The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Shergar Cup

Home Forums Horse Racing Shergar Cup

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

Looking at the jockeys line up, even Captain Robbo would struggle to get excited about this year’s contest:

https://www.racingpost.com/news/britain/which-jockeys-are-competing-in-the-shergar-cup-at-ascot-on-saturday-atDWJ6J5Wkiq/

As in previous years, there is a Ladies Team but the Rest Of The World team is entirely made up of female jockeys as well. :unsure:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

Is there a Mens Team? I remember bringing this up last year the excitement is killing me,

The things I want most in life are the things that I can't win.

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 759

As Saffie has other commitments at Haydock Saturday and cant take part, probably worth a second look at her rides there.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16887

Glad I’m off to Newmarket. :yahoo:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    MissIsabella
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25

Surely this has to be the last year of this rubbish.Its a novelty meeting that has ceased to be a novelty.
    Half the jockeys this year have never ridden at Ascot & most of the rest have ridden there rarely apart from Hayley Turner,Seamie Heffernan & Billy Loughnane.

No wonder racegoers & punters are turning away from the sport.
    This is a ‘Premier Saturday’ in which betting turnover must be limited so affecting the levy.

Richard88
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2849

It’s one meeting out of nearly 1500 in a year in Great Britain, six races out of more than 10,000.

Nobody has time to watch all of that anyway. It is just another meeting, I doubt it brings in any new fans but equally it doesn’t put people off either.

So what if the jockeys don’t know the track, it’s a chance to ride at one of the sport’s most historic venues, if I was an overseas jock then I’d jump at the chance.

Participant
    • Total Posts 8863

I think it is OK as a one off meeting on an otherwise quiet Saturday. Part of the appeal was seeing a few top class foreign jockeys riding over here but it looks like Ascot has struggled to attract them this year.

The team aspect of the event does not interest me at all.

Participant
    • Total Posts 32124

I’d take this one day a year over the Racing League nonsense

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

Two Saturdays I never look forward to The Shergar Cup and the Grand National. Tha Shergar Cup would be slightly more tolerable if ITV didn’t make such a song and dance about it.

Landafar
    Participant
    • Total Posts 759

Its not a great betting prospect for those that play E/W 10 runners per race.
    :negative:

droffats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 611

A complete nonsense. How they think that this will get new people to follow racing heavens knows.

Coggy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1374

This absolute farce needs to be dropped , along with that other joke event the “Racing League”.
    Pathetic , contrived nonsense , in my view.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

Out of the twelve jockeys I only know who five of them are.

Participant
    • Total Posts 3439

The Shergar Cup & Racing League pale into insignificance when compared to there being far, far too much racing. Hundreds too many meetings but can’t see anything being done to rectify matters by the totally inept BHA. One thing in favour of the RL & Shergar is the decent prize money despite the abysmal structure of them and what must surely be the poorest turnout of jockeys possible for Saturday’s Shergar.

Can’t see Ascot giving it up that easily – 25,000 plus at a minimum of 40 quid plus all the add on’s amounts to millions. Would have thought the Shergar Cup with a better format (eg As there are only 6 races why don’t all 12 jockeys ride in all races?) and better jockeys would be more suitable on the Sunday.

sergeantcecil
    Participant
    • Total Posts 85

This has to be the worst Saturday’s racing of the whole year for me. Because of the reserves system any odds you take are subject to the Rule 4, unless you are betting close to each race off time.

apracing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3755

Pretty significant decline in the quality of the horses taking part, not just the jockeys. Tomorrow, I make it 29/59 runners are rated below 90.

Five years ago, the same card in 2019 had only 11/60 runners rated below 90, and 8 of those were in the same race.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2287

This is where social media should come into play and create a betting boycott on the Shergar Cup that could give rise to it’s demise.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.