The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Southwell – Bring On The Demolition Men

Home Forums Horse Racing Southwell – Bring On The Demolition Men

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    bettingboy
    • Total Posts 100

…racing on fibresand is painful to watch. If you squint it’s like seeing exhausted commandos snake-crawling through quicksand.

Grasshopper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2316

If you squint even more, you can just about make out the chase track.

You’re better off watching that with nothing running on it.

AndyCapp
    • Total Posts 5

I’m the odd one out then, I prefer the All Weather, so Southwell’s card was the only one of interest. One man’s meat and all that! :wink:

bettingboy
    • Total Posts 100

Worst track in Britain.

Painful to watch and an utter bore.
    The slow death of racing will continue apace while this is what’s on offer.

Ladbrokes diaries this year have football on the front – sign of the times…

jose1993
    • Total Posts 1228

Not when it’s added to the "Enjoy England" website’s list of attractions in Nottinghamshire once Racing For Change has got every racecourse in England added it won’t.

Prufrock
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2081

A theme seems to be developing.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3177

If you don’t like it just ignore it – nobody forces you to watch it.

It’s a unique track and brings something different to AW racing in the UK – plenty of people enjoy it.

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

Love the racing at Southwell. Max has it well sold as a must visit racecourse.

The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

If you don’t like it just ignore it – nobody forces you to watch it.

It’s a unique track and brings something different to AW racing in the UK – plenty of people enjoy it.

"Unique" is a polite way of putting it Irish,the best thing about Southwell is the drive there and back,a very pleasant half hour for myself across country,unlike the drive to Beverley,all bloody Motorway!I used to enjoy going to Southwell to watch Graham Bradley "part company" with his mount out in the country,he could always manage to fall off differently everytime!To this day "Jonlani" was his best performance!

The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

Love the racing at Southwell. Max has it well sold as a must visit racecourse.

The folk of South Well as they love to keep telling you when you call it Suthall,are a very Clique bunch,for some reason the town can be as cold a place in winter as i have seen,the last time i worked there the temp was -12 degrees,yes you can get a Frosty reception out there!

robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6221

The initial post had an ‘I don’t like it, therefore nobody can like it’ feel about it.

I haven’t ticked Southwell yet so can’t comment on the course itself. That aside, I watched replays of yesterday’s meeting and thought there was some competitive racing.

Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4825

The folk of South Well as they love to keep telling you when you call it Suthall,are a very Clique bunch,for some reason the town can be as cold a place in winter as i have seen,the last time i worked there the temp was -12 degrees,yes you can get a Frosty reception out there!

I thought Luke Harvey did a good job yesterday afternoon getting out and about in the snow, the people he spoke to seemed to be having fun, genuine enthusiasts and owners who love their racing at the lower levels.

These are the people that John Gosden and the Horsemans Group want to excommunicate from the levy.

Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Simple rule, TAPK. If you live within a mile of the Minster and can see its twin towers, its South – well. Everyone else can get away with Suthul.

I got pulled on my first week here by a local who, as you say, can be a bit Hills Have Eyes to strangers, particularly if you’re from Nottingham.

But you’re from Ripley, right? I wouldn’t wander drunkenly round the market place on a Saturday night – not unless I fancied six months staring at a hospital lightbulb. Lets be fair on this… :D

Disagree with you entirely on the course itself though. Friendliest course I’ve ever been to. Admittedly I go all the time, but from a standing start I now talk to fifteen, twenty people every meeting. We share information, have a crack, and spot the V word on every race. You can wander about the pre-parade ring, get from the paddock to the books in about six seconds and it is so clean, you can eat the home made cottage pies and mushy peas combo off the floor. As Cav says, I can’t say enough about it.

But I can understand people not liking that surface. Its a bit Marmite.

However, Southwell/Suthul bashers are missing the point: We were open for business yesterday and and we’ll be open for business tomorrow. (And Friday!)

The Ante-Post King
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8695

But you’re from Ripley, right? I wouldn’t wander drunkenly round the market place on a Saturday night – not unless I fancied six months staring at a hospital lightbulb. Lets be fair on this… :D

You would be safe as houses with me Max,Ripley is famous for Cliff richard playing his first ever gig!I have lived here for 20yrs but i will never be a Ripleyite!By the way i have never had a problem with Jumping at Southwell,its that bloody All Weather stuff,they dont just bring the sand from Skeggy they bring the Donkeys aswell!

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

Ouch!!!!!

ricky lake
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 2999

Max , share your ethusiam for the gaff , its a good place to go for a day out , un fortunately in the new world of premierisation , it will be downgraded to flapper staus

Interesting to see what happens then

cheers

Ricky

Ken(West Derby)
    • Total Posts 1063

As a long-standing admirer of the female species I find the title of this thread slightly sexist…… I have known many women more than capable of swinging a ball and chain.
    In fact, my ex-wife quite regularly demolished my opinions without even blinking. To suggest our relationship was dynamite is an understatement.
    K

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.