The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

SHEIKH MOHAMMED

Home Forums Horse Racing SHEIKH MOHAMMED

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    aidanldrebin
    • Total Posts 171

Are they ruining racing to a certain extent? I mean look at the 2000 Guineas. 1st – 30,000gns 2nd – 24,000gns and 3rd 16,000gns. What I mean is that they can’t of all looked so bad as yearlings both on looks and on paper yet they have made the first three in a classic. Where is the quality horse? Good bloodlines etc.

Also how good is John Ferguson or Saeed Bin Suroor? They have about 150 plus juveniles in training a season yet only run one horse who looked just a good horse. All the millions spent on other trainers horses and yearlings worldwide yet not a serious contender for a classic in sight! The big boys are killing racing as they purchase anything with a good pedigree as an insurance policy so if they are Group 1 they can be retired to stud with a weighty fee. Meanwhile 50 odd horses who may of been better off elsewhere are left unraced and sold on at the end of the year. They are so scared of missing the next big thing they stockpile the best bred horses just in case they are any good and also buy the most promising juveniles at the end of every season (Mythical Kid, Opera Cape, Silcas Sister, Lateen Sails, Palace Episode to name a few) and yet they haven’t done a thing between them. Their schedule of returning form Dubai in April is laughable and I personally think they are ruining racing.

Sorry for ranting but I feel so passionately about this.

http://www.myspace.com/racingtips

Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

Hi aidan, thought I’d reply and say hello, sah!!

Hello sah!

Are they ruining racing to a certain extent?

Is there more than one Sheikh Mohammed? Has he a double in case of assassination – or like Martin Boorman, about fourteen doubles? I think we should be told.<br><br>Where is the quality horse?

Sick, more than likely. Like many of the Godolphin stable. As with the speedy Speciosa last year, nice to see an affordable horse like Cockney Rebel leave us smiling with dreams intact though. I reckon even the Sheikh Mohammeds will have colelctively smiled at that. When Sir Percy won the Derby last year, the assembled Sheikh Hamdans were pleased as punch by all accounts.

Also how good is John Ferguson or Saeed Bin Suroor?<br>

A hundred plus worldwide Group Ones, producing more studs than a rack full of Loadeds and spreading cash around British racing like it’s about to be banned.  I reckon they’ve done all right, for them and us.

also buy the most promising juveniles at the end of every season (Mythical Kid, Opera Cape, Silcas Sister, Lateen Sails, Palace Episode to name a few) and yet they haven’t done a thing between them

Thereby giving the smaller owner the opportunity to cash in on their investment at an often huge multiple, (all the Sheikh Mohammeds are excellent payers), therefore allowing the smaller owner to buy other horses, such as Speciosa, Sir Percy, Cockney Rebel and Finsceal Beo. And let us not forget that Invasor was once owned by a Uruguayan Emu farmer, before one of the Sheikh Hamdans offered a kings ransom for the amazing beast. Probably.

Their schedule of returning form Dubai in April is laughable and I personally think they are ruining racing.

Errrrrr…it worked up till a couple of years ago. Was it twenty Group Ones they won in 2003? I remember being bored bollockless that year – the racing ruiners only had to point the stable chickens at a Group One and they won barely turning a feather.

Mate of mine backed the lot and duly got banned from every bookies in Nottinghamshire. He ended up growing a beard and becoming one of the Sheikh Mohammeds in homage. I doubt very much my mate would agree with your assessment, I should cocoa.

Anyroad, welcome to the forum!

Max

<br>

Aragorn
    • Total Posts 2208

I agree with what Max says on a lot of this. The amount of money they have piled into the UK racing scene is huge and has certainly helped to develop the sport in this country and has probably made some people quite rich in the process.

Godolphin at the moment seem to need a re-think on their buying policy. The coolmore embargo has certainly hurt them and the boys in dark blue have been in the ascendancy somewhat as a result. I for one am eraly pleased that the G1 domination by these two camps seems to be dwindling and the competition is good as a result. I would not want the sheik’s to take their money elsewhere though.

Stormont
    • Total Posts 300

Regarding how good Suroor and Ferguson are:

I will start of with Ferguson. I’m not sure we can say whether the Godolphin form can be his fault with the horses that he is told you buy for them. If you were the bloodstock agent for Godolphin and Sheikh Mo asked you to buy a certain horse, you went to see it and didn’t like it at all yourself….. what would you do?

Ring the sheikh up and tell him it’s useless (quistioning his judgement) P45 in the post the next morning and bad media for him………. or just the buy the horse and accept your commission. I know what i would do.

I think the main question is how much patience Sheikh Mo has, he seems to have it in spades because i would have got rid of SBS a long time ago. You only have to look at their runners in America, they have a great strike rate. Someone called Mattee (spelling?) trains them over there even though it still says SBS……….. They gallop the hell out of all these horses in England and most are a spent force before even getting to the track.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.