The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Scriptio Continua in racing?

Home Forums Horse Racing Scriptio Continua in racing?

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Hurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1555

I was just wondering what Racing For Change think about all these new style names Wetherby’s are allowing.

It’s only a matter of time before something like tellheriminthepubwithmymates wins the Derby or the Cheltenham Gold Cup.

Names like Red Rum, Desert Orchid, Arkle. Nijinsky Kauto Star and Frankel add credibility to the game but what a laughing stock if getyourbreeksoff becomes the greatest horse of all time in the next 5 years.

I’m all for peoples rights but sometimes you have got to be sensible and say no we can’t have that or of you prefer nowecntavthat :cry:

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Provided it’s not rude (or so rude that even Weatherbys spot it!), or a reserved name (classic winners etc.) or an overt piece of business advertising, then if it’s legal, clean and 18 characters or less they sadly don’t have much of a case for not allowing it.

Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1604

Is this a new thing?

I can think of Musthaveaswig, Herecomesthetruth, Forpadydeplasterer…

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Is this a new thing?

I can think of Musthaveaswig, Herecomesthetruth, Forpadydeplasterer…

The last named at least wouldn’t be a Weatherby’s registration (not sure about

Herecomesthetruth

either) but as to your main point, I think the answer is "no". Even back in Victorian times I’d be confident in saying that

scriptio continua

was used on occasion for naming racehorses, though perhaps more rarely than today.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5505

Scriptio Continua would be a nice and rather apt name for a racehorse :)

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8979

I thought that was what he was on about Drone!! And yes, it would.

In these days of the Twitter hastag we might well see even more of those names.

#doesitreallymatterwhatitiscalledaslongasyoucanhaveacoupleofquidonit

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

Scriptio Continua would be a nice and rather apt name for a racehorse :)

A lovely thought… though perhaps

Scriptiocontinua

might be even more apt, in context!

Hippo Joe
    • Total Posts 80

Hurdygurdy, I couldn’t agree more with your post.

Peter O’Sullevan mentioned on TV many years ago that somebody had written a thesis on how a racehorse’s name affected its ability, starting with the premise that there was never a great racehorse with a rotten name.

I feel for the poor bumper horse I saw last week named Breakoutthebooze – how very depressing.

Hippo Joe
    • Total Posts 80

Hurdygurdy, I couldn’t agree more with your post.

Peter O’Sullevan mentioned on TV many years ago that somebody had written a thesis on how a racehorse’s name affected its ability, starting with the premise that there was never a great racehorse with a rotten name.

I feel for the poor bumper horse I saw last week named Breakoutthebooze – how very depressing.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 17716

:lol:
    Arizelos won 3 of his 4 races, and earned a mark of 104 for doing so.

cormack15
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 8979

There must be some good horses with bad names surely. I never liked the name Workforce for a start.

Miss Woodford
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1335

There must be some good horses with bad names surely. I never liked the name Workforce for a start.

Isitingood :lol:
    Freefourinternet
    Anofferucantrefuse
    Fourstarsallstar and Fourstardave
    Cherokeeinthehills
    Dancethruthedawn

Hurdygurdyman
    • Total Posts 1555

Provided it’s not rude (or so rude that even Weatherbys spot it!), or a reserved name (classic winners etc.) or an overt piece of business advertising, then if it’s legal, clean and 18 characters or less they sadly don’t have much of a case for not allowing it.

Big hand for that information Pinza not a lotta people know that :roll:

So your opinion is? or are you only here as an expert witness? :lol:

Let Lee McCkenzie commentate on this race:

Imnohairymary
    mymawsamillionaire
    blueeyeancurlyhair
    sitinamongthecoconuts
    playingagameofdominoes

Apartfrom falling over laughing or crying he’d probably ask for the band to join in and sing his way through the race.

Do you think racing is going the right way on this? I certainly don’t, Gawd forbid Arkle had been called madeinscotlandfromgirders

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3093

Where do you draw the line though? What about all the Arab names that McCririck is always moaning about, presumably because he’s incapable of pronouncing them.

Laddies Poker Two landed a massive gamble in the Wokingham and Shergar would have still hacked up in the Derby if he’d been called Clothes Peg.

Good, bad and ugly names just add to the rich tapestry of the sport, it would be pretty boring if they all had "good" names.
    And the way prize money has gone here British racing needs every owner it can get.

Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5505

Alistair Down on

King Of Kings

– "With a name like that he was never going to be running in Bellewstown selling hurdles" (or summat like)

Never liked the name

See More Business

which irked as unwieldy and a tad ugly. Though considering his sire was Seymour Hicks and his owner the demolition man’s demolition man Robert Ogden, cleverly named I suppose

% MAN
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5104

Let Lee McCkenzie commentate on this race:

Funny you should say that – Lee and I did once waste an afternoon, between races, coming up with an "impossible" race to call in terms of horses names – I’ll have to have a dig around to see if I can find the final list.

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3093

Never liked the name

See More Business

which irked as unwieldy and a tad ugly. Though considering his sire was Seymour Hicks and his owner the demolition man’s demolition man Robert Ogden, cleverly named I suppose

His original owner must have been psychic Drone, Ogden didn’t buy the horse till he had run 19 times :lol:

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 25 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.