SL but is 11/2 now so will have to go with those odds…

rich1985
    • Total Posts 1220

Another tame effort unfortunately!

I’m going to put one up for tonight, APPLE BLOSSOM TIME at Kempton. An ex Irish horse, it ran an eyecayching race LTO when running on from the rear to finish 4th. Dane Oneill is booked for tonight and off the same mark can go close.

1pt win at 13/2.

rich1985
    • Total Posts 1220

The oddly titled Winter Derby’ is staged at the weekend and I’ve just looked at the runners, not too many take the eye really, those at the head of the Market are housed in the car park it seems! Premio Loco has to give 5lb here but will surely be in the first 3 given his class so is a solid each way bet, but I think the winner will come from either BLACK SPIRIT or SOORAH. BS is an AW virgin but has the form on turf to have a major shout, ran well FTO last year (sh second to Kings Gambit) and has a decent stall (6). Haggas, who does well at the start of the season, has SOORAH and arrives on the back of a win in Dubai last month (beating Man Of Action in the process). At 14/1 and 8/1 respectively, there could be some value here.

rich1985
    • Total Posts 1220

Another poor show I’m afraid there, obviously not one to have that much faith in!

I’m going to put up DEUTERONOMY tomorrow at Sedgefield as it’s now back on a fair mark and has ran a couple of decent races of late and a return to a longer trip may see him in a better light. Will confirm odds tomorrow.

rich1985
    • Total Posts 1220

Don’t think the ground is right for DEUTERONOMY, but I’ll stick with him nonetheless.

1pt win at 10/1.

I’ll also do AIMIGAYLE at Newbury as she has decent course form and will appreciate the fast going.

1pt win at 9/2.

rich1985
    • Total Posts 1220

Wow, bad week!

Onwards and upwards now. Saturday is a new day, and a bit of dutching may bear fruit. In the Winter Derby, I’m going 0.5pt on both Soorah and Black Spirit. At my local track Bangor Galaxy Rock looks one to take on as I believe this may be a prep run before a tilt at one of the April handicaps over fences, as are a lot of these, whereas Listen Boy and So Fine are progressive hurdlers who will appreciate the 3m. Another 0.5pt each.

Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 14083

Good luck with this thread Rich.

Contemplated Galaxy Rock tomorrow, totally agree, winner waiting to happen…..certainly at some point before the end of the season. Think there’ll be a few interesting ones to to take out of that race tomorrow.

KINGFISHER
    • Total Posts 1508

Rich,dont bet for bettings sake! This weeks racing has been poor you have to keep your powder dry in between big meetings like Cheltenham and Aintree and when you fancy one jump in with both feet! Tomorrow I reckon

Cai Shen

is a good thing I could have had 7/1 on him,I’m not even concerned about coming out the coffin box,he has a master Jockey on him and a trainer that can target a race! BUT I’m not having a bet in the race because its on the All Weather and I cant stand it! Discipline,easier said than done! Dont give up,when you put a winner up you will feel the weight of the world (TRF) lift from your shoulders! Good Luck!

rich1985
    • Total Posts 1220

Thanks VTC. I really like Maurice Linehan, think he will be top class in the future so it’s a very useful 7lb off GR. NTDs horses are slowly coming to hand (had a couple of winners of late) and it’s about time the Burroughs had a decent horse since Roll Along, and I hear Listen Boy has a bright future, and Jacob takes the ride (his first for the yard I believe).

I’m in it for the long run so not too disheartened about the -5, studying the form, trends and potential handicap blots will hopefully come show some profit soon!

rich1985
    • Total Posts 1220

Rich,dont bet for bettings sake! This weeks racing has been poor you have to keep your powder dry in between big meetings like Cheltenham and Aintree and when you fancy one jump in with both feet! Tomorrow I reckon

Cai Shen

is a good thing I could have had 7/1 on him,I’m not even concerned about coming out the coffin box,he has a master Jockey on him and a trainer that can target a race! BUT I’m not having a bet in the race because its on the All Weather and I cant stand it! Discipline,easier said than done! Dont give up,when you put a winner up you will feel the weight of the world (TRF) lift from your shoulders! Good Luck!

I know where you’re coming from KF but I firmly believe there are winners to be had on a daily basis, just need to find the right angle…Saturdays will be the main day of course! Cai Shen is trained by a true master but I do think BS and SOORAH will run big races.

rich1985
    • Total Posts 1220

Surely MON PARRAIN is no flash in the pan and can get back to winning ways after a tough year. A Mark of 150 is surely well within reach, and on good ground against inferior opposition 11/4 is a decent price. 2 pts win.

Incidentally in that race I don’t think we’ve seen the best of Quotica DES Poyans. Has been in woeful form of late, but will hopefully show better to tomorrow. Would be one to watch if he goes to Aintree.

rich1985
    • Total Posts 1220

I’ve lost count how many pts I’m down so far, I think it’s about -10, not a very good day yesterday, all my selections finished just outside the placings….don’t fancy anything today but will be fascinated to see how Twirl runs over in Ireland, could be a Guineas contender I feel.

I’m off for a few days this week so will return next Friday to see if my luck can change – keep the faith!

Lone Wolf
    • Total Posts 614

You’ve got the right idea. Don’t get too hung up on what loses. Just make sure that you have a better sized bet on the ones that go in. My other thread was full of smaller filler bets, but when push came to shove i got there. Pounds over points !

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.