The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Russell Baze set to beat Pincay's 9530 winners records

Home Forums Archive Topics Russell Baze set to beat Pincay's 9530 winners records

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    pengamon
    • Total Posts 227

After riding 2 winners yesterday at Bay Meadows taking him to 2 short of Pincay’s record he has 6 rides on both Wednesday and Thursday and should have the record by Thursday evening.

But is Pincay’s mark still the world record? I knew there was this Brazilian jockey Jorge Ricardo-I think he rode in the Arc in 1994- who I believe was close to 9000 wins a couple of years ago (think he’s younger than Baze but i’m not sure) but today I found something from the Thoroughbred Times that said he was on 9303 wins as at March 30 this year.

Does anyone have an updated figure? Has he passed Pincay’s figure or is Pincay’s total only wins recorded in the US and not elsewhere?

wit
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2152

two months old now, but according to the Brazilian Jockey Club site:

http://www.jcb.com.br/noticias/brasil1.asp#mais

as of 28 September this year, Baze was 6 ahead of Ricardo (9455 vs 9461) – seventh item down.

Ricardo is apparently now riding in Argentina, whose website seems a bit dozy:

http://www.jockeyclub.com.ar/index2.htm

presumably though the Brazilians would be shouting it out if he was ahead of Baze at this point…..

best regards

wit

Lincoln Duncan
    • Total Posts 157

Baze is quite a long way ahead of Ricardo – about 70-80 if memory serves.

The figure of Pincay (9,530) is a world record, no jockey anywhere under the sun has ridden more. Ricardo will pass Pincay but he may never catch Baze, who will probably ride 350 winners a year for the next four or five years.

Lincoln Duncan
    • Total Posts 157

actually, the Baze-Ricardo gap may be more like 30-40, now I think about it

pengamon
    • Total Posts 227

Quote: from Lincoln Duncan on 9:00 am on Nov. 28, 2006[br]actually, the Baze-Ricardo gap may be more like 30-40, now I think about it

Ricardo will probably demand a reccount! He’s younger than Baze-is that right?-i’ve seen 2 different ages for him.

Is he riding less now, but better horses, now he’s gone to Argentina? I think I read that he’s 1 year into a 3 year contract riding there.

Lincoln Duncan
    • Total Posts 157

Ricardo is 45, three years younger than Baze. The gap between them is approximately 30 (I’ve looked it up) and he is riding in Argentina this year, where he has had just over 100 winners. Not enough to trouble RB, but he rides Grade 1 winners left, right and centre, which is something Baze doesn’t do.

jonny1ph
    • Total Posts 44

I would guess the average claimer in Northern California pays<br>a similar amount of prize money as a G1 in Southern America.  

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.