The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

sam "wally" cohen

Home Forums Horse Racing sam "wally" cohen

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 49 total)
  • Author
    detroit orchid
    • Total Posts 64

just finished a circuit too soon at fakenham

then the prat says he thought the horse swallowed his tongue jumping the first fence in the straight :D

he clearly pushed the horse out after jumping the fence

you dont push it out if its swallowed its tongue do ya :D

no long run in king george now

betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2789

As you say, patently rode a finish a circuit early but top quality blagging to come up with such a story in the time it takes for the rest of them to complete a circuit!!

Loved how the stupifyingly inept Richard Pitman bought it hook, line and sinker and it

still

hasn’t occurred to him what’s really happened…

Mike

JohnnyB
    • Total Posts 768

What a joke, I hope the stewards are not as easily duped by Sam WC. It was so obvious that he thought he was about to win, he was looking round for dangers, not as he said, to make sure he didnt hamper anyone, be honest Sam……

GodolphinArabian
    • Total Posts 275

banned for 12 days starts in January

Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3777

My view, having watched the race, is that Waley-Cohen obviously realised he’d made a big mistake and being the clever, well educated chap that he is, quickly concocted the "I thought he was about to swallow his tongue" story, in order to appease the stewards.

Even although Waley-Cohen’s version of events is hard to prove or disprove, I don’t buy it for a minute, just as Matt Chapman doesn’t – and I doubt whether Richard Pitman, who interviewed Waley-Cohen after the race, bought it either.

Waley-Cohen’s sheepish responses; not to mention his body language, told its own story. He took the wrong course when his horse was cruising along in front. No excuse ! They gave Sam Thomas 20 days holiday for a similar offence. I wonder what Mr. Waley-Cohen’s punishment will be, if any ?

Oh, I see he got twelve days. :| I was hoping he’d miss the King George.

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

EmmyK
    • Total Posts 166

12 day ban, however due to the technicalities of banning amatuers he will still be able to ride Long Run in the King George

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

I expect his father will be disgusted with Sams ‘explanantion’.

It says a hell of a lot about someone when they have the gaul to tell such lies knowing full well nobody will believe them – let alone the complete disregard for punters like me that backed him.

Just apologise and move on, man.

Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1602

Sometime in the future a jockey will probably ride a finish a circuit too early again. It happens.

People make mistakes.

SWC made one, looked like a prat then tried to salvage face. Not the first person to have done this and won’t be the last. He’s got a ban and his pride’s taken a good kicking. I don’t see any reason to berate him any further.

MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2802

He’s lied to the stewards, ridden a finish a circuit too early, and is given 12 days. Not much longer than someone trying to win a race but using a whip a few times too many. Racing is ridiculous.

He was obviously riding a finish because he looked round prior to jumping two fences and then pushed the horse over the line.

I’d backed it, it looked like a winner. Can i have my money back, please, Sam ?*

* Obviously joking.

JohnnyB
    • Total Posts 768

the problem was that he tried to deny it, instead of being man enough to admit he’d made a mistake. Made it ten times worse.

MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2802

the problem was that he tried to deny it, instead of being man enough to admit he’d made a mistake.

Made it ten times worse.

But it hasn’t made it worse because he has been banned for the incident itself only.

"Yeah, well, i thought i heard something – he’s had breathing troubles before – but i looked round and thought i’d jump one more fence. Then i looked round and jumped another fence. Then i decided to pull the horse up by riding it over the finish line. I didn’t realise my mistake afterwards, i didn’t formulate a plan, and i didn’t dismount the horse to try and influence your opinion "

eddie case
    • Total Posts 1214

My view, having watched the race, is that Waley-Cohen obviously realised he’d made a big mistake and being the clever, well educated chap that he is, quickly concocted the "I thought he was about to swallow his tongue" story, in order to appease the stewards.

Even although Waley-Cohen’s version of events is hard to prove or disprove, I don’t buy it for a minute, just as Matt Chapman doesn’t – and I doubt whether Richard Pitman, who interviewed Waley-Cohen after the race, bought it either.

Waley-Cohen’s sheepish responses; not to mention his body language, told its own story. He took the wrong course when his horse was cruising along in front. No excuse ! They gave Sam Thomas 20 days holiday for a similar offence. I wonder what Mr. Waley-Cohen’s punishment will be, if any ?

Oh, I see he got twelve days. :| I was hoping he’d miss the King George.

I’m afraid Pitman did buy it and his reporting on the whole incident was a complete embarrassment, clueless doesn’t do him justice.
    The rule that the ban although too lenient should apply to only amateur race days and allow him to ride in the King George seems a perfectly reasonable one to me although fortunate for Wally Cohen on this occasion, whose fairy story was no doubt instigated by the thought at missing the King George.

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Sometime in the future a jockey will probably ride a finish a circuit too early again. It happens.

People make mistakes.

SWC made one, looked like a prat then tried to salvage face. Not the first person to have done this and won’t be the last. He’s got a ban and his pride’s taken a good kicking. I don’t see any reason to berate him any further.

I think you’re missing the part where he lied. He refuses to even acknowledge his mistake, and so until he does, he deserves all he gets. I’m glad his conduct would do for you.

I’d have no problem if he held his hands up and apologised. And what about the scant disregard for punters?

Bachelors Hall
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1602

the problem was that he tried to deny it, instead of being man enough to admit he’d made a mistake. Made it ten times worse.

He knew he cocked up and he knew everyone else knew. So he took a shot.

Besides, even if he did "man up", he wouldn’t be getting any less flak. When Roger Loughran made his spectacular hash, you’d never see a more apologetic man. Yet people were still baying for his blood.

MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2802

People make mistakes.

I think you’re missing the part where he lied. He refuses to even acknowledge his mistake, and so until he does, he deserves all he gets. I’m glad his conduct would do for you.

I’d have no problem if he held his hands up and apologised. And what about the scant disregard for punters?

Yep. Did he apologise to punters and racegoers ? No.

Ridiculous from Pitman, too. How can a horseman agree with that method of pulling a horse up – a few furlongs after Waley Cohen first looked round and subsequently jumped fences ?!

Onthesteal
    • Total Posts 1387

Bach Hall – that really is a strange outlook you have there.

Apologist

doesn’t do you justice!

Lone Wolf
    • Total Posts 614

I thought it was funny. He must have thought the handicapper was a mug turning in for ‘the finish’.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 49 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.