The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Sheepskin noseband

Home Forums Horse Racing Sheepskin noseband

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    pilgarlic
    Participant
    • Total Posts 609

Afsoun was sporting a sheepskin noseband at Sandown – I`d imagine
    for the first time. I don`t recall seeing this on any other Henderson
    horses. Would it have any calming effect on a horse who gets in a state
    before racing?

The other instance I can think of was when Stoute put one on King`s Best
    before the Guineas.

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 384

Also, why do horses wear nosebands? I guess cheekpieces work similarly to blinkers but don’t quite understadn the purpose of the noseband. Thanks

LUKE
    • Total Posts 271

Also, why do horses wear nosebands? I guess cheekpieces work similarly to blinkers but don’t quite understadn the purpose of the noseband. Thanks

Arguably not wearing a noseband cost Dayjur a Breeders Cup Sprint.

Wallace
    Participant
    • Total Posts 862

Sheepskin nosebands are used by some trainers to encourage the horse to gallop with its head down. Others seem to use them on all runners.

Its is generally thought horses move better when their head is lower and when riding a horse it is not pleasant to be on a horse that throws is head up.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Nosebands are generally used on horses that carry their heads awkwardly. When they stick their heads in the air, the noseband will actually prevent them from seeing in front of them, so the horse then puts his head down so he can see.

Kevin Ryan rarely runs a 2yo without one.

seabird
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2924

Found this piece by Greg Melikov on Suite101.com

"There’s a piece of equipment, sometimes quite colorful, that helps some thoroughbreds to improve. You won’t find it listed in program or past performances like Lasix, blinkers and front wraps.

It’s a large sheepskin band that fits over the nose to keep a horse’s eyes focused forward and away from distractions underfoot.

It’s called a shadow roll.

It goes on a horse that’s been shying away from sudden changes in light that occurs on the track. It keeps the head low and prevents the horse from climbing, allowing the animal to run level.

Wearing a shadow roll may also signal a change in bits. That’s the part of the bridle inserted into the steed’s mouth.

A horse having trouble breathing might require changing the ring bit to a direct bit, which will help the animal run level and correct the problem.

So it might be a good idea to note on your program if your selection was wearing a shadow roll when running a particularly bad race. "

Colin

Adrian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1041

Sheepskin nosebands – or shadow rolls as they call them – do have to be declared in Dubai. You will see them listed in the declarations on the Emirates Racing website.

sberry
    • Total Posts 1801

so its not to keep their noses warm then ?

but seriously, i seem to recall last year, maybe at lingfield, a horse was declared with one, trainer didn’t put it on and the horse was withdrawn at the start, i think …

graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6965

I suppose the obvious follow-on question from the above would be why nosebands are not mentioned against a horse’s name in the same way as cheekpieces and blinkers, if they serve, broadly speaking, the same corrective purpose.

Point-to-point comments in running usually list crossed nosebands, but not sheepskin ones. Nowhere else does even that, unless I’ve been looking in the wrong places.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

Timeform tend to list crossed nosebands in the comments on the better horses i.e. if rated 100+.

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Don’t really like to see racehorses (especially the classier ones) wear nosebands (aesthetic reasons, more than anything) though it didn’t do the likes of Mill Reef, L’Escargot and Red Rum any harm.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

batman
    • Total Posts 489

Don’t really like to see racehorses (especially the classier ones) wear nosebands (aesthetic reasons, more than anything) though it didn’t do the likes of Mill Reef, L’Escargot and Red Rum any harm.

Moscow Flyer

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

Moscow Flyer

Yes, Jessica’s class two miler as well. How could I forget? :wink:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

batman
    • Total Posts 489

Moscow Flyer

Yes, Jessica’s class two miler as well. How could I forget? :wink:

Easy it’s Monday….. :lol:

vikingflagship
    Participant
    • Total Posts 905

yeah red rum always wore a noseband as so did ginger mccains other national winner amberleigh house

vf

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.