The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Sea The Stars, value, location and fee?

Home Forums Horse Racing Sea The Stars, value, location and fee?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

any thoughts?

My guess would be the Irish National stud where he was born.

Peter Poston’s Ghost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 548

Kildangan Stud.

100k Euro.

Pure guess on my part, but would imagine that owner will look to get best price for the horse and don’t think that Coolmore would pay it when they already have Galileo. Maybe they could stand him in America instead?

The downside of him standing under the Darley banner would be lack of Coolmore mares visiting him and vice versa.

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2165

my guess is that Sh Mo will pay whatever it takes to get this horse, almost regardless of the traditional valuation formula.

also, that the price could well get to GBP 100m. small price for a piece of history but more importantly for maybe now the single biggest piece for his jigsaw in challenging Coolmore.

my guess is that Sh Mo would then stand him in Ireland.

the Tsuis had Urban Sea boarded with the late Brian Grassick in Naas, and their recent history is all with Ireland after initially being in France. they have a strong emotional attachment to the horse and i think would want to do right by him, so Ireland might even be a condition of any whole or part sale.

the Tsuis may not need the money particularly, but i suspect they do need an established stud rather than going it alone.

i could see the underbidder being someone like Shadai in Hokkaido, who would themselves be quite capable of hitting GBP 100m the way the yen has gone against GBP.

and just look at their existing roster:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shadai_Stallion_Station

best regards

wit

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 8373

I’ve actually been thinking about this since I woke up this morning. Knowing very little about horse breeding I was wondering what effect this will have on Coolmore, Godolphin etc. I assume that it can only enhance the worth of Galileo as a stallion, but it has greatly enhanced the desirabilty of using Cape Cross. What mares are likely to be sent to STS? Will he be in demand in Australia with his prefence for firm ground? Although I hate to see horses depart the racing scene, I can’t wait to see his youngsters out on the track in a few years time. Surely, if Coolmore don’t use him they are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Black Sam Bellamy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 443

I expect him to end up at the Irish National stud. The bloodlines are wrong for Coolmore..they can hardly market him as "Cape Cross’ best son". If Darley were going to acquire him, wouldn’t they have done it by now ?

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2165

… If Darley were going to acquire him, wouldn’t they have done it by now ?

takes two to tango.

my guess is that the Tsuis wanted to do the Arc on their own terms.

its noticeable how they have included Jean Lesbordes, the trainer who bought and trained Urban Sea for them, in all the successes of Sea The Stars.

He’s the older chap in the hat and glasses who accompanies Christopher (or more accurately 崔家亮 – Tsui Ga Leong, as it sounds in Cantonese).

i also expect that the Tsuis well know what they’re doing when it comes to negotiating.

best regards

wit

Black Sam Bellamy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 443

Isn’t Sea The Stars a homebred ?

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2165

I guess that depends on the definition of "homebred".

Urban Sea foaled him at the Irish National Stud.

When not there, she boarded at the late Brian Grassick’s Newtown House Stud.

Brian as an independent professional advised Ling Tsui on stallion matches, but she made the ultimate choice of Cape Cross after being impressed by Ouija Board.

Probably more "homebred" than the way Urban Sea was treated under the earlier association with Coolmore in producing the likes of Galileo and yourself ?

But I take your point – no reason why the Tsuis couldn’t keep and stand him themselves at the Irish National Stud.

It may boil down to how much STS is worth to Sh Mo as a special purchaser….

best regards

wit

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

Sensible thing too do would be too say too coolmore,Judmonte, The Maktoums and The Aga Khan, right you can have five breeding rights each for x amount or foal share. That way he would have access too five of the most powerful broodmare operations in the hemisphere. Market the rest of the book through the INS and stand him their.

Motivator and Dr Fong are both syndicated and I gather both Coolmore and the Maktoums have shares in them.

Roseblossom
    Participant
    • Total Posts 353

So.. the Aga Khan will host StS at his Gilltown Stud, and has said Zarkava will be covered by him "as soon as possible"…

Any expert any thoughts on this mating? You can get some prices on the foal winning the Arc etc – 100/1 with Laddies. 50/1 to win the Triumph Hurdle with Paddy Power…

The Tsui family retain ownership.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

Makes sense, the place is like fort Knox so if someone got clever and tried too nab him they will a had time doing it.

yorkshirepudding
    • Total Posts 608

Makes sense, the place is like fort Knox so if someone got clever and tried too nab him they will a had time doing it.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.