The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Run For the Roses

Home Forums Horse Racing Run For the Roses

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3185

Big race this Saturday night so come on all who’s going to win?

My two against the field are Any Given Saturday and Cowtown Cat.  AGS is improving steadily going into the race and i’ve heard positive reports about CC from Kentucky.

Check out http://www.turfangels.com for all the Derby info and pictures :)

Martin<br>ps. I have a vested interest in said site as a couple of friends of mine run it

ClintM
    • Total Posts 237

As usual, a fascinating contest.

Will a BC Juvenile winner get to win a KD ? How good actually is Curlin ? Will Scat Daddy get the better of Nobiz again and will that be good enough to win the race? Is Circular Quay the one ? Is Hard Spun’s latest bullet workout highly significant ? Will the winner come from non of the above – and so many more questions.<br> <br>Bring it on.

empty walletempty wallet
    • Total Posts 1631

Horse i’d like to see win is Curlin, just to prove he is what i think he is, very very good

From a betting prespective, the horse to back is Street Sense, should be at the head of the market imo

Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

In the most open Kentucky Derby I can remember, I’ll take two.

If you forgive Hard Spun a bad run in Arkansas – which he recovered from – then he has to have every chance and is working like Pegasus in the morning.

A decent longshot would be Teuflesberg, who may not stay, but who could rout this lot from the front if he does.  Very tough race.

Maxilon 5Maxilon 5
    • Total Posts 2432

A very, very nice win from Street Sense, which lays to rest the BC Juvenile bogey.

AraziArazi
    • Total Posts 263

Great performance by Street Sense and a great ride by his jockey Calvin Borel who kept him glued to the inside rail throughout the race. You need luck as well as ability to win the Kentucky Derby and it’s clear that Street Sense had alot of luck with a dream run up the inside. However, it was a deserved success because he was the best horse on the day. I really enjoyed watching Calvin Borel celebrating after the race, it clearly meant so much to him winning it and he is obviously a very popular guy over there.

Hard Spun ran a mighty race to finish second considering he set such a fast pace from the front and yet still managed to keep in touch with Street Sense down the straight. I think this fellow will be a major threat to Street Sense in the Preakness. The pace of the race will be much slower and therefor I reckon Street Sense will have a harder time getting past Hard Spun in two weeks time.

IMO Curlin ran a fantastic race to finish third on only his fourth start of his career. I was watching him throughout the race and at the start when I saw him being shuffled to the rear of the field I thought he was stuffed. I was expecting him to just hate the whole experience of the kick back and the jossling for position that you get with the Kentucky Derby. However, along the backstretch he started to make up ground and unlike Street Sense he didn’t get a clear run through but he still managed to stay on for third. He wouldn’t have beaten the front two with a clear run anyway but I still think to get to third spot, from the position he was in and on only his fourth career start was some achievement. There was alot of hype about Curlin before the race and imo he will live up to that hype later in the season.

Of the rest, Circler Quay stands out. He had to come from as far back as Street Sense but he met alot of trouble in running. I think he’s worth looking out for in the future.

guskennedy
    • Total Posts 759

If I remember correctly, Street Sense was quoted at 14/1 (by Corals, I think) for yesterday’s race straight after his Breeders’ Cup win. It seemed a big price to me after such an impressive performance and I considered taking it but I fell for all the "he came up a golden highway…the early fractions were too strong…flattered…the race fell into his lap" guff. More fool me. Sometimes you should just believe the evidence of your own eyes.

davidjohnson
    • Total Posts 4491

That was Arazi-like as he scithed through the pack. Impressive.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.