The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Shirocco

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    davidbrady
    • Total Posts 3901

Banker of the day now that the going is Gd/Sft. Still 15/8 in places (which was the RP forecast price when the going was Gd/Fm)

The Wizard
    • Total Posts 92

Hope you’re correct as he’s one of out Ten To Follow main selections. I’m a bit worried about Hard Top, given Sir Michael Stoute’s record of getting a good tune out of older horses.

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

Absolutely, one of the horses I’d set out to follow this season; looks a simple task.

The Wizard
    • Total Posts 92

FSL – currently a decent price then if you’re that confident – GET ON!!

Artemis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1736

Always a bit of a worry when the phrase ‘can’t be beaten’ is used.<br>I believe there are only two dangers: Bandari, who could pose a threat if returning to his best, and the improving Munsef. Hard Top is, of course, respected, but if he was from any other stable he would be about 6/1.

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3181

Not sure about Shirocco, certainly deserves to be favourite but Stoute managed to get Mountain High back to form as a 4yo yesterday and maybe he can get Hard Top’s career back on track :)

IRSHEYEZ
    • Total Posts 223

Have to agree with this thread completley the change in going to good to soft makes the 15/8 a very very big price imo. I cant believe stoutes Hard Top has a rating of 115, i know he beat the geezer who went on to finish 2nd to scorpion in the leger but i think hard top is highly overated. May well be eatin my words later on today but i highly doubt it.

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

A very very brave lay EC

SHL

FlatSeasonLover
    • Total Posts 2065

What price did you lay it at EC? I think the soft ground was the key but I lumped on so I’m happy.:)

jackane24
    • Total Posts 444

This morning logged onto Turf Trax and saw Good to Soft with a Soft patch from 2 out to 1 out, saw the 2.66 on BF and had a bit of it.

Fancied Hard Top first time out, but the ground went completely against him. Will be a good older horse though, Don’t think he’s at all overrated. Could possibly develop into a Group 1 horse.

IRSHEYEZ
    • Total Posts 223

Every stoute horse is actually overated imo and the betting reflects it with them. I see areyoutalkingtome out at winsor in a maiden over 1m 2. of course stoute has tissue 2nd fav with only 1 run. Now if charles cyzer trained fleeting memory he’d be 12/1 at least and if stoute had areyoutalkingtome he’d be 4/9. Altho works beeter for me sumtimes as u always get a bit of value with a powerful stable going up against a small 1.

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

If anyone can tell me why Hard Top is rated so high, I’d love to hear it.

He won a falsely run Great Voiteguer (sp?) and thats it. Not shown much else for me. Now Munsef is a horse who may progress well this season.

SirHarryLewis
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1208

No doubt but thats what happens with all horses from the big yard.  Why do you think the winner of the big one today was still 20’s after the Nell Gywnn.  Bookmakers are much more afraid of talking horses from these yards.

EC,  as a shrewd layer of horses that you are, i was surprised you took on shiroco.  Surely the horse wouldnt have even needed to be fully fit to beat that lot and more to the point, why come the whole way to Newmarket for a prep race.  Although I suppose in modern times, its probably just as easy as bringing anywhere more local.

SHL

Salselon
    • Total Posts 883

Interesting to hear how Fabre spoke about Shirocco after the race.

He seems to rate him very close to Hurricane run. The Corantion cup should not be missed, although it is a pity Shawanda misses out.

jackane24
    • Total Posts 444

Andrew, Hard Top will love a hard top, and showed his class when winning the Great Voltigeur.

Don’t quite see how it was falsely run – was 1.54 seconds slower than standard, and he beat The Geezer, Brahminy Kite, Kong, etc. He’ll improve, and would be very happy to back him on a quick surface.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.